Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #34
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Production based racing really helped with the durabilty of the cars you buy. I don't know much about what Ford did. But it's clear to see on the Holden 5 litre. The later blocks were full of race proven parts from back in the glory days. You got the strengthend block, A9l rods, double row chain. You end up with a block that will do the 7500 rpm required all day, unlike the early version.

I bet even the famous and very impressive VN heads were a direct result of racing (even though the group A heads had bigger ports again). You can bet you would have got none of that if Supercars were running around since the 70s .

I've thought about it alot...... can you go to production based cars? I'm not sure, it would probably end up going badly with companys releasing race specials like last time. If it was strictly for base V8/turbo 6 models with no mods apart from safety then I think it can work. The Falcons would need to gain a few seconds a lap from somewhere to compete but at least it would give them some insperation.

But yes I hate supercars with their stupid almost auto boxes and thin fake shells and everything else about them , it's full of failure and has been going downhill at a rapid rate since 1993.

P.S a 60km/h limit around flagged areas with crashed cars would be 100000x better than having a safety car at Bathurst

Last edited by greenfoam; 14-10-2009 at 08:25 AM.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post