Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default E10 vs E85 petrol type

Hi all,

Just wondering - E85 (at least from United) uses 15% premium (98) unleaded and has an octane of around 105-107.
But looks like E10 only uses regular unleaded for it's petrol content and has an octane of only 95?

So am I right in assuming that for a car tuned with flex fuel for 98 and E85, I shouldn't use E10, even though it has the magical E in the name? I should really only stick to E85 or 98 or a mix of both?
cat007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: E10 vs E85 petrol type

My 2 turbos run happily and economically on E10 but I’d think the E85 would be needed for the anti knock tuned ones which are tuned for min tailpipe emissions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
nstg8a

Correct. If it’s tuned for e85 and 98 I’d stay clear of e10 unless in an emergency. If you have to run it don’t load it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat007 View Post
Hi all,

Just wondering - E85 (at least from United) uses 15% premium (98) unleaded and has an octane of around 105-107.
But looks like E10 only uses regular unleaded for it's petrol content and has an octane of only 95?

So am I right in assuming that for a car tuned with flex fuel for 98 and E85, I shouldn't use E10, even though it has the magical E in the name? I should really only stick to E85 or 98 or a mix of both?
We have 91 octane E10 as well man and 94 E10, the problem here in QLD at least do not always display the octane rating, that's insane ! I could blow my carby fed bike up if I did not know that fact.

I filled up the wife's Aurion with BP 91 E10 and the difference between running 94 E10 is a huge power difference, just as 91 unleaded is to 95 unleaded is huge.
Some Caltex is E10 is 91 octane and some is 94 E10, all BP is 91 E10 that I have seen, but Shell E10 I do not know.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #5
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The OP used the term "flex fuel". If this is the case then the EFI system should have an fuel octane sensor built into it.

If it does, then the car should run on anything from 91 to E85, depending on the tune program. The programmer may not have allowed for the use of lower octane fuel, so really he is the only person who could answer that question.

If it doesn't have an octane sensor, I can't see how it could accept E85 & 98 or whatever.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-11-2019, 02:01 PM   #6
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

there is no fuel octane sensor

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
I read up on it ... and it just reads Ethanol Content by the looks of it within the Flex fuel sensor
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I wouldn't use any of it, my Son started using E10 when he bought his S2 VE 3.0l SIDI which is E85 compatible and it started having starting trouble, diagnosed as fuel pump fault, was going to cost a fortune to fix so I suggested using normal 91and the problem went away and ran fine for months, accidently put it in again and sure enough started playing up again.
Considering the number of VE fuel pump issues you hear about, I wouldn't be surprised if there's nothing wrong with the pump and it's actually the E fuel causing it.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2019, 06:20 PM   #9
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I wouldn't use any of it, my Son started using E10 when he bought his S2 VE 3.0l SIDI which is E85 compatible and it started having starting trouble, diagnosed as fuel pump fault, was going to cost a fortune to fix so I suggested using normal 91and the problem went away and ran fine for months, accidently put it in again and sure enough started playing up again.
Considering the number of VE fuel pump issues you hear about, I wouldn't be surprised if there's nothing wrong with the pump and it's actually the E fuel causing it.
This is exactly why people who use E fuel for the first time never use it again.
If you have never put E fuel in say a 5 year old car and then you do, the Ethanol has just mixed with whatever amount of water you have in your tank.
Yes that's right every fuel tank will over time accumulate moisture.
And Boom!!!! rough running, hard starting.....Oh must be the E fuel?
I'm never using that again!!!!!
Old 19-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #10
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs View Post
This is exactly why people who use E fuel for the first time never use it again.

If you have never put E fuel in say a 5 year old car and then you do, the Ethanol has just mixed with whatever amount of water you have in your tank.

Yes that's right every fuel tank will over time accumulate moisture.

And Boom!!!! rough running, hard starting.....Oh must be the E fuel?

I'm never using that again!!!!!

Exactly. Any fuel change needs a few tanks run through before you see any consistent changes or benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #11
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How did the tuner tune for 98 & E85 without fitting a flex-fuel sensor ?

