Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-04-2008, 03:48 AM   #1
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Timeshare / Vacation Ownership SCAMS!!!

Hi guys, this is like the first thing on here out of all my posts I have written about scams. Now this is not scepticism or theory, but I have had some experience now, which is a little unfortunate, but now I can warn others. I experienced it here in the US, but DON'T THINK IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN AUSTRALIA Some of these companies operate worldwide, such as Worldmark by Wyndham (formerly known as Trendwest), RCI etc
I have been to two presentations from different companies Worldmark and Consolidated Resorts (who are opening up Tahiti Village in Las Vegas)
There are many things in common with them and many other companies out there. They know that "Time Shares" has a bad connotation to it, and they announcing "we do not sell time shares, this is purely vacation ownership"

They start off by calling you, telling you that you have won a vacation. You think beauty! You go down and they say you have to go to a presentation but don't have to buy anything to get your prize. You think to yourself "ok, I won't sign anything!" You get there, and they do a presentation and tell quite a few lies. Like the cost of land and vacations has risen 1000% in the last few years... Motel 6 started off at $6 a night, now their $100 a night (and they are not really). They create a party atmosphere with loud music and convince you that "Vacation Ownership" is the way to go. It beats inflation with vacations, you can stay in nice resorts at the same price as you could in Motel 6, if you become an owner. I have noticed from research they suck in about 30-50% of people who go to presentations that didnt intend on purchasing.
Well the fact is, there is no real ownership on many of these things, it's more like overpriced membership. The forms you sign can revoke your right to cancel when you want to, and people can be sucked in from $10,000-$50,000 financed through them (at high interest rates), and you CAN BE STUCK IN A CONTRACT!!
What they tell you is if you ever want out, you can sell it, because it's equity. Well, unlike home or other property equity, this depreciates worse than a car. It may only really be resellable for 20% of what you paid.

I am sure people reading this will think "Oh I wouldn't be sucked in, I am too smart for that." But their presentations really are appealing, but their contracts differ a lot from their sales pitch.
So, I write this to warn others, and try to make it well known. I got told today that this industry is the most corrupt in America today, and is worth hundreds of millions of dollars each year, and the companies involved in Timeshares/Vacation Ownership etc back each other up, to keep it going. They target students with no money, they target the elderly, and often there is no way out. No early payout like in a mobile phone contract.

So anything that looks, sounds, smells like timeshares, vacation ownership etc where they want a downpayment, contract and upfront fee for long-term accomodations, AVOID IT! Don't even go to the presentation for the free vacation offer!

Companies that offer this to avoid

Worldmark by Wyndham
RCI Timeshares
II Timeshares
Consolidated Resorts

I hope this helps others, and interested to hear if anyone on this forum can relate to any of this.

Cheers

chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reminds me of a visit my wife and I payed to the Gold Coast in the past. Almost every corner some fool is offering you a free prize if you attend one of these presentations! We did visit one, end result we told them to jam it up their *** but we still took the free $100 dinner voucher! They were very pushy in the interview as well. By memory it was $29K(over 12 months) to join this Beverley Hillbillie's club but this was better spent on the mortgage.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A good warning Chevypower.
Everyone knows it's a scam, yet people still sign up then you see them crying about it on ACA.
"A fool and his money is easily parted", just ask the Nigerians.
Old 27-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
GT-E

ddarby, sounds like the accor Vacationclub if they were doing the $100 dinner.
I stopped my mate from laying down $30,000 on a Trendwest holiday club.
They thanksed me about a year later
Old 28-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Haaaa... just use the tossers to your own advantage.

I been to a heap of Trendwest seminars (think they were spoken on the big screen by Noni Hazelhurst).

Go there, nod like you give a toss, get the free prize etc. (I actually lived 800m from one of their offices on the North Shore of Syd so it wasn't out of my way to go).

On one occasion I bought around 15 grand of whaever junk they were pushing, (on the credit card), got a few 'free' bottles of wine and some other goodies while negotiating the deal. I asked them to highlight the 7 day change of mind clause regarding a full refund if I so choose.

What a shock! after 2 days I "lost my job" oh diddums I needed that refund. They just said, no worries, whats your card number and we will refund it to the card. I told them I had left the wallet in the office and I didn't have it handy so they sent me a cheque with the full refund which I then repayed into my card manually through my account.

Why did I do this? The 'points' I 'earned' allowed me to buy a digital camera 2 model specs' higher than I was going to originally get with the points I had already earnt previously. Not bad for 90 minutes work and 2 phone calls.

Oh, and I also kept the other free stuff as well lol ;)
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
waldo185

hahahahah i tip my hat to you sir , well done ;)

waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Haaaa... just use the tossers to your own advantage.

I been to a heap of Trendwest seminars (think they were spoken on the big screen by Noni Hazelhurst).

Go there, nod like you give a toss, get the free prize etc. (I actually lived 800m from one of their offices on the North Shore of Syd so it wasn't out of my way to go).

On one occasion I bought around 15 grand of whaever junk they were pushing, (on the credit card), got a few 'free' bottles of wine and some other goodies while negotiating the deal. I asked them to highlight the 7 day change of mind clause regarding a full refund if I so choose.

What a shock! after 2 days I "lost my job" oh diddums I needed that refund. They just said, no worries, whats your card number and we will refund it to the card. I told them I had left the wallet in the office and I didn't have it handy so they sent me a cheque with the full refund which I then repayed into my card manually through my account.

Why did I do this? The 'points' I 'earned' allowed me to buy a digital camera 2 model specs' higher than I was going to originally get with the points I had already earnt previously. Not bad for 90 minutes work and 2 phone calls.

Oh, and I also kept the other free stuff as well lol ;)
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
LUXO_8
windsor user

haha...

if anyone rings you to say you have won a prize or a holiday IN A COMPETITION YOU HAVENT ENTERED, its a scam...

people really need to use common sense....you get nothing for nothing these days
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post