Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-11-2006, 11:50 PM   #1
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Default Bonus! I have an LSD.

Had the car booked in today for a service and on the way there noticed a clunking sound in the diff. Mechanic checked it out and tells me it's actually an LSD and the clunking noise is just the LSD making noise as it gets a bit older.
That was an unexpected bonus, kinda explains why it pretty much always has traction!

I do think though this is a bit of a strange thing to have in an AU3 wagon, but it must have been optioned on I guess?

private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 12:08 AM   #2
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Hmmm, unless it's a locker diff it shouldn't be making any noises,I've had LSD before (the diff) but has never made a noise.
Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I have thought.

Cheers
Mick

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 01:56 PM   #3
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Yeah, that's what I though too, but the mechanic said that basically they do become noisier as they age, and the car does have about 170k clicks on it. I have been in older cars where you can actually feel and hear the LSD dropping in and out around corners but have never really noticed it in a newer car before.
Old 14-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Is there an LSD tag on the diff drain bolt? That's the only surefire way to know if you have LSD, not from the noises it makes.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

LSD in and AUIII wagon I doubt it?

I bet you have a stuffed diff thats all sorry.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

On AUIII LSD was an option on all the falcons and even the XR6HP! But you had to get it with the sports suspension kit as a factory option. When you did that you got a nice little tickford compliance plate under the bonnet too. I have only seen one AUI V8 Fairmont wagon with LSD from the factory.

Really very rare if you do have one
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 07:27 PM   #7
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Thanks for all the replies, I'm only going by what the mechanic told me.

I told him about the noises when I dropped the car off and he tells me he's pulled the cover off to have a look, and that's how he knows it's an LSD. He also checked the diff oil and send that's ok, and checked the tension of the LSD. Apparently normal tension is something like 120 pounds, mines only at about 70 pounds which indicates that it has worn a reasonable amount.

I had never really picked it as an LSD, but it would explain why even in the wet it generally doesn't break traction.
Old 14-11-2006, 07:29 PM   #8
eXi7w0unD

i got a single spinner, can i just weld the diff som how and make it cheap alturnative to buying lsd?
Old 14-11-2006, 07:38 PM   #9
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^no, you cant. lsd diffs have clutch pack type things in them so they only slip a limited amount, ie lsd, limited slip diff, it still acts as a normal diff, a mini or full spool on the other hand is where both axles spin at the same speed, regardless of turning, etc, so it makes it easier to slide the car, but you have less control in cornering
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 07:39 PM   #10
chief
FTF Club Moderator

exi7w0und that has got to be the dumbest and most unsafe idea of all.

It is possible if you want to go down that path,

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 08:07 PM   #11
fomoco3628

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXi7w0unD
i got a single spinner, can i just weld the diff som how and make it cheap alturnative to buying lsd?
you can weld it but it's illegal and won't help with traction like a lsd. they are a pain in the **** to park too cos both wheels spin at the same speed.
fomoco3628 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #12
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

If you cant break traction with an LSD then you clearly just havent got enough power under the bonnet. :

Good on you for having an LSD tho, most std cars dont have them so its a bonus.

Shaun.

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 08:37 PM   #13
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by neishaxr8
If you cant break traction with an LSD then you clearly just havent got enough power under the bonnet. :

Good on you for having an LSD tho, most std cars dont have them so its a bonus.

Shaun.
Yeah, it is a pleasant little surprise!

And you're sure as hell right about not having enough power! I've recently done an exhaust, K&N filter and an XR6T snorkel and while they have made a difference, it's still a bit of a slug! Next will be a set of Pacemakers, a cat and maybe an edit later down the track. And then I'll undo all of that good work and get the car converted to gas!
Old 14-11-2006, 09:09 PM   #14
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Paccies should open up some now restricted power and with the edit should do some good things too.
With that noise you have ford sell a specific treatment for it, i think the noise you are describing is cone chatter. This lube will help it to some extent.

Shaun

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 09:20 PM   #15
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by neishaxr8
Paccies should open up some now restricted power and with the edit should do some good things too.
With that noise you have ford sell a specific treatment for it, i think the noise you are describing is cone chatter. This lube will help it to some extent.

Shaun
Thanks for that. Cone chatter is exactly what the mechanic told me - he will do some of that additive at the next service.

He said if it does it again, basically go into a car park and do some slow figure 8's (not spinning the wheels!) - do it for a minute or two, and it should help the cones reseat...
Old 14-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #16
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Good luck to the two guys that brought my previous two new fords as the lsd option is always ticked by me. 600 well spent i say.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 12:34 AM   #17
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

u can weld the diff.. it wont act as lsd but like a spool. just pull the cover off, heat up the spider gears with an oxy and once hot, weld as much as you can inside the spider gears, this will lock them together and both wheels will spin at the same rate,, this means when cornering your inside wheel will skip

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post