Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-06-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Cops using radar again?!? (SA)

Today I was driving along Beach Rd at Christies Beach, heading towards South Road, and I saw what looked to be a speed camera vehicle on the side of the road. I checked my speedo on approach and was only doing 60, then as I got level with the car I realised there was something on a tripod pointing back at the road from the drivers side, just in front of the car.

Sure enough, down the road a bit there were a couple of cop cars getting ready to pull people over when the operator radioed ahead to them.

I wasn't speeding and I didn't get done, but I haven't seen a "radar" system like this (one checks speed then down the road you get pulled over). I thought they'd moved pretty well to cameras/lasers only.

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

its possibly a number plate recognition camera. checks your plates, details come up on the in car computer instantly and tells them if the car has current rego, if the registered owner is disqualified, what colour socks you're wearing etc etc...
if the officer in the car doesnt like your sock colour, or you're unrego'd etc he radio's his buddies down the road.
they occasionally set them up in hindley st on weekends, and quite often in salisbury. must be the hotspots lol..
Old 28-06-2007, 08:40 PM   #3
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Well they still use that radar setup here.

Radar on tripod and then using a couple of HWP down the road set up in both directions.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 08:48 PM   #4
savagE
Complete ****** n bogan

Its so obvious that they do it, they try to look casual but how is pointing your camera one a tripod facing the road in a Hawaiian Shirt natural?
savagE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 08:59 PM   #5
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Cops will use any revenue raising avenue that they can, even wearing hawaiian shirts. Makes me sick that they can actually get away with it. Good on you for spotting it though.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 10:42 PM   #6
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
its possibly a number plate recognition camera. checks your plates, details come up on the in car computer instantly and tells them if the car has current rego, if the registered owner is disqualified, what colour socks you're wearing etc etc...
if the officer in the car doesnt like your sock colour, or you're unrego'd etc he radio's his buddies down the road.
they occasionally set them up in hindley st on weekends, and quite often in salisbury. must be the hotspots lol..
I hadn't even heard of that, but it is possible that's what it was.

There were a couple of dodgy looking vehicles sitting on the side of the road near the three cop cars, perhaps they were unreg/defected vehicles that showed up on their screen.

I try be pretty safe these days, I can't afford the fines, plus I've learned the joys of licence loss the hard way. When I spot something even remotely like a camera etc I ALWAYS check my speedo, I don't deliberately break the limit or hoon but occasionally I'll find that I've crept 10k's over and drop back down.
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 28-06-2007, 11:10 PM   #7
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAadam
Cops will use any revenue raising avenue that they can, even wearing hawaiian shirts. Makes me sick that they can actually get away with it. Good on you for spotting it though.
How is picking up unregistered cars and possibly disqualified drivers revenue raising?

People thinking they can post without thinking and get away with it makes me sick.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 11:48 PM   #8
MeLLy

Hmmm i guess they feel the need to crack down on ppl for some reason...
MeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 12:06 AM   #9
MeLLy

I rememeber last year a mate of mine got pulled over by two cops wearing DADA clothes....LOL that was gold!
MeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 01:07 AM   #10
Den.
That Canadian guy.

here they run radr like that. They hide the cruiser down the side street.

Up the road from me, they hide the cruiser behind a brick wall in the bank parking lot but that's one stretch where they SHOULD nail people! It's a 40 km/h and traffic often runs 80 or more!!

Now on the busier street nearby, they run about 3 of the tripod, park the cruisers on the side street, pull cars over "en masse" and 4 or 5 cops are on the side street writing the tickets while 2 more point and guide the victims in.

But this kind of stuff is normal here.

(They just passed legislation that they can tow your car if you "intend" to "Street race". You don't have to actually do it or even be in your car, if it's modded you intend to race it. Period!! Yet all the accidents that led up to this were stock vehicles!!)
Old 29-06-2007, 01:08 AM   #11
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah they are getting serious with the rego/licence checks lately. I was heading up Flaxmill the other day as i live nearby and as you go over the expressway bridge they were on the other side of the hill pulling people up doing the checks.
Old 29-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #12
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPK-383
Yeah they are getting serious with the rego/licence checks lately. I was heading up Flaxmill the other day as i live nearby and as you go over the expressway bridge they were on the other side of the hill pulling people up doing the checks.
And good on them. If they're getting unregistered (which unless expired recently, means cars not covered by 3rd party bodily) and unroadworthy cars off the streets, then I'm certainly not complaining. And unless they're doing the wrong thing, neither should anyone else.
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #13
HLC
Audi S3

ive seen one of those used on the M4 in sydney once.

my dad got rego checked on the m4 while driving once. we were getting passed by a cop car, that had followed us for a little bit. as he went past, we looked in their car, and the passenger had looked up my dads number plate cause we could see it on the screen :
Old 29-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #14
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NSW police have had the rego check camera systems for about six months. As described above it compares your plates against a copy of the rego database and flags if your car is unregistered etc. There was a write up about it's in the local paper when the HP unit here took delivery of their new toy.
Regards,
Tote
Old 29-06-2007, 11:43 AM   #15
VSSII

Detects stolen cars too. Often they don't try to be discreet. People think it's radar so everyone slows down. Makes it easier to read the plates and then stop em!
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 12:53 PM   #16
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

So does this thing actually report the speed the vehicle is doing so they can get you for speeding, or is it purely to detect cars whose plates get flagged?

Also just thinking of the ultimate waste of their time - car from a dealer, unregistered, out on test drive with trader plate on the back of it. They pull it over only to realise that they are actually entitled to be on the road.
Quote:
Old 29-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #17
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I can understand they are pulling over cars not registered or whatever. Thats fine. But if its for doing 3 km over the limit I find it petty.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 02:09 PM   #18
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Also just thinking of the ultimate waste of their time - car from a dealer, unregistered, out on test drive with trader plate on the back of it. They pull it over only to realise that they are actually entitled to be on the road.
Thats what a trader plate is for though.....

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post