Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2006, 10:44 PM   #1
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Default Actual Proof Ford Drivers are better.

Media Release
Ford drivers take the chequered flag –away from the race track
With Australian motor racing’s biggest rivalry to be fought out again at this weekend’s Bathurst 1000, new research has found that, away from Mount Panorama at least, Ford drivers have an edge over the Holden counterparts.

Research from leading Australian insurer Suncorp has found that Ford drivers have around six percent fewer accidents than Holden drivers, whilst the average cost of their accidents was also marginally less.

This trend was evident in all age groups with Holden drivers under the age of 25 most likely to have an accident and Ford drivers between 56 and 70 years of age least likely to tangle with another car.

Daniel Fogarty, Suncorp’s general manager for motor insurance, said the claims data clearly showed Ford drivers were generally safer than those at the wheel of Holdens.

“Our claims data showed that, over the last two years, Ford drivers had 6 percent fewer accidents than Holden drivers and, on average, it cost less to repair the damage caused in these accidents.”

“We believe one of the main reasons for this, is that it is a reflection of the fact that Holden drivers typically do more miles than Ford drivers. Holden drivers are therefore statistically more likely to have a higher accident rate.”

Suncorp’s claims data showed that drivers of 1986 Holden Commodores should be particularly careful on the road – this model had the highest accident rate at about three time the national average.

Mr Fogarty said the huge public interest in the Bathurst 1000 demonstrated that Australia is a nation of car lovers and the rivalry between these two sets of car drivers will run for many years to come.

Notes for editors:

The table below shows the claims frequency (as a percentage) for Ford and Holden drivers between 1 July 2004 and 31 August 2006.

Age of driver Ford drivers claims (%) Holden drivers claims (%)

Under 25 years 18.4 20.0
25 – 28 years 16.5 17.1
29 – 35 years 16.4 16.6
36 – 45 years 14.7 15.2
46 – 55 years 13.5 14.0
56 – 70 years 12.4 13.6
71+ years 13.9 14.1

Source http://www.suncorp.com.au/suncorp/news/2006/oct_06.html
6 October 2006

Old 12-10-2006, 10:47 PM   #2
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

That is an interesting set of numbers.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

99% of the holden figures are due to the VK-VL-VN-VP-VR/VS-VT idiots

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2006, 11:08 PM   #4
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
if by "VK-VL-VN-VP-VR/VS-VT idiots" you mean those under 25, then no it's not. They only account for a 1.6% increase compared to their Ford counterparts.

You can only have two.
blutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 12:13 AM   #5
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Intersting fact. Ford driver appear to be around 3% better in most cases.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 12:25 AM   #6
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

have you ever had to drive a commodore ???

i`ve been stuck driving a VZ sedan for 5 weeks for work. it really makes me appreciate my BA UTE.

the falcon just feels safer from the time you sit in the drivers seat and the more time i spend in the commo the less i like it.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 02:29 AM   #7
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid

i`ve been stuck driving a VZ sedan for 5 weeks for work. it really makes me appreciate my BA UTE.

the falcon just feels safer from the time you sit in the drivers seat and the more time i spend in the commo the less i like it.

I couldn't agree with you more. No wonder Holden getting a bad name when young one get behind the wheel of crappydore. Now you know why Holden introduce the safety stability control to all VE range model.

Ford alway had number one rating in Australia family car in crash test rating and commowhore always last.

That the fact.

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 09:00 AM   #8
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats going to happen when a Young person buys a VE Omega, and throws aftermarket 18" wheels on it, Will that upset the stability control? As that is the main reason that ford wont fit it to the base XT with 16" wheels, the Calibration would be wrong? Go figure....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 09:07 AM   #9
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Media Release
“We believe one of the main reasons for this, is that it is a reflection of the fact that Holden drivers typically do more miles than Ford drivers. Holden drivers are therefore statistically more likely to have a higher accident rate.”
That suprises me that the avg Holden does more miles than the avg Ford. Why??

For a good part of recent history the Falcon has sold just as well (if not better) to fleets than the Commodore, but really suffered in private sales (mums and dads loved the VT,VX,VY much MUCH more than the AUI,II,II)

I guess tho that a 95% of Falcons/Commodores on our roads are now retired from fleets so their milage has nothing to do with business usage

Interesting point anyhow
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 09:10 AM   #10
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Yes and I am not sure they are as bad as you are making them out to be.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 09:19 AM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

"especially 1986 Commodores that are 3 times higher than the national average" ... I am presuming this is the myriad of VL drivers out there with no idea.

Especially all the VL Turbo drivers that love to give it a "dose" (God I hate that term). Uleh Bro.

And backing up dave351cid the VZ I drove recently at work felt like a death trap and was just plain unsafe to drive ... I felt so much safer to go back to my AU ute.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 10:49 AM   #12
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Quote:
Suncorp’s claims data showed that drivers of 1986 Holden Commodores should be particularly careful on the road – this model had the highest accident rate at about three time the national average.
How do ya feel Ryan? (jokes!)

