Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-08-2007, 06:41 PM   #31
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
The MX-5 is a global brand.

Not many Ford sports cars have worked over borders.

Something special will need to occur otherwise.
But Ford is becoming a global brand. That's why I thought it might be an idea to even base something on a solid platform that could go global.

Raptor - From people feedback on the majority of alternatives you listed, they're nothing like what i'm talking about AND aren't necessarily great cars.

Hunter - Though i've never driven one personally (there are people on the boards who have though), the mustang would hardly be classed as a solid car. And no offence, but driving a car in a video has absolutely nothing to do with real life driving, no matter how 'realistic' they make the cars. And if the celica is so bad then, it shows how crap the larger cars are (which is understandable, i'm not questioning that, i'm asking if anyone would buy a smaller sports car made by ford).
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2007, 06:48 PM   #32
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

it sticks to the road so well because it's a front wheel drive ... so it wont drift out ;) ...

NIIING TSSS
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2007, 07:12 PM   #33
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would like to see a decent Ford sports car, but I just don't think it will happen anytime soon.

They'll need to develop it very carefully rather than jump in and capitalise on a certain market with an inferior product.

And Flappist...I would not shun it because it has no V8 or bulge or anything like that.

I just don't care about sports cars. But I guess I'm just being petty and probably naive. Fair enough.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #34
bingoTE50
Steve

All relative really,whos iterpretation of a sports car. My wifes Mazda3 sports handles well , and is a sporty drive. My TE has a great level of grip ,I hadn,t got the tires to understeer yet! But if Mark Webber drove it it would not feel sporty to him!
So how do you class a sports car !
In 1979 the Celica was a great little car ,handled well and did 180kmh ,good for its day !! By todays standards ,the Mazda 3 would cane it !!
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2007, 09:38 PM   #35
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

It may not be made by Ford but at least it uses a Ford engine.

I would gladly have a Dare (nee Ginetta G4) in my garage - google for pics. Small, light, good looking and RWD. Second choice would be the larger uglier Caterhams.

If GM's Solstice fired up - I think that Ford would be tempted to follow, much as Chrysler and Gm are trying to get back in to pony cars.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2007, 09:39 PM   #36
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Call me petty and a smelly poohead, but could we correct the spelling in the title too? It has been bugging me all day.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #37
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Call me petty and a smelly poohead, but could we correct the spelling in the title too? It has been bugging me all day.
I must admit Ford would be creating a niche for its self with a down hill only sports car. I wonder if it would come with grade logic control?
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #38
Steffo
LPG > You

So you've driven a sports car, well, a watered down sports car... and found it better then a family sedan?

Want a Ford alternative? Have a normal man's wallet, not millions of dollars? Beautiful. Ford Australia can offer you nothing!

Outside of the sports sedan, which they're world class at making, Ford Australia has not got anything remotely close to being a sports car in their range. Full stop.

The Ford Motor Company's range in Australia does... Mazda MX-5 (owned by Ford) or Jaguar XKR (owned by Ford)... but nothing with the blue-oval badge on it. And anyone who says Mustang is a sports car (as some people in the thread have) needs to stop and think. They get their butts handed to them on the slightest of bends by virtually any Falcon. They're... busses with nice coupe bodies that can accelerate really quickly.

It would be nice to see Ford make a real sports car. They can do it too. And have it something affordable-like. Take the Focus platform, go RWD, sleek coupe body, two seats (possibly four... but why?), and the 190kW 2.3litre Duratec Turbo from the MPS3 and tadda... great sports car.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post