Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-06-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Low Fuel Light Problem

The low fuel light comes on when I have a full tank but does eventually go off.
Fault in fuel tank sender unit ?

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
FRDPWR
416w 10.5@127mph

my ef ghia does that aswell, after about 20k's it goes off, i was told itll most likly be the gauge in the dash cos theres to much in the tank. but i didnt belive that answer so i dont know why it does it
Old 12-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDPWR
my ef ghia does that aswell, after about 20k's it goes off, i was told itll most likly be the gauge in the dash cos theres to much in the tank. but i didnt belive that answer so i dont know why it does it
We both have the same problem, but I don't overfill the tank.
New dash gauge wouldn't be easy to fit !!!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
HLC
Audi S3

mine has done that a couple of times.

ive had the fuel light on, so i put $20 fuel in the car (broke uni student), and it stays on and the trip computer still says 20k's til empty

and how many litres are left when the fuel light comes on?
Old 12-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
groops

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
and how many litres are left when the fuel light comes on?
Depends on how you drive it....on a week to week basis I can usually get it coming on at about 130KMS, but after a cruse with the boys it can sometimes only come on about 50kms...lol....if you floor it everywhere you go and spend alot of time on the throttle, or do alot of city/stop'n'start driving it'll be coming on with less k's left, but if you drive nice and conservative and don't flatten it everywhere, it'll come on with more and more k's left...also depends on your set-up, flat4, T4, I6, V6, T6, V8, if you've got headers and better flowing exhaust, etc. I believe it comes on with a certain amount of fuel left in the tank, so yeah, it really depends on how you drive your car.

Mike
groops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 07:45 PM   #6
groops

Damnit...I didn't read what you wrote....I read what I thought I saw......to answer your qn about litres when it come's on, if my previous response is anything to go by....I'm a fool and have no idea....*and I quoted you and everything...doh*

Mike
groops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #7
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by groops
Depends on how you drive it....on a week to week basis I can usually get it coming on at about 130KMS, but after a cruse with the boys it can sometimes only come on about 50kms...lol....if you floor it everywhere you go and spend alot of time on the throttle, or do alot of city/stop'n'start driving it'll be coming on with less k's left, but if you drive nice and conservative and don't flatten it everywhere, it'll come on with more and more k's left...also depends on your set-up, flat4, T4, I6, V6, T6, V8, if you've got headers and better flowing exhaust, etc. I believe it comes on with a certain amount of fuel left in the tank, so yeah, it really depends on how you drive your car.

Mike
yeah it comes on with a certain amount of fuel left. hahahah lol

reading your next post yeah :P

ive gotten 540 from my last tank, with the fuel light well and truly on :P combination city and highway driving.

i usually get somewhere in the 400's per tank. hmmm Auto I6 and i give it hell :P except when my gf is in the car, which is prolly why i get good economy lately :P
Old 12-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

[QUOTE=HLC]mine has done that a couple of times.
ive had the fuel light on, so i put $20 fuel in the car (broke uni student), and it stays on and the trip computer still says 20k's til empty and how many litres are left when the fuel light comes on?[QUOTE=HLC]

HLC,

What is the actual gauge doing during this? After you've put in the $20 bucks worth, what does it say?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 11:58 PM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

off POST light stays on with a full tank, not when nearly empty, as its meant too do.
Usually lights up around 120kms left in tank, or 10litres approx.
Old 13-06-2007, 12:58 AM   #10
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Mine does this occasionally. I can fill up the tank and have the guage showing full, and then a few minutes down the road the guage will drop completely to dead empty and the light will come back on. Turning the car off and restarting seems to make it go away!

I think this was a known fault in the AU's and had some sort of deal where it was repaired under warranty at the next service.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #11
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK

HLC,

What is the actual gauge doing during this? After you've put in the $20 bucks worth, what does it say?

GK
the guage will still say next to empty but as im driving, it will miraculously fill up :P
Old 13-06-2007, 11:49 AM   #12
james22
With da Warlords

^^^ If only they did, wouldn't that be great...

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post