Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-06-2005, 10:14 PM   #1
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Default EA Ghia, ED XR6 engine...

My brother is seriously considering buying an EA Ghia that apparently has an ED XR6 engine in it, but asides from that, its a stock EA Ghia (3 speed auto, electric everything, etc.). Apparently it's in VGC inside and out, with the only things being wrong are the front bar is drooping a bit and one of the heater hoses is leaking and needs to be replaced. The seller wants $1500 and it's not coming with a RWC, but it shouldn't need much (if anything) done to pass RWC. Does this sound like a fair deal, or is that too much for what it is?
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2005, 11:31 PM   #2
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Well as long as it doesn't need much for a roady, that would be well worth getting! EA Ghias are a *very* nice ride indeed, a mate of mine had one and it was a damn quick car (5 speed, bought for $1700 with RWC).

The 3 speed can easily be replaced with a T5 too ;) ;) I'm not one to normally advocate a T5 over an auto, but in the 3 speed's case I'll make an exception...

Let us know what he decides on!

Cheers mate

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 04:42 AM   #3
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
My brother is seriously considering buying an EA Ghia that apparently has an ED XR6 engine in it, but asides from that, its a stock EA Ghia (3 speed auto, electric everything, etc.). Apparently it's in VGC inside and out, with the only things being wrong are the front bar is drooping a bit and one of the heater hoses is leaking and needs to be replaced. The seller wants $1500 and it's not coming with a RWC, but it shouldn't need much (if anything) done to pass RWC. Does this sound like a fair deal, or is that too much for what it is?
You forgot it needs new tyres and an aerial also, so with those a RWC and Rego he's really looking at spending nearly 2k. He really should have had someone else go with him to have a look at it seeing as he knows nothing about Falcons.

Aaaaaaaand I still think he should look for an EB. :nutsycuck
Old 16-06-2005, 01:09 PM   #4
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinmyEB
You forgot it needs new tyres and an aerial also, so with those a RWC and Rego he's really looking at spending nearly 2k. He really should have had someone else go with him to have a look at it seeing as he knows nothing about Falcons.
Oh yeah, I forgot about it needing new tyres. And I agree, he should have had someone go and look at it with him who knows something about Falcons, I'm trying to talk him into getting some other people to look at it with him before he commits himself to the deal.

So what does everybody else think? EA Ghia with 3 speed auto and ED XR6 engine running on both LPG and Petrol, apparently in VGC, worth $1500 or more/less?
Old 16-06-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

Considering its on gas, and it has an ED motor, then I would get it if i were him.. how many km's is on it?

Its only real let down is the 3speed which can be changed if you want..

Tell him to try and bargin with the seller a bit..
Old 16-06-2005, 01:43 PM   #6
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA-FALCON-GL
Considering its on gas, and it has an ED motor, then I would get it if i were him.. how many km's is on it?

Its only real let down is the 3speed which can be changed if you want..

Tell him to try and bargin with the seller a bit..
Yeah, I've been telling him to try offering $1000 in cold hard cash, and point out the 3 speed and worn tyres reduce the value. If they really want to sell it, $1000 on the spot may be enough to get them to say "yeah, take it", and that gives him an extra $500 he could spend on the car.

Not sure about how many kms on it, hard to tell seeing as it's not the original motor.
Old 16-06-2005, 01:51 PM   #7
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

Get him to ask the seller, they SHOULD know..
Old 16-06-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There could be a problem with dodgy engine numbers when he comes to register it....you'd wanna check that out...
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 02:11 PM   #9
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbreath_48
There could be a problem with dodgy engine numbers when he comes to register it....you'd wanna check that out...
Seeing as it's currently registered, could it be checked with VicRoads to see if it's registered with that particular engine?
Old 16-06-2005, 02:14 PM   #10
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

If its currently registered, it should be a legal motor, correct?
Old 16-06-2005, 02:18 PM   #11
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA-FALCON-GL
If its currently registered, it should be a legal motor, correct?
Should be, but it depends if when the engine swap was done if they notified VicRoads or not about it. I just asked him, he said he's getting the VIN and engine number so he can check with VicRoads himself.
Old 16-06-2005, 02:19 PM   #12
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

Alright, sounds an alright deal, good luck.. tell him to ask how many km's its got..
Old 19-06-2005, 10:36 PM   #13
The MaDDeSTMaN

Anybody else think it's potentially a good deal?
Old 19-06-2005, 10:57 PM   #14
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Its a good deal potentially. But he had wanna check it out properly first.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2005, 02:56 PM   #15
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

If it all checks out, I reckon it sounds like a good deal. Throw a T5 in there with a 3.23LSD and he's laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2005, 05:09 PM   #16
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Alot of people are talking about changing the tranny and what not. Once that's done, it will probably owe him more than the car is worth.

If he is buying it with the idea to modify it to suit, then he'd be much much better off getting the right car to begin with. Old Falcons are a dime a dozen.
Old 20-06-2005, 06:06 PM   #17
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFOracing
Alot of people are talking about changing the tranny and what not. Once that's done, it will probably owe him more than the car is worth.

If he is buying it with the idea to modify it to suit, then he'd be much much better off getting the right car to begin with. Old Falcons are a dime a dozen.
The question is whether any work would be self-done or paid for at a workshop. Buying a wrecked EA 5 speed for a few hundred, transferring parts across and selling off everything else, you would most likely end up making money.

On the other hand, paying top dollar in labour for every little heater hose and spark plug replacement will make anything that age a pricey car to run.

Best of luck with it.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post