Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #1
Richad

Post Traffic Camera Viewer Development Help

Hi everyone,

I am currently writing an application which incorporates the traffic cameras (not speed cameras!) of most australian states . Basically this program will contain all publicly available traffic cameras. My question is whether I am allowed to ask for volunteers to test the program?

Just a couple of things:

The program is freeware and will always remain free
I am not posting this to advertise anything - I simply need some user input.

If that is against forum rules, my apologies.

Anyway these are some details of the software:

I hope the following will make the software a little clearer and easier to understand. ATC (Australian Traffic Cameras) does not prevent you from getting speeding fines, it does not keep you out of traffic jams or heavy traffic. It does however create added convenience, easier use of the camera networks around the country and adds plenty of entertainment.

The ultimate goal of this software is to make a program which is a unified source of all webcam images available in australian states. The program is sitting currently at beta 2 with over 70 cameras already loaded into it. The integration process of traffic cameras is very slow as a lot of coding is involved.

The latest build (from late last week) with the main navigation window, Australian map and the currently available states. In the status bar, you`ll find the current time (set by local computer) and a network check on startup. If the network cannot be found, you may not be able to use the software.

Example of navigational layout (in this case NSW), radio buttons are used to open the next window which contains a collection of latest traffic camera images.

This screen shows Sydney metro camera grabs.The preview screens are live images and are only refreshed upon relaunch of the software. This keeps software performance to a maximum while giving a glance of traffic conditions. Full sized images can be retreived by clicking on the wanted camera. A user can also jump directly from one area to another from any window (toolbar). By using live images, I get around the issue of copyright protected content. Since nothing is stored or saved, the software behaves a bit like a web-browser. Only in a sense of retreiving images and nothing else. All windows operate exactly the same making navigation easier and keeping in line with coding practice.

The live traffic window above has been completely re-written to include a better layout (better looking aswell), new code to improve performance and easier usage of inclduded features. This includes always on top, ticker stop and start and saving of images (where allowed by copyright), all images are centred and maintain their original size and shape keeping images looking sharp. All images are refreshed by timer class every 60 seconds. The 60 second ticker routing keeps performance and refresh rate balanced.

The exact location can be viewed from within google maps as well.

Thanks for reading,

Richad

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post