Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 24-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #14011
Metdevil

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
But thats why we are in the mess, somehow we thought we could hold this off, I am so sick of hearing about "delta', CV19 is CV19 and we had ages to get in better order and we didnt.

Now people are over it and those who want a jab are trying to get it done so we can test the Gov on when we can open up and live with it.
Oh definitely. I remember the topic being that politicians didn't want to overreact all the way back in March 2020. I'll bet nobody thought they'd underreact for the next ~20 months instead.

Ah, remember the good ol' days of when the vaccine was considered a distant 'Plan C'?
This user likes this post:
Old 24-08-2021, 03:32 PM   #14012
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Thanks mate but in reality I am a little different from others, a bit like Galileo Galilei with his helicopter design, just imagine the 15th century and he designs an "air screw" operated by 4 men!....
He was watching maple seeds fall and that gave him the idea, it was proved in Canada 20 years ago maybe, could of been later, guess what! It worked!

What I would like to see on this forum is a function where you can thank yourself for your own posts

Cheers Billy
Yeah all talking in MSM circles & then back slapping each other in agreement... not willing to dig around themselves & then weigh things up....
Old 24-08-2021, 03:34 PM   #14013
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Doesn't matter anymore. Gladys has made the call for the entire east coast what the strategy will be.

NSW has been reminding us recently they have the best CHO, best contract tracers and now the best vaccinators... in the world. The NSW govt love telling people how they are the best. And if they have decided something, then best we just do as she says.

The gaslighting that has been the NSW press conferences over the last two months are interesting.

It's very depressing.
Let me tell you that being dab smack in the middle of it down here, today was the first time I felt a bit of hope that we're going to box through this. The end-game got here sooner than anyone thought... but it's here nonetheless.
5 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2021, 03:43 PM   #14014
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Thanks mate but in reality I am a little different from others, a bit like Galileo Galilei with his helicopter design, just imagine the 15th century and he designs an "air screw" operated by 4 men!....
He was watching maple seeds fall and that gave him the idea, it was proved in Canada 20 years ago maybe, could of been later, guess what! It worked!

What I would like to see on this forum is a function where you can thank yourself for your own posts

Cheers Billy
DaVinci's design Billy!!

And the human powered one that worked, was 1 man, no Archimedes screw and a lightweight racing bike that powered 4 huge rotors.

But I love your thinking anyway!!!

Old 24-08-2021, 03:50 PM   #14015
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Let me tell you that being dab smack in the middle of it down here, today was the first time I felt a bit of hope that we're going to box through this. The end-game got here sooner than anyone thought... but it's here nonetheless.
Are you hoping this is the beginning of a downward trend in cases? I hope so, but don't share your optimism.

I'm more miffed at Galdys and her opinion that the rest of Australia needs to get on board with her strategy. It's TV smashing stuff to watch her talk. Fair enough for her to make decisions for NSW, but she is making decisions for Australia now.
Old 24-08-2021, 04:08 PM   #14016
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Are you hoping this is the beginning of a downward trend in cases? I hope so, but don't share your optimism.

I'm more miffed at Galdys and her opinion that the rest of Australia needs to get on board with her strategy. It's TV smashing stuff to watch her talk. Fair enough for her to make decisions for NSW, but she is making decisions for Australia now.
I have been thinking about this a bit lately, and I am starting to think that without failure we cannot succeed. The fact that everyone has "a choice" about if and when they get vaccinated. When their are no cases, people don't make their choice. There is a bigger reason why NZ and AU are slow on the uptake, and isn't entirely either leaders fault.

Vaccination is still the only way out, (except for the antivax one, which none of the members who keep jumping in here will elaborate on. How it works, how many die, they just ignore those questions).

I would actually say that if we didn't have failures with big outbreaks, we would never get to 70%. And where would that leave us?

4 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2021, 04:09 PM   #14017
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:

No, I don't think this is the downwards trend just yet, more a well-placed blow from a few weeks back that has rocked Covid back on it's heels. I still think we'll breach 1k this week.

