Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-04-2005, 02:25 PM   #31
TIRED6
A V8 salute to my DEATH

I asked a Police officer. School days are, Monday-Friday right. Does this 40kph speed apply between terms & during public holidays. He looked at me blankly and stumbled around some pathetic, WTF!!! answer. He didn't know, same as Vic Raods, same question, WTF!!! answer.

They said, School days are Monday-Friday (True), public holidays, term breaks, (True-False)...During the week, They DON'T know.

This could get ya off a few speeding tickets.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:29 PM   #32
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddys
where abouts in Mt alexander RD?
From the VW car dealer to the empty car yards and alchohol shop.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 05:35 PM   #33
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Don't get me started.

Why you would slow down traffic and lenthen travel time and congest roads instead of teach children that that big heavy metal things hurt when they hit you, it beyond me.

It just shows the Vic Gov has no idea.
I am sorry, but that is such a pathetic response, YOU are the adult here, YOU are the one who should be acting responsibly. There is a series of videos on how children percieve traffic, maybe you should view one some time. Children are NOT little adults, they have very limited experiences, HOW would they know it is going to hurt them until they get hit by one.

Maybe someone should take you and teach you how to behave as an adult. :togo:

Last edited by Trevor 57; 08-04-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 05:42 PM   #34
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinmyEB
Yeah what happened to Hector the safety cat? He visited every primary school and there were ads on TV constantly.

We can educate the kids but unfortunately there are some parents that are as thick as planks. When I was picking up my son from primary school a couple of years back, I was in a two way street with cars parked on either side of the road, so it was just bedlam trying to get out. Next thing I know some idiot opens that back door of the car and a 2 year old jumps out of the car and runs into the middle of the road. The parent didn't even try to restrain the kid at all. :

Mothers pushing prams across the road when the don't walk light is on is another one that really pi$$es me off. I actually got out the car once and told one woman exactly what I thought of her actions and asked her if she thought about the consequences of her actions. Her reply was to tell me to f*** off and mind my own business. I'm sure it would have been my business if I didn't hit the anchors and hit the pram instead. :togo:

SHHHHH your showin your age there.....geez Hector, I can remember him.
I think he got run out of town along with Fat cat for not wearing pants and being ungendered.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:58 PM   #35
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicle
I am sorry, but that is such a pathetic response, YOU are the adult here, YOU are the one who should be acting responsibly. There is a series of videos on how children percieve traffic, maybe you should view one some time. Children are NOT little adults, they have very limited experiences, HOW would they know it is going to hurt them until they get hit by one.

Maybe someone should take you and teach you how to behave as an adult. :togo:
Look at the stupid wipe off 5 ads with the kid ridding their bike unsupervised through a stop sign, its gotten to the point where motorists are supposed to be responsible for kids instead of their parents, they want to replace common sense with a number.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:13 PM   #36
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmech
Look at the stupid wipe off 5 ads with the kid ridding their bike unsupervised through a stop sign, its gotten to the point where motorists are supposed to be responsible for kids instead of their parents, they want to replace common sense with a number.
That ad also gives the message that peds and bike riders are never responsible for accidents involving them, always the motorist. When will they realise its a 2-way thing. Both motorist and peds/ bike riders should be cautious of thier and others safety. Its no wonder that some peds and riders think they can cross or ride anywhere they want, anytime they want w/o even a thought of looking out for cars nearby.

Last edited by Homer1; 08-04-2005 at 06:14 PM.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2005, 01:34 AM   #37
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Its easier to blame the driver of the car than spend money actually educating children. There were no 40 zones when I was younger, but I do remember the 'look left, look right' ads that the government and my parents drummed into me as a child.

I might point out that when I was younger we always crossed with the crossing guard and looked before crossing the road. There was not one person in my primary or secondary school ever hit by a car.... in or out of school hours.

But then, there were no speed camera's then either. How can diverting the drivers attention from the road to their speedo be helpful to stopping accidents anyway? I will also note that all ADR compliant speedo's are not required to register accurate readings below 40kmh. Hows that for a dumb speed limit? The only way to get an accurate reading on any car ever sold in australia is to exceed the 'speed limit'!

Last edited by xdc351; 09-04-2005 at 01:39 AM.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2005, 01:10 PM   #38
StorminaTcup

Can anyone answer this? Why do joggers and people out walking in times of darkness persist on walking/jogging on the road as well as wearing dark clothing?
I carry out deliveries in the early morning, it happens in all suburbs. gmf'd ??? :
StorminaTcup is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2005, 04:53 PM   #39
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDXR8CHICK
Can anyone answer this? Why do joggers and people out walking in times of darkness persist on walking/jogging on the road as well as wearing dark clothing?
I carry out deliveries in the early morning, it happens in all suburbs. gmf'd ??? :
And cyclists who insist on riding after dark on 60km/h roads that are about 10 metres away from a paralel bike path.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:56 PM   #40
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's also reports that some schools have delayed the start of the school holidays by up to a week - so how are we supposed to know which schools are on holidays and which aren't?

The comments made saying little kids wouldn't know a car will hurt them is BS - especially school age. A 2 year old knows when they fall over, it hurts. They know when they get a smack, it hurts. If a big car is coming at them - they get scared and know it will hurt if it hits.

When I was in primary school, if you got caught crossing the road at anywhere other than the supervised crossing - they'd let you know and you'd be in trouble. That was on a small side street the school was on. Even a toddler would know not to run onto the road as their parents would/should have made them aware not to run onto the road. In high school - if you crossed the main road near the school without using the overpass and got caught, you'd get detention. One guy had to show the teacher how many metres/second a car travelled at given different speeds in km/h - to give them an idea how little time they have in busy traffic. This is what it's about - teaching kids that if they do something wrong, there are consequences. By perpetuating irresponsible behaviour by blaming the big bad car driver - when the cause of an accident is a careless pedestrian, then it increases the risk of that person becoming a statistic - not only in their youth, but later on in life - if they don't get cleaned up first that is.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2005, 10:30 AM   #41
hml2777
legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
Its easier to blame the driver of the car than spend money actually educating children. There were no 40 zones when I was younger, but I do remember the 'look left, look right' ads that the government and my parents drummed into me as a child.

I might point out that when I was younger we always crossed with the crossing guard and looked before crossing the road. There was not one person in my primary or secondary school ever hit by a car.... in or out of school hours.

But then, there were no speed camera's then either. How can diverting the drivers attention from the road to their speedo be helpful to stopping accidents anyway? I will also note that all ADR compliant speedo's are not required to register accurate readings below 40kmh. Hows that for a dumb speed limit? The only way to get an accurate reading on any car ever sold in australia is to exceed the 'speed limit'!
And kids got hit by cars back then, and before. Sometimes the kid did the wrong thing, but some times the driver did the wrong thing, but reducing the speed limit around schools is one way of trying to reduce the incidents. It is all OK to criticise, but where are the real contructive responses on alternatives.

Hector the Cat was OK, but kids were still getting hit then as well.
hml2777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2005, 12:21 PM   #42
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Yes kids did get hit back then, but they remain getting hit now too.

I never said 40 zones weren't a good idea IF they are done properly. No-one wants to run over anyone else, let alone a child. My gripe lies in the lack of primary level education being given to kids at the same time.

If they were really serious about lowering the accident rate involving children.... they would be doing both 40 zones and educating the kids with the same multi-million dollar advertising campaigns they shove down car drivers throats, wouldn't they?
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2005, 05:34 PM   #43
kiwikid
have you seen my marbles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml2777
It is all OK to criticise, but where are the real contructive responses on alternatives.
dont bild schools on major roads,

it will still be busy from parents dropping there kids off at school but not busy from people going about there everyday buisness...