The difference in fuel density (read volume) alone would be enough to require 2 different maps.

Dr Terry
Old 15-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #12
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post

The difference in fuel density (read volume) alone would be enough to require 2 different maps.

Dr Terry

As in my first post, car is tuned with a flex fuel sensor on 98 and E85 (also has PCMTec's multi tune).

Further reading shows that PUMP E10, while having 10% ethanol, has a much lower octane rating than an mix of 98 and E85 as E85 is mixed with 15% 98 where-as PUMP E10 uses 90% of 'regular' (read: 91 octane) unleaded.

So in short - if your car has flex fuel and is tuned to run on 98 octane or E85 (~107 octane) then you cannot just use PUMP E10 as this only has a 95 octane. You could drive on it, if you had to, but nurse it.
Old 15-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #13
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As in my first post, car is tuned with a flex fuel sensor on 98 and E85 (also has PCMTec's multi tune).

Further reading shows that PUMP E10, while having 10% ethanol, has a much lower octane rating than an mix of 98 and E85 as E85 is mixed with 15% 98 where-as PUMP E10 uses 90% of 'regular' (read: 91 octane) unleaded.

So in short - if your car has flex fuel and is tuned to run on 98 octane or E85 (~107 octane) then you cannot just use PUMP E10 as this only has a 95 octane. You could drive on it, if you had to, but nurse it.
I don't quite get it.

There isn't a huge difference in the octane rating or fuel volume between E10 (95) & 98, however there is quite a big difference between 98 & E85 (which according to my info is 105 RON). If the guy can tune 2 maps for those 2 fuels, why can't another fuel which is only 3 RON less, be used.

At most Sydney servos they quote E10 as 94 RON, so as not to confuse it with 95 Premium.

Holden's flex-fuel tuning caters for 91, 94/95 (E10), 95 Prem, 98 Prem & E85 using the same flex-fuel sensor.

Dr Terry
Old 15-11-2019, 06:38 PM   #14
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't quite get it.

There isn't a huge difference in the octane rating or fuel volume between E10 (95) & 98, however there is quite a big difference between 98 & E85 (which according to my info is 105 RON). If the guy can tune 2 maps for those 2 fuels, why can't another fuel which is only 3 RON less, be used.

At most Sydney servos they quote E10 as 94 RON, so as not to confuse it with 95 Premium.

Holden's flex-fuel tuning caters for 91, 94/95 (E10), 95 Prem, 98 Prem & E85 using the same flex-fuel sensor.

Dr Terry

I assume the problem comes that even on wastegate pressure on E85 I'm making 270rwkw and on 98 that's probably around 220-230rwkw. There's not much you can do to detune it to run on 91 other than pull timing, but that's a waste of time. If I wanted a slow car that runs on 91 I'd just buy a Holden.
Old 15-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #15
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:

Dr Terry
I think his point was more that it measures ethanol content, not octane.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2019, 07:26 PM   #16
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:

Dr Terry
as mentioned already, a ethanol sensor is used to see the ethanol content of the fuel being used and the fuel, spark and boost maps can be automatically adjusted to how ever the tuner sees fit.
We have done quite a few now including my own car and the system works great and gives a great deal of tuneability to the car and all without the owner having to stress what fuel is in the car.

I think you may be confusing octane rating and ethanol percentage

2 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2019, 09:37 AM   #17
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
as mentioned already, a ethanol sensor is used to see the ethanol content of the fuel being used and the fuel, spark and boost maps can be automatically adjusted to how ever the tuner sees fit.
We have done quite a few now including my own car and the system works great and gives a great deal of tuneability to the car and all without the owner having to stress what fuel is in the car.

I think you may be confusing octane rating and ethanol percentage
So you're saying that the flex-fuel sensor is only sensing the ethanol percentage & not the RON of the fuel.

How then does it work in the factory Holden SIDI set-up where it senses whether you are using 91 or 98 premium & adjusts the fuel & timing maps according when these 2 fuels have 0% ethanol.

I know it's the very same sensor, I sell these at work to the various dyno shops in the area.