I'm more in awe of the 6m jab milestone, especially when it's being led by the demographics that we were happily bashing for the past month or so. They stepped up.

You sound like how I feel when I see danny dim sim
5 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2021, 04:13 PM   #14018
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

So changed your mind yet on the Fed vs State power wars in these situations?

Perhaps we have it anyway, lucky/shame Vic isnt Liberal at the moment (although the current Libs are nothing like the former ones, they are as pathetic as Andrews and Co).
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2021, 04:16 PM   #14019
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
I have been thinking about this a bit lately, and I am starting to think that without failure we cannot succeed. The fact that everyone has "a choice" about if and when they get vaccinated. When their are no cases, people don't make their choice. There is a bigger reason why NZ and AU are slow on the uptake, and isn't entirely either leaders fault.

Vaccination is still the only way out, (except for the antivax one, which none of the members who keep jumping in here will elaborate on. How it works, how many die, they just ignore those questions).

I would actually say that if we didn't have failures with big outbreaks, we would never get to 70%. And where would that leave us?
Good point, society and lets face it some of us here do not pull our fingers out collectively unless we have too.

I would like to think if this disease was more visible then people would have reacted differently.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 24-08-2021, 04:26 PM   #14020
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
here here, time we moved ahead instead of standing still.
Get infections down, oh ok now we can out, next moment were lockedown again.
Surely people are over this......

Yep it was either NSW OR VIC that was going to be the road runner.
Someone has to, wasn't gonna be any other State thats sure and glad its us tbh.
Yes its going to be a scary ride for us all but we got to move ahead, sadly some won't they will suffer, some will leave us, its sucks but we must.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
3 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2021, 04:33 PM   #14021
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very happy that NSW residents are seeing green shoots. Always good to stay positive.

At some point, the rest of the country needs to realise that it is an absolute race to get jabbed before NSW opens up. Because, I can see how this story is going to play out already. QLD and Vic....look out!

If you can believe Vic gov data, approx 15,000 AZ appointments have been cancelled since the annoucement that Pfizer has been approved for under 40s. Great annoucement, but there is currently insufficient supply on the ground to meet all the under 40s demand. Looks like we will be going backwards before moving forward in the short term.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2021, 04:36 PM   #14022
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Very happy that NSW residents are seeing green shoots. Always good to stay positive.

At some point, the rest of the country needs to realise that it is an absolute race to get jabbed before NSW opens up. Because, I can see how this story is going to play out already. QLD and Vic....look out!

If you can believe Vic gov data, approx 15,000 AZ appointments have been cancelled since the annoucement that Pfizer has been approved for under 40s. Great annoucement, but there is currently insufficient supply on the ground to meet all the under 40s demand. Looks like we will be going backwards before moving forward in the short term.
Huh...I just saw a post on our local shire FB page that we were "allotted" 3000 shots and to roll up, roll up on the weekend. I am meeting AZ tomorrow but a bit miffed about having to wait 12 weeks for the next?

My wife had her 2nd Pfizer shot yesterday and had to take today off, cold sweats and some chattering from the shivers but as slept most of the day so hopefully OK.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2021, 04:38 PM   #14023
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
So changed your mind yet on the Fed vs State power wars in these situations?

Perhaps we have it anyway, lucky/shame Vic isnt Liberal at the moment (although the current Libs are nothing like the former ones, they are as pathetic as Andrews and Co).
I've seen Gladys in action. She is the same as Scomo.

The order goes
Sydney
NSW
Maybe some other state
Then the rest

If Scomo ran the states. You can be sure that it would be Sydney/NSW first, then other states a distant, distant 3rd.

Melbourne has issues last year and there was a congo line of Libs laying into him. Gladys screwed the pooch this year and we had scomo on the telly breathlessly telling us it was a national emergency.

I know people in another state who have been booked in for a vaccination this week that have had them cancelled. The reason. No deliveries of pfizer coming. I also know people in Sydney who say they have booked in with a 2 day wait.

Not really fair is it? Especially as Gladys is sprinting to reach her finish line and damn the rest. I'll take all your pfizers...