As for preference, I drive vy - vz commodes for work every other day, an yeah I'm always glad to jump back into my ute, but at the same time they're vy acclaims and vz exec, verses a BaII xr6. Not exactly a fair comparison. Except, i guess for the seat-of-the-pants-o-meter. Holden might have a nice V8 (never been in a LS1 powered car), but the V6 IS TRAGIC. :
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #13
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Whats going to happen when a Young person buys a VE Omega, and throws aftermarket 18" wheels on it, Will that upset the stability control? As that is the main reason that ford wont fit it to the base XT with 16" wheels, the Calibration would be wrong? Go figure....
The stability will still work. Its a closed loop system and can adjust to different variables. Similar to ABS it will adjust itself to different grip levels if you buy new tyres.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #14
Scott

Holden drivers do more miles??? I doubt it when most Taxi's are Falcon's, trade based company cars are mostly Falcon Wagon's (used to be true, wasn't for a while but is becoming true again) and I would guess from the amount Falcon Ute's used by Mining & Resources and other industry's such as Electricity & Water that the kilometre's driven would weigh heavily in Ford drivers odometers.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 12:29 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Of all the courier driver's out there I see .... it's either LPG Falcon utes (mine being one) ... or diesel Hilux's. I think I have seen one Holden ute as a courier vehicle ... that's about it.

I'd say Suncorp's mileage statement is just speculation and has no fact behind it.
Old 13-10-2006, 12:40 PM   #16
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
Beat your mother drives one of them models?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
Holden drivers do more miles??? I doubt it when most Taxi's are Falcon's, trade based company cars are mostly Falcon Wagon's (used to be true, wasn't for a while but is becoming true again) and I would guess from the amount Falcon Ute's used by Mining & Resources and other industry's such as Electricity & Water that the kilometre's driven would weigh heavily in Ford drivers odometers.
I actually meet a guy when i was having my bonnet hinges done. He came over he was mates with the guy there he drove up in a white VY Waggon. I was introduced to him he was a ex panel beater and helped the guy out with my bonnet. Anyway he was talking too me about my car and i told him i had over 300,000km on it and rumor is they don't go a hell of a lot more then that without something going wrong, He said his VY has done almost 500,000km he is all over the country never stopped for long. The car gets all the serves instead of 6 months he does 3-4. And when something brakes it's replaced new and it doesn't miss a beat. Hew left on his was to NT.
Old 13-10-2006, 12:48 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

As long as you regularly service any car it should last you a long while.
I service my ute once a month (every 5000-ishkm). It's been great ... still feels like new and it has 200,000 on it at the moment ... I've put 100,000km on it in the last 18 months or so.
Old 13-10-2006, 01:02 PM   #18
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
As long as you regularly service any car it should last you a long while.
I service my ute once a month (every 5000-ishkm). It's been great ... still feels like new and it has 200,000 on it at the moment ... I've put 100,000km on it in the last 18 months or so.
Thats very true treat them well and they treat you well also
But there are some lucky buggers out there that never wash or serves there cars and beats me how they get 50,000km out of them.
Old 13-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #19
honer
Back to N/A land

I didn't need this study to know that Ford drivers are superior to Holden drivers ;)
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 05:28 PM   #20
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
"especially 1986 Commodores that are 3 times higher than the national average" ... I am presuming this is the myriad of VL drivers out there with no idea.

Especially all the VL Turbo drivers that love to give it a "dose" (God I hate that term). Uleh Bro.
I agree.

I wouldn't call a VL a safe car, in any respect.

Example of a modded VL Turbo.

300KW + 20 years of wear and tear + moron behind the wheel + crappy handling= Death Trap.

Anyway in the 3 and a half years, I've been driving, I've only had 1 accident. Which wasn't my fault.

A 4WD reversed into me, while someone was angle parking and stuffed my bumper and headlight.

Last edited by Ryan; 13-10-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2006, 12:05 AM   #21
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
have you ever had to drive a commodore ??? .
I had to drive my mates VS SS Commy, I usually drive an Ef Fairmont.

Even when the Commy drivers seat is adjusted properly I still did not have as much veiw of the road as I do in my Fairmont.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2006, 02:54 AM   #22
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Quote:
lol cant beleive how true that is.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2006, 06:14 AM   #23
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needaXYGT
lol cant beleive how true that is.
Your mum must drive one also.
Old 14-10-2006, 09:12 AM   #24
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
I agree.

I wouldn't call a VL a safe car, in any respect.

Example of a modded VL Turbo.

300KW + 20 years of wear and tear + moron behind the wheel + crappy handling= Death Trap.

Anyway in the 3 and a half years, I've been driving, I've only had 1 accident. Which wasn't my fault.

A 4WD reversed into me, while someone was angle parking and stuffed my bumper and headlight.

Ryan, well said. You mate are an island of reality amidst an ocean of diarrhea.

If all drivers of ALL different makes were sensible enough to see the pitfalls of their cars like Ryan, then we would sure as hell have a lot less accidents.
Personally, I won't read too much into it as I have seen losers in both camps, but Holden does unfortunately attract a lot of attention from the very young and impressionable crowd.

Quote: