Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #31
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
it's kinda like a high powered hovercraft that can carry 100people against a jetski.
Exactly. Jetski's are more fun. :

Besides, you call an EVO a buzz box and a GT and luxury family sports sedan. In comparison you could say an EVO is a rally bred sports car and a GT is a done up heavy family car. It's all about the perception you choose to take when looking at vehicles.

So you can tow a boat with a GT, you can actually get good track times (stock) in an EVO. It depends what you want in a car and what your values are. If you need to tow a boat, or take a family of 4-5 in comfort, of course you're going to look more towards a GT. But if it's just you and your mrs, or you want to have a bit more handling and actual racing ability, you might lean towards the EVO.

It's all about perception and needs. Granted, these comparissons aren't ever going to be great because they are different cars for different needs. But if FPV are going to keep building 'performance' cars, they need to face they fact that they'll go up against other performance cars, no matter the practicallity of the test. If they could beat an EVO around the track you'd hear everyone saying "how good is this FPV performance car", and because they can't, you hear "yeah - BUT but blah blah blah".

They're either a performance car of they aren't. If they are - they're going to get compared on performance against other performance cars. Of course they have different real world abilities, and I'm not saying they don't.

Last edited by Deadman; 31-03-2007 at 08:51 AM.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #32
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeron
Thats what they are rated at. So are R34 GTR Skylines. There is no way a GTR has 206Kw.

I believe its something to do with power limits placed on cars in Japan, so the manufacturers make powerful engines and say, “yeh, its got 206Kw”, so that they comply, when in fact, they have more power.
I agree there is no way a GT-R only had 206kw and the new one will have about the Porsche level. It won't even have anywhere near it's potential as Nissan apparently wants to leave room for modders to improve.

In Japan there are STi's and EVOs with more than 206kw easily. The models we have here are ADM models and therefore don't have to worry about power limits.

I think (this is roughly off my head) a stock STi is about 150-160katw the wheels which is pretty close to the 206kw quoted at the fly.

I would have expected the HSV to win. What's more interesting is why they didn't have an FPV representation on this test?

The STi and EVO are the best performance cars you can get this side of $60-70k possibly higher too. They hammer in a straightline and on twisties.

The FPVs and HSVs are without a doubt the best performance car with the best compromise between practicality and performance you can buy on this side of that bracket and probably up to $100k.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 11:27 AM   #33
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

I just can't see why FPV or Ford could make a supercharged V8 for the Falcon?
Just imagine:
Ford Falcon XR8S - 275kW V8 (actual power!)
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 11:31 AM   #34
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8motormouth
I just can't see why FPV or Ford could make a supercharged V8 for the Falcon?
Just imagine:
Ford Falcon XR8S - 275kW V8 (actual power!)
With even a low blow on the 5.4 you'd expect more like 350-375kw.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #35
gtfpv
GT

how did this become about FPV VERSUS EVO , the thread is called hsv 307.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #36
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
how did this become about FPV VERSUS EVO , the thread is called hsv 307.
Quote:
ahhhh but does the sti and evo come with a free pair of headphones ???? to drown out the subwoofer noise .
Quote:
never seen a sti or evo towing a boat.
Quote:
thes buzz boxes are built for one thing only
Quote:
i guess you can tell i dont like little rally cars .
Maybe people took offence :
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #37
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
1760kg / 307kw = 5.732kg/kw This looks too light to me?
1495kg / 195kw = 7.66kg/kw - the STi needs 260kw before its got the same power to weight.
The HSV actually weighs 1829kg in manual form and 1845 in auto form. And the Suby has 206kW/392Nm from it's 2.5 DOHC Boxer...

Here's my take on the power to weight:

VE HSV 166kW/tonne (GT's have 155, Typhoon has 150)
Suby STi 138kW/tonne (close to the XR6T which has 143)

I believe Wheels posted the times for a VE Senator they tested a few months back and they managed 5.2sec to 100km/h and 13.4 for the quarter @ 172km/h.

The Suby has the advantage of a close ratio gearbox which keeps it on boost all the time and the fact that it's under 1500kg also helps ;)

After all is said and done, I'd still take a supercharged 5.4L DOHC and take them all :

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post