Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-12-2007, 01:16 AM   #1
curtleyw
Goodbye stock AU

Default Front Squeaking Noise

Hey guys just need your infinite wisdom to help me with this one please.
Travelling a few hundred k's tomorrow so need your opinions to see if this isn't too serious.

My au11 has developed an annoying squeaking noise.
Most noticable when steering to left or right or braking (ie. when mosty weight is on the front).
It is a fairly high pitched squeak that seems to squeak in time with road bumps.
It is definitely coming from the front drivers side. I originally thought the noise was inside the car, however, when I wound down my window I could hear it echoing. So obviously outside but loud enough to come through the firewall.

Been doing a bit of reading and I thought it could be the front bearings but I am no expert.
I'm sorry, but thats the best I can describe it.
I am currently uploading a video if that will help.
Cheers,
Curtley

EDIT: I also experience a scraping/groaning noise when I steer enthusiastically to the right at low speeds. Might be related?

Last edited by curtleyw; 20-12-2007 at 01:23 AM.
curtleyw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2007, 01:30 AM   #2
curtleyw
Goodbye stock AU

Video Just finished uploading, hopefully this will help a bit:

Notice it especially as I coming over that bump and braking at the end of the driveway.
Old 20-12-2007, 03:02 AM   #3
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds a lot like mine mate. Try taking the wheel cover off and see if you still hear it.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
curtleyw
Goodbye stock AU

cheers for the reply dude but i have 16" mags. I'm thinking the noise is so loud in the cabin because the squeak is coming through on the steering arm. Just travelled 400 km's this morning and it's no better or worse
Old 20-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

its cos both of yours are silver
cause and effect proven
Old 20-12-2007, 08:05 PM   #6
JoesAu

have you got a camber kit??
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #7
Jokular

i had a squeak like that it was the handbrake adjustment.
i now have a squeak that mainly happens when turning mostly left, thought to be part of the pad rubbing on the rotor (obviously not the part that is meant to rub on the rotor)
Old 21-12-2007, 01:59 AM   #8
curtleyw
Goodbye stock AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesAu
have you got a camber kit??
Nah dude, however it was sugested i get one at the last wheel alignment.
If I get some energy tomorrow (I've been working in lay-by all afternoon and night lol) I'll pull the front wheels off and have a gander
Old 06-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
curtleyw
Goodbye stock AU

Well I finally got around to taking off the DS wheel.
While I was removing it the squeak was there everytime i touched the wheel.
When I got it off I sprayed some good 'ol WD40 around different areas where i thought it was coming from. No Luck.
I then crawled under further to have a look behind the rotor and squirted WD40 into 2 joints there, and lots of it!
That did the job, not fully but hardly noticible.

Oh, and on another note while I had the wheel off, the bore water has corroded the black plastic cover thing on the wheel bearings/hub(?) so that could be the problem.
As you can probably tell I don't know anything about the steering area of the car lol!
Old 07-01-2008, 02:20 AM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Try some rubber lube in upper front shock mounts. Remove the nut and lube the upper rubbers with the lube then reassemble.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:10 AM   #11
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtleyw
Hey guys just need your infinite wisdom to help me with this one please.
Travelling a few hundred k's tomorrow so need your opinions to see if this isn't too serious.

My au11 has developed an annoying squeaking noise.
Most noticable when steering to left or right or braking (ie. when mosty weight is on the front).
It is a fairly high pitched squeak that seems to squeak in time with road bumps.
It is definitely coming from the front drivers side. I originally thought the noise was inside the car, however, when I wound down my window I could hear it echoing. So obviously outside but loud enough to come through the firewall.

Been doing a bit of reading and I thought it could be the front bearings but I am no expert.
I'm sorry, but thats the best I can describe it.
I am currently uploading a video if that will help.
Cheers,
Curtley

EDIT: I also experience a scraping/groaning noise when I steer enthusiastically to the right at low speeds. Might be related?
A fix for the older models was to hose one side of the rubbers in the suspension drive it then the other , usually can find which side and replace the rubbers later
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

One way I used to get rids of squeeks was to squirt brake fluid on the suspension rubbers, it goes without saying that you DONT get it on painted areas.

I'd also turf that steering wheel cover!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #13
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtleyw
Well I finally got around to taking off the DS wheel.
While I was removing it the squeak was there everytime i touched the wheel.
When I got it off I sprayed some good 'ol WD40 around different areas where i thought it was coming from. No Luck.
I then crawled under further to have a look behind the rotor and squirted WD40 into 2 joints there, and lots of it!
That did the job, not fully but hardly noticible.

Oh, and on another note while I had the wheel off, the bore water has corroded the black plastic cover thing on the wheel bearings/hub(?) so that could be the problem.
As you can probably tell I don't know anything about the steering area of the car lol!
My parents have an AUII SR and it has had this exact problem, of and on, for years. Most noticeable when turning left apparently particularly over bumps etc. Seems exactly the same situation for your car. Multiple inspections by their mechanic hasn't really found the cause, and any attempts to fix it with WD40 etc. like you have done seems to only last a few months. Not a real concern but a bit annoying in an otherwise very quiet and well looked after falcon. I don't know if they have looked into the upper shock mount or not as mentioned in this thread but i will let them know. Good idea being part of the ford forums, you get discover all these little quirks ford australia builds into their cars for our amusement!
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #14
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

maybe the wheel bearings need a bit of Grease ,, my car does this aswell .. Radio usually stops it though )

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post