Dr Terry
Old 16-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #18
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So you're saying that the flex-fuel sensor is only sensing the ethanol percentage & not the RON of the fuel.

How then does it work in the factory Holden SIDI set-up where it senses whether you are using 91 or 98 premium & adjusts the fuel & timing maps according when these 2 fuels have 0% ethanol.

I know it's the very same sensor, I sell these at work to the various dyno shops in the area.

Dr Terry
It won't use that sensor to detect RON and change timing. That's not what a flex fuel sensor is for or able to do.

I reckon those cars just use a knock sensor to detect and change ignition timing. Assumes 98 on start up until it detects knock early on then changes ignition map to a 95 map, then 91 etc....

That's my guess.

They won't actually be detecting the RON of the fuel.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 16-11-2019, 12:39 PM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

Dr Terry
With petrol, I think it's a case of the ECU advancing timing until it detects knock and then backs off
that knock level is long before we hear it so is pretty safe for machines to measure and adjust
without any damage being done.

No doubt Flex fuel vehicles do this but I suspect they also detect the level of ethanol present
in the fuel so that the air fuel mixture is optimised to the ethanol blend present.

I think the issue with E10 versus RON 98 is not actually the RON number
but more the difference in MON as a measure of detonation resistance under load
E10 has Mon of about 83, not much above regular non blended fuel where
RON 98 has a MON of around 88, much safer for boosted engines.

I do wonder about using E10 as a sub for vehicles that require RON 95,
it might work but it could also equally lean the mixture enough to expose
detonation prone areas in the fuel map...

Ethanol when blended actually changes its RON /MON in a non-linear way from pure state
Its RON can be anywhere between 120 and 135 and the MON 100-106,
the ethanol itself in higher amounts has a dampening effect on detonation
and is generally why E85 can produce wicked amounts of power.....

Last edited by jpd80; 16-11-2019 at 12:46 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #20
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi all,

E85 is 85% ethanol hence the higher octane rating.
E10 is only 10% ethanol. If your car is tuned for any mixture between 98 and E85 then do not run E10 under any circumstances.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #21
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cat is correct.
There is no such thing as a RON sensor, there is an electronic hand held sensor, but they are not reliable enough to trust for engine control

Old 16-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #22
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

E85 rules. Makes great power. Barra turbo flex conversions and tunes are the way to go now.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #23
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many modern vehicles can adjust for e10 while in closed loop fuel control and their fuel maps are rich enough so the e10 lean factor is not an issue, but many still recommend the minimum octane rating is still met

Old 16-11-2019, 08:43 PM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Many modern vehicles can adjust for e10 while in closed loop fuel control and their fuel maps are rich enough so the e10 lean factor is not an issue, but many still recommend the minimum octane rating is still met
The issue with lean out is not light throttle closed loop, it more of full throttle enrichment.
Unblended fuel requires around 12.7 to 1,where E10 needs more like 12.3 to 1 so a modern
engine might behave as if running at a leaner 13 to 1 on unblended petrol. Yes, it's a small
change but as I suggested earlier, it also comes with a slightly increased chance of detonation .
Not a certainty by any means bit something to consider.

Last edited by jpd80; 16-11-2019 at 08:49 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #25
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fair enough, that's quite a good explanation.

Dr Terry
Old 16-11-2019, 09:39 PM   #26
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fuel maps are rich enough in open loop to be safe

Old 17-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #27
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The fuel maps are rich enough in open loop to be safe
When running 91 unleaded and filling up on E10 what happens when I start the car directly after filling up is that she starts hunting, the tacho needle is bouncing up and down 500 rpm or so, until she does this about 6 times until she works out what the go is.
So she must know the difference of the fuel and adjust to it directly.
2015 model car.
So it must adjust in closed loop mode.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #28
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fuel trims will correct in closed loop fuel control, but there is a small delay after starting before closed loop becomes active

Old 18-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #29
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The falcon ecu only retards spark, it will add it back if knock is not detected

Old 18-11-2019, 07:49 PM   #30
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Thats why its good to use E10. Sucks up the water.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post