Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-07-2008, 11:39 PM   #1
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 245/35/19's on AU - Do I need to roll the guards?

Hi guys, I've searched but not a huge amount of joy, and thought this is better off here than tyre section since more exposure and likely more experience. I'm just wanting to find out from people who've done it if 245/35/19 tyres will go on an AU without needing the guards rolled. I don't really want to find out the hard way that guards need rolling, but at the same time I don't want to fork out $200 if I don't have to, so advice would be great! Also, I trial fitted one of the front wheels, and the tyre comes within a centimetre of the upper knuckle on the control arm, but as long as it's not hitting that's OK right? Since it all moves together it can't hit the tyre?
Tyres are Dunlop SP Sport Maxx if that makes any difference, on FPV 19x8 rims :

mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 01:18 AM   #2
F6 R-Spec
formerly PURSUIT-250

Is she lowered ?

I have 245/35/19's and had to Lightly push the lip up, not flaten it to the gaurd.
Only touched when steering slightley locked going over a speed bump or drive way before they were masaged.

Buy the way they look FANTASTIC.

Cheers Mick.

Last edited by F6 R-Spec; 25-07-2008 at 01:38 AM.
F6 R-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 01:36 AM   #3
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

i only paid 20 bucks a gaurd to roll mine. At my local suspension shop. I had 245's on 18 inch BA GT wheels on mine and they scrubbed. You shouldnt have a problem with the knuckle im pretty sure your sweet with 19's but 245's on 20's will hit.

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 01:38 AM   #4
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

315/25/19 rears don't :

Seriously, the rears wont be a problem at all (make sure you fit the 28.5p offset rims to the rear.

The fronts may only be an issue if you are superlow and even then only on lock with standard neg camber settings. Just add some neg and keep it around the same ride height as pictured and you will be fine.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 01:50 AM   #5
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the input guys! I should really have mentioned the suspension shouldn't I, it is lowered with King SL all round.
Daniel, regarding the offset these are off a BF MkII, so are all 36 offset. Apparently FPV thought it wasn't worth doing staggered offset for the minimal gains and the problems caused with people putting rears on the front etc, so went back to same all round.
I'll put them all on tomorrow and see what I reckon, maybe I will only need the fronts done...
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 06:27 AM   #6
eXi7w0unD

mines lowered with ssls and i gots 245/35/20's i dint need to roll the guards. i went to go do so onc before and they told be its a waste of time, just take them out... lol
Old 25-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
st33l3y
Pursuit #144

Personally mate, I would get them rolled, if only for that peace of mind. I've got Kings Super Super Lows with 18's and she only scrapes if on full lock going over a rough piece of road.
2003 FPV Pursuit #144
| Silhouette | 5 Speed Manual | Pacemaker Twin 2.5" System | Pacemaker 2.5" 200 cell cats | Pacemaker 1 3/4" headers | Yella Terra airbox | Herrod Oil Breathers | MGW Short Shifter | 19" Bonspeed Clutch billet wheels | Spoiler Deleted |
st33l3y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Matt the new rims are going to look fantastic! Personally, as someone else said, I would roll the guards, just to be on the safe side, plus it's not that expensive to do anyway.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #9
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

mmm they do look good and had considered a few of the current FPV wheels but I need 9.5" rears, 8" too little for the look I want.
Good choice with your colour I like.
As Daniel said rears not a worry offsets are the key,I'm running 275's at the rear.
Fronts I would roll the lips, I didn't long ago and have to repair drivers side front again grrrr next time they get rolled !
Also it's always the drivers side hardly ever scrape passenger side....others get this ?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXi7w0unD
mines lowered with ssls and i gots 245/35/20's i dint need to roll the guards. i went to go do so onc before and they told be its a waste of time, just take them out... lol
Can you be be a bit clearer ? explain the bold text.
Didn't roll gaurds front or rear ?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 12:07 PM   #11
JoesAu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
Hi guys, I've searched but not a huge amount of joy, and thought this is better off here than tyre section since more exposure and likely more experience. I'm just wanting to find out from people who've done it if 245/35/19 tyres will go on an AU without needing the guards rolled. I don't really want to find out the hard way that guards need rolling, but at the same time I don't want to fork out $200 if I don't have to, so advice would be great! Also, I trial fitted one of the front wheels, and the tyre comes within a centimetre of the upper knuckle on the control arm, but as long as it's not hitting that's OK right? Since it all moves together it can't hit the tyre?
Tyres are Dunlop SP Sport Maxx if that makes any difference, on FPV 19x8 rims :

If you lower the car beyond the point its at now, you will need to roll the guards, ive had 19's for years and havent had a issue once, there 19x8's 245/35. superlow in front/ultralow in the back. The upper knuckle wont hit, mine is the same about 8mm away from the tyres.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Mine's on SL's and with 245/40/18's i caught the guard on the front.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

yes definitely roll them, mine are rolled and im still catching the guards on gutters. I will need to have them done again
Old 25-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #14
fordman_01
DUB

sorry to hijack the thread but i am soon lowering my car with king lows all round. atm i have stock suspension with kyb shockies. i have 20" wheels. do you think i will need to get mine rolled or anything?

once again sorry to hijack the thread.
fordman_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #15
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

How wide are they?

Short answer, yes.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #16
fordman_01
DUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
How wide are they?

Short answer, yes.
o sorry to mention. they are 225/35/20 on the fronts and 245/35/20 on the rears. they are only lows so i wouldnt be tucking anything except the rear maybe. and if i do have to get them rolled would it just be the front?

sorry again.
fordman_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #17
eXi7w0unD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
Can you be be a bit clearer ? explain the bold text.
Didn't roll gaurds front or rear ?

yea dude, i wanted to roll my guards so in future i can lower my car even more. but i went and got quotes and most the tyre places said that they wanted to TAKE the plastic guards out.....
Old 25-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #18
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't rolled my gaurds and haven't had any issues, spose it depends on what shocks your running too.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post