Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-09-2021, 10:55 PM   #11
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Best value V8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
E39 LS3. There was one here advertised not long ago, was VERY tempted. Manual too. Around $20k if I recall correctly.

Did some research, whilst its a popular swap, there are a lot of pitfalls that the youtubers don't tell you about. In the end, wasn't brave enough to take the punt.
Always keep an eye out for old mercs and BMWs, especially if can tow from a regional area as they were popular nationwide for those in the regions that were cashed up during the good times.
Lots of bargains, lot of owners that can't afford to pay their mech as they bought them for status symbols and can't DIY and it's a simple fix (with old ones).
E39 is a bit too new, a bit too many "modern problems" for me, but there's a lot of older ones that would suit saving and engine swapping if you want a crate v8.
Even if you don't want to risk it you could probably flip it to someone who will and make some money. Need a tow rig, trailer and willing to drive to rural areas, plus be checking fb enthusiast groups.

I can't do it myself, but I jumped on one bmw because the design and looks sure are unique and worth saving. Not the e39 though, looks like a cross between mits front and toyota rear.

E: If anyone is a fan of the e30, I think the e46 is going to be the next craze. Personally I'd get a 320i wagon and put a m54b30 in it, but any of them with a v8 would be sweet too.

Last edited by oldel; 25-09-2021 at 11:08 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post