Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-12-2015, 02:52 PM   #1
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Default Falcon Turbo six, most power potential from factory in the world

As the title says, is the Falcon six cyclinder turbo with say a manual gearbox the best Factory turbo 6 Cyclinder engine ever built. I mean the supra and GTR were fast but there factory turbos were terrible. As a stock engine with say just injectors and inter cooler and fuel pump was this engine the most potent engine made with regards to stock turbo and stock engine. I have heard of 400rwkw with a stock BF OR FG Engine on E85 with just waste gate ported. I can't think of another car world wide that with stock engine and turbo can make this much power without changing the turbo or rebuilding the engine. Could it be that the Aussie 6 with turbo is in fact the best turbo 6 to ever leave an automotive factory with regards to power output potential with only tune and some bolt ons. Any comparison you have must retain the factory turbo. Maybe we have become all to use to having the XR6 turbo and actually forget what we have.
Old 19-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #2
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Default Re: Falcon Turbo six, most power potential from factory in the world

I would say yes. The RB26 and 2JZ can get to around 400rwhp I think with the standard turbos. The Ford goes well past that.

I don't know if there are any other 6s out there with big power. Maybe the Euros.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #3
sexyxe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bmw m4?
sexyxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
barnz_xr8
Turbo 358W

2jz supra's had Manley h beam rods stock and forged pistons, so the power handling potential is there.
barnz_xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2015, 03:37 PM   #5
barnz_xr8
Turbo 358W

but you are right, damn even bf xr6t's stock turbo and can make 330rwkw.
Old 19-12-2015, 03:46 PM   #6
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

You can't say one car had a terrible turbo and turn around and upgrade the terrible parts on another
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #7
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

911 turbo 450kw+, Nissan GTR 360kW, BMW M3 316kW. No good?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #8
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
You can't say one car had a terrible turbo and turn around and upgrade the terrible parts on another
Exactly, if it's fine to do valve springs and fuel pump on a Barra then it's fine to chuck a decent turbo on another motor.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2015, 03:44 PM   #9
ravenhard

R35 GTR has 404kw stock from the factory at the fly. I imagine could go a whole lot more with tune and minor upgrades as well
ravenhard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2015, 07:58 PM   #10
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fact that the inline 6 can even be compared in this group of engines is praise enough and if you factor in cost its even better.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2015, 08:00 PM   #11
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
The fact that the inline 6 can even be compared in this group of engines is praise enough and if you factor in cost its even better.
Not really, the R35 GTR is the closest in capacity that has been compared, and is still smaller.
Old 20-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #12
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
This. Holdens 'state of the art' AlloyTec range of motors and Toyota's 'game changing' 2GR motors are nowhere close to the reputed RB, VR38, 2JZ and Barra motors. Amazing what grandpa's axe when coupled with Aussie ingenuity can do. If only the Barra had been direct injected in its last incarnation... We can only dream
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 10:03 PM   #13
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
This. Holdens 'state of the art' AlloyTec range of motors and Toyota's 'game changing' 2GR motors are nowhere close to the reputed RB, VR38, 2JZ and Barra motors. Amazing what grandpa's axe when coupled with Aussie ingenuity can do. If only the Barra had been direct injected in its last incarnation... We can only dream
GM spent squillions developing that engine and two new plants to build it. They apparently benchmarked competitor engines from Honda, Nissan and Toyota. And yet it couldn't, and still cant, match the effectiveness of the DOHC Ford Inline 6 (both turbo and N/A) that was developed on a show string.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2015, 11:08 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
GM spent squillions developing that engine and two new plants to build it. They apparently benchmarked competitor engines from Honda, Nissan and Toyota. And yet it couldn't, and still cant, match the effectiveness of the DOHC Ford Inline 6 (both turbo and N/A) that was developed on a show string.
Its just a bloody massive pile of crap that Alloytec boat anchor, we've had no crap around 10 VZ-VE V6 Commodores in for engine light issues in the last week, and two of them for oil pressure sensors.

One of the VEs in my workshop at the moment has done timing chains at 57,000km.

The 6L V8s, no problems, you get the odd one in for an alternator or starter motor, and there are a bazillion of these in my region, but the V6 ones, my god keeping me in business.

They shouldn't have ditched the 3.8L V6, the Ecotec was a solid engine with good reliability.

You ask any mechanic about that 3.6L V6 Alloytec and no one has anything nice to say about it.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2015, 11:19 PM   #15
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Yeah have heard they are bad for timing chains which there is no real excuses for. They are only using a similar system and chain to many others so why they can't get 200,000kms out of a chain is beyond me. I know they also suffer from bad build up on the back of the inlet valves from the direct injection which does not spray fuel on the back of the valves and clean them like normal injection does

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Its just a bloody massive pile of crap that Alloytec boat anchor, we've had no crap around 10 VZ-VE V6 Commodores in for engine light issues in the last week, and two of them for oil pressure sensors.

One of the VEs in my workshop at the moment has done timing chains at 57,000km.

The 6L V8s, no problems, you get the odd one in for an alternator or starter motor, and there are a bazillion of these in my region, but the V6 ones, my god keeping me in business.

They shouldn't have ditched the 3.8L V6, the Ecotec was a solid engine with good reliability.

