Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-06-2005, 10:20 PM   #1
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Default Headlights waste fuel

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question424.htm

Interesting article on driving with lights on during the day. I know most people think they are safer but it would be a huge cost to implement according to the article.
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2005, 10:43 PM   #2
MrQuan
Social Disaster

If it was writen in metric maybe I could understand better :P

I guess the moral is don't drive a volvo? ;)

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2005, 10:51 PM   #3
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkau
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question424.htm

Interesting article on driving with lights on during the day. I know most people think they are safer but it would be a huge cost to implement according to the article.
Kerosine headlamps were the worst but I dont think other than in eastern europe any manufacturers are still fitting them.

Powering lamps does use a finite amount of the energy used to run a cars engine, but when we stp back from the simplistic approach and consider how many vehicle accidents use of daytime runiing lamps can possibly prevent it may be the more energy efficient option, consider the amount of energy taken to repair or crush a car and the amount of energy required to build a replacement and the equation tips somewhat.

Traffic and streetlighting use lots one fossil fuel to power them too, we could save a bundle by turning then off, but again I dont see the outcome being all that attractive.

Good science is creating energy reducing alternatives, not the greeny ideals of cant have, mustn't do, lets all live in the trees.

Do sensible sums and I dont think fuel will really be an consideration when deciding when to use your headlamps. If you really want to save some alternator load switch of the 7 amps and subwoofer in the boot, it'll help on the noise polution front too.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2005, 10:59 PM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol no way am i gonna switch of the amp and sub. I lived without it for a week and couldnt bear it. I use my lights during the day when its a bit gloomy. I think there needs to be more focus on gettin people to put there lights on in BAD WEATHER!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2005, 11:20 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Lol no way am i gonna switch of the amp and sub. I lived without it for a week and couldnt bear it. I use my lights during the day when its a bit gloomy. I think there needs to be more focus on gettin people to put there lights on in BAD WEATHER!
Oh give me a break. Just this morning I was nearly smacked into by some moron who was more concerned with looking cool than slowing down and taking it easy in the wet. Regardless of P plater or not (yes I am one), I have no time for cockheads who feel their car is a mobile pimpin' disco instead of a means of transport.

Besides, my 400watt Bass Guitar Amplifier and 4x12 Cabinet will blow away ANY sub you care to name. out:
Old 19-06-2005, 11:27 PM   #6
Psycho Chicken
Banned

What a load of crap. Air con and power steering would be way worse, let's get rid of them!
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2005, 11:32 PM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Oh give me a break. Just this morning I was nearly smacked into by some moron who was more concerned with looking cool than slowing down and taking it easy in the wet. Regardless of P plater or not (yes I am one), I have no time for cockheads who feel their car is a mobile pimpin' disco instead of a means of transport.

Besides, my 400watt Bass Guitar Amplifier and 4x12 Cabinet will blow away ANY sub you care to name. out:
I dont crank my stereo on so cant hear myself think. I have it so i can have a bit of bass not so i go deaf. The morons are the ones who have it pumped so loud you can hear it from a block away. And BTW i always mute my stereo when i come to an intersection or lights or therefore anything that can become particularly hazardous.
Old 20-06-2005, 10:43 AM   #8
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
What a load of crap. Air con and power steering would be way worse, let's get rid of them!
lol agreed - besides you can't even turn the headlights off on my bike.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2005, 11:05 AM   #9
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I dont crank my stereo on so cant hear myself think. I have it so i can have a bit of bass not so i go deaf. The morons are the ones who have it pumped so loud you can hear it from a block away. And BTW i always mute my stereo when i come to an intersection or lights or therefore anything that can become particularly hazardous.
And we all know accidents and danger ONLY occur at intersections or lights, hell if we drove in a manner that avoided these hazards there'd be no accidents whatsoever.

B2F can you get me another break whilst your getting yours.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2005, 11:13 AM   #10
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

The Essentials for motor transport in the 21st Century.

Subwoofers? Check. Stereo? Check. Amplifiers? Check. Second Amplifier? Check. Turn Tables? Check. 3 Underage Scantily Dressed Drunk Girlfriends in the backseat? Check. DJ Grand Master Monkey Spank Raheem Jalal the 3rd? Check. Disco Ball? Check. BeeGees Album stolen from mums LP collection? Check. Two Vials of Poisoned Ecstacy? Check. OK Homies, lets go pick up Bread for mum.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2005, 01:51 PM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
And we all know accidents and danger ONLY occur at intersections or lights, hell if we drove in a manner that avoided these hazards there'd be no accidents whatsoever.

B2F can you get me another break whilst your getting yours.
Ah in my post i said i also mute wherever it would become hazardous. I also said my stereo is never cranked therefore never a problem aswell. If i can still hear my exhaust while i have my stereo is on then its not being cranked. If you cant drive while listening to music then you shouldnt have a licence.
Old 20-06-2005, 01:55 PM   #12
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I have my parkers on all the time when I drive my car I think it makes me seen that little bit more.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2005, 02:06 PM   #13
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura

Nice comment there Aust! Niiice! :

Interesting article however, mybe i'll try to stop turning my driving lights on in the daytime and I'll save some fuel!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2005, 03:50 PM   #14
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

: I can't believe the yanks give a s**t about how much extra "gas" there 22ltr 4tonne F750 with 10x 1000w spotties all over the front uses. :eclipsee_