I'm in no way an labor person, but this double set of standards we are seeing is sickening.
Old 24-08-2021, 04:52 PM   #14024
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I've seen Gladys in action. She is the same as Scomo.

The order goes
Sydney
NSW
Maybe some other state
Then the rest

I'm in no way an labor person, but this double set of standards we are seeing is sickening.

Old 24-08-2021, 05:27 PM   #14025
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post

Correct, that saying the quick and the dead seems appropiate - just saying it in a nice way.

cs123, yep it sucks, thats our pollies, has got worse as the decades go by mind you I couldn't rate many in the past as the beacons of leadership as well.
They all have/had their favs and own agendas, the worst thing since WW11 will forever be remembered during Scomo/Glady and Dans, throw in the palace chook tenures for all have been XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX in the big picture plus the media and on the mention of AZ and cancellations not just in Vic everywhere in many case's Thanks Qld's Young for its down right disgusting a CHO being so divided from the rest.
The damage has been set by many, if it wasn't Scomo and supporting cast if would be someone else for its really shown up the divide/s between the States.
4 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2021, 05:40 PM   #14026
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Correct, that saying the quick and the dead seems appropiate - just saying it in a nice way.

cs123, yep it sucks, thats our pollies, has got worse as the decades go by mind you I couldn't rate many in the past as the beacons of leadership as well.
They all have/had their favs and own agendas, the worst thing since WW11 will forever be remembered during Scomo/Glady and Dans, throw in the palace chook tenures for all have been XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX in the big picture plus the media and on the mention of AZ and cancellations not just in Vic everywhere in many case's Thanks Qld's Young for its down right disgusting a CHO being so divided from the rest.
The damage has been set by many, if it wasn't Scomo and supporting cast if would be someone else for its really shown up the divide/s between the States.

Sad that the thing that really messed with us was the vaccine rollout. Not getting enough Pfizer then the debacle around AZ and it not being a race. If there was some urgency around vaccinations we’d be in a good place
Old 24-08-2021, 05:46 PM   #14027
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metdevil View Post
I would call it a failed 'Trans-Tasman Bubble', but yea, our quarantine was going great until tourism had to get involved

With no cases in the country for the last six months, we really had no rush for the vaccine. Now that Delta is finally here, that seems to have called attention to it.
I work with a lot of people who were eligible for it long before the outbreak but didn't get it because they felt there was no point.
Now, those people are all booked in to get the jab for some reason
:p

The roll out itself was fine, it was the MedSafe approval process that has been slow.
Gotta make sure it's safe after all, wouldn't want people thinking that it was rushed and hasn't been properly tested
cs123, if its not the roll out issues its peoples own reluctance that is part of the puzzle as well adding to supply demand and appointments.
Just look at the above as well re NZ.
5 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2021, 05:56 PM   #14028
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had my first astrazeneca injection yesterday morning; no side effects yet.
4 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2021, 07:11 PM   #14029
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Premier Andrews has to take some of the blame for Victorians cancelling there AZ shot this week.

Last week Premier Andrews said if things got worse,’ Next week we'll be like Sydney'.

Now some Victorians heard that and thought; like Sydney, better weather and a flash Opera house!

It's not wonder they cancelled their AZ shots.
Old 24-08-2021, 08:20 PM   #14030
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

The AZ stock pile in Aussie is currently 6Million doses, all sitting in a warehouse close to you.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 24-08-2021, 08:33 PM   #14031
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Premier Andrews has to take some of the blame for Victorians cancelling there AZ shot this week.

Last week Premier Andrews said if things got worse,’ Next week we'll be like Sydney'.

Now some Victorians heard that and thought; like Sydney, better weather and a flash Opera house!

It's not wonder they cancelled their AZ shots.

Good one we need a post like this in here

Morale is as soon as Pfizer is mentioned coming people cancel their earlier AZ shot.
Bravo Qlds Young for starters.
How long will it take for that State to get up to speed - oh it’s Qld tomorrow will do normal stations.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2021, 08:40 PM   #14032
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
The AZ stock pile in Aussie is currently 6Million doses, all sitting in a warehouse close to you.
That’s terrible. Maybe I can have a third shot?
2 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2021, 09:01 PM   #14033
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am upset that the Novavax Vaccine hasn't made it in time.
Australia still has 51 million doses on order, and looks like it will not be here until early next year.
With Moderna also arriving we will have 4 different ones available at some point.