You ask any mechanic about that 3.6L V6 Alloytec and no one has anything nice to say about it.
Old 20-12-2015, 11:25 PM   #16
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 3.8 would've needed to grow to 4.5l+ to remain competitive in power/torque.

Evidently they now have a 4.3l V6 based on the GenV architecture dubbed LV3.
Old 19-12-2015, 08:09 PM   #17
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Hmm Im going to say cubic effiency the RB26DETT, 2JZGTE and especially the VR38DETT are all further ahead.

As for power handling of the stock internals Im going to call them all out as being better again.

Last edited by 99AUXR; 19-12-2015 at 08:17 PM.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #18
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Maybe change the thread title to Australian built and you may have a contender, not the world.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2015, 09:45 PM   #19
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a guy on here that's a run 10.99 with 390rwkw on E85 I think. Used stock cooler and exhaust, but had valve springs, dump, cat and E85 fuel system. I think BFB that is amazing. It's not going to hold together for too long but if you're sympathetic it's not exactly and unreliable set up too. I've know BF F6's to be had for as low as $11k, add less than $3k in mods and tuning for a $14k 10 second car - with all the creature comforts that a BF F6 came with.
FPV414 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2015, 10:00 PM   #20
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

What I'm saying here is that while cars like the R35 GTR and BMW M4 might be fast stock, I don't think theres much in the way of getting big power out of them without changing the turbos. Again one could say that these types of cars are not even really a fair comparison but as I did say the best in the world it's still a fair call. There are guys I know making 450rwkw on a stock engine and turbo FG F6 on e85. I don't believe there is any stock turboed GTR's with stock turbos doing this or for that matter any other cars with Stock turbos making this much power. Valve springs are needed in any car making big power no matter what, check out Nismo or Any other hot euro tuner. So to say you can't change parts on one and not the other is not the point I'm trying to make. What other stock engine and stock turbo car can make 450rwkw and let's be honest the only close contenders are 3 to 6 times the price and even than it would be a very close call on if that was even possible. Maybe just maybe the best ever volume built engine of all time for power potential is built right here in Aus. Now would it be that bad if it was .
Old 20-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #21
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
What I'm saying here is that while cars like the R35 GTR and BMW M4 might be fast stock, I don't think theres much in the way of getting big power out of them without changing the turbos. Again one could say that these types of cars are not even really a fair comparison but as I did say the best in the world it's still a fair call. There are guys I know making 450rwkw on a stock engine and turbo FG F6 on e85. I don't believe there is any stock turboed GTR's with stock turbos doing this or for that matter any other cars with Stock turbos making this much power. Valve springs are needed in any car making big power no matter what, check out Nismo or Any other hot euro tuner. So to say you can't change parts on one and not the other is not the point I'm trying to make. What other stock engine and stock turbo car can make 450rwkw and let's be honest the only close contenders are 3 to 6 times the price and even than it would be a very close call on if that was even possible. Maybe just maybe the best ever volume built engine of all time for power potential is built right here in Aus. Now would it be that bad if it was .
I think most, well me anyway, were simply responding to your blanket statement in the OP.

But bang for your buck the I6T has no peers, I see great results from the S/C 5.0, but a 5.0 car is still a fair bit more expensive than what a XR6T or even F6 can be picked up for.

I'm hoping they don't increase in value, so I can keep plucking off cheap daily low km barra 6Ts for a few years to come.
Old 19-12-2015, 11:04 PM   #22
shaness8

Value for money can't beat the turbo barra, just imagine what the barra could have been with further development.
Old 19-12-2015, 11:08 PM   #23
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaness8 View Post
Value for money can't beat the turbo barra, just imagine what the barra could have been with further development.
Yeah imagine if they'd gone Ecoboost with it with direct injection and the Ecoboost software which is the secret to the Ecoboosts power.
Old 19-12-2015, 11:20 PM   #24
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Yep Iam a big fan of the turbo 6 cyclinder

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 12:36 AM   #25
matador
Banned

Top cars.. crazy fast with basic mods.
matador is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 01:16 AM   #26
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Fastest stock turbo, stock engine R35 is 9.73 @ 142mph and it's still a fairly hefty car. Damn the 2014's run 10.90's from factory.

But yes the Barra is a great engine no doubt
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2015, 09:58 AM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bang for buck it is hard to go past the big six, how much torque do these other expensive turbo sixes make ?
have a look at this bad boy , not far from breaking into the eights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG2TylsSZBE
nizpro motor 1163 hp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2eWHNSaSZU

another bad boy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RePyipH01-U
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #28
barnz_xr8
Turbo 358W

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
bang for buck it is hard to go past the big six, how much torque do these other expensive turbo sixes make ?
have a look at this bad boy , not far from breaking into the eights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG2TylsSZBE
nizpro motor 1163 hp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2eWHNSaSZU

another bad boy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RePyipH01-U
man that purple xr6t could use a 2 speed glide to tame down the launch some.
Old 20-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #29
Angeldust

wouldn't it be preferable if it was a shorter stroke motor? with the long stroke, it will always be a tractor motor..

:P

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #30
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust View Post
wouldn't it be preferable if it was a shorter stroke motor? with the long stroke, it will always be a tractor motor..

:P
That's the beauty of the engine, torques everywhere. I don't see the point of short stroke high revving buzz box that is largely off boost and needs it's neck wrung before anything happens.
3 users like this post: