Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Does www.blackle.com "save" power?
YES - Blackle SAVES power 2 18.18%
NO - Blackle does NOT save power 9 81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-10-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Blackle - the energy saving search engine

Right, firstly note that I dont particularly care much for saving the planet unless I feel like it actually does something. Changing light globes and such Ill do if my normal ones bust etc.

So an acquaintance and I got into a little debate about whether or not www.blackle.com actually does anything at all.

I said no, basically because if the monitor is on, it doesn't care what colour the pixel is it just does as its told; therefore its still using the same amount of power as any other site. Its not like the black parts on the blackle screen "turn off". Further to this, I said that if the graphics card is somehow needed on a site or picture app then yeah ok, that might require some more power. So basically, I think the site is a crock.

She was of the opinion that yes, it does work, and she works for the Government and all there PC's have it as there homepage and it was "recommended" to them to be used. She said "read the information and study"; naturally I didn't (thats like reading an instruction booklet) purely because for the life of me cant see how it saves anything.

Actually it strains my eyes a little, thats about it.

So what do you think? Yes its a good idea and saves power? Or no, what a joke!

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Actually it would save power.... but the amount would be so ridiculously small its not funny.

The guy who created even admitted that it didn't really do anything to save but it was more about promoting discussion and getting people thinking about their energy usage/global warming etc.
Old 29-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

So it would save power compared to googles white layout?

The only way I can see it saving power is if the site has no pics, so it loads quickly; but then why not just use google.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Well it would save power if it had a black screen as opposed to a white screen but there's two important points:

1) It would likely only have a measurable affect on power consumption on a CRT screen.

2) The savings are only realised over a long period of time and only if you spend a lot of time on google (which some people do, but not everyone).

The problem with point 1 is that people are replacing CRTs at a pretty quick rate these days so the effect would be limited...
Old 29-10-2007, 11:14 AM   #5
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

I agree with Hunter. The power saving would be so minute, it wouldn't be noticeable.

As the maker says, more of a way to promote the energy saving topic than anything...
Old 29-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Well it would save power if it had a black screen as opposed to a white screen but there's two important points:

1) It would likely only have a measurable affect on power consumption on a CRT screen.

2) The savings are only realised over a long period of time and only if you spend a lot of time on google (which some people do, but not everyone).
I think you probably need to think globally not locally. :
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

See this article regarding blackle
http://dansdata.blogsome.com/2007/07...e-environment/

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post