With all the spare vaccines we can all get one of each, in each arm and each leg.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2021, 09:37 PM   #14034
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
I wonder why?.....is there a problem with storage, a breach of protocol?
Has some idiot screwed up and we have 6 million none usable doses?

This is from a Qld Gov website.

Cold chain breach
It is essential that vaccine temperatures are maintained during shipment and storage. Failure to store and handle vaccines properly can reduce vaccine potency, resulting in inadequate immune responses in patients and poor protection against disease. This can have significant public health ramifications.
A ‘cold chain breach’ occurs when vaccine storage temperatures deviate outside of the recommended range (temperature excursion). The COVID-19 vaccine (AstraZeneca) has the following storage requirements:
• For unpunctured vials, the listed expiry date when stored in a refrigerator (2ºC to 8ºC).
• After first opening, chemical and physical in-use stability has been demonstrated from the time of
vial puncture to administration for no more than:
o 6 hours at room temperature up to 30°C, or
o 48 hours in a refrigerator (2°C to 8°C)
The vial can be re-refrigerated, but after first opening the cumulative storage time at room temperature must not exceed 6 hours, and the total cumulative storage time must not exceed 48 hours.
When stored in the refrigerator a cold chain breach has occurred if vaccine storage temperatures have been outside the recommended range of +2°C to +8°C. Note: Temperature fluctuations up to +12°C, lasting no longer than 15 minutes, are not considered a cold chain breach and may occur when stock taking or restocking refrigerators.

Cheers Billy
Old 24-08-2021, 09:48 PM   #14035
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
That’s terrible. Maybe I can have a third shot?
I would not worry too much about which brand vaccine you get, their individual percentage effectiveness or side effects.

We will all be getting Covid booster shots every year (just like flu shots) for the foreseeable future, and probably mixing brands of boosters down the track.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2021, 11:22 PM   #14036
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has the vaccine roll out really been that slow?
Original predictions was to have 80% vaccinated by October, we are currently set to reach that target by December.
People are getting jabbed faster here than anywhere else in the world.

If it wasn't for the outbreak in NSW, no one would have gotten off their **** to get vaccinated in the first place.

Whether people like it or not, the country was going to have to accept covid eventually.
If the non-eastern states want to ever travel outside their little bubble, they need to face reality.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2021, 01:49 AM   #14037
hayseed

Quote:

I'm more miffed at Galdys and her opinion that the rest of Australia needs to get on board with her strategy. It's TV smashing stuff to watch her talk.
https://www.betootaadvocate.com/advo...or-45-minutes/
4 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2021, 06:58 AM   #14038
Stephenlk

I've had my second AZ shot about a month ago and had no side effects, however I have had friends that have had minor ones from the Pfizer. The possible long term side effects of Covid outwayy any possible side effects of any the vaccines. I am currently seeing an infectious diseases specialist for a lung infection and he has said the chances of getting clotting from AZ is 1 million to one, about the same as without getting the jab.
3 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2021, 07:16 AM   #14039
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see this morning that the W.A. Premier has basically told the Prime Minister that they are not going with the full plan of 70% & 80%, they are chasing zero cases as well

I wonder how ScoMo & Co will react to that little bit of news
2 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2021, 07:34 AM   #14040
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I see this morning that the W.A. Premier has basically told the Prime Minister that they are not going with the full plan of 70% & 80%, they are chasing zero cases as well

I wonder how ScoMo & Co will react to that little bit of news
Why should he react at all, the people of WA will for him. PM needs to keep the goal to get that target otherwise we will never get there.

If other states want to drag their feet then thats their issue, once a state hits 80 or whatever it is the time to get on with it.

If other states want to stay locked in fine, but, if someone is fully vaccinated and has no symptoms why cant I cross the border?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread