Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #181
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Phill
Your viewing it at 1080i, but its just stretching it from 720p anyway.
1080p/i will always be sharper than 720anything.

A tv playing a 1080 resolution is sharper because its showing more lines than the same tv playing in 720. Its not just a stretched version of the lower resolution..

1080p>1080i>720p>576p>576i>analog tv
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #182
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
you NEED a HDMI cable to see it in all its glory... you only get 478i or what ever it is with the standard yellow AV cable

its 100% better graphically with the HDMI cable (and price of cable means nothing as many reviews.. and tests have shown .. especially over the short distance from PS3 to TV if they are next to eachother)

thanks for the tips guys
A component cable will support up to 1080i. Only 1080p needs a HDMI.
Old 27-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #183
LTDHO
The one and only

guns.
Getting into any cop car gives you a shot gun.
There is a job on first island that opens gun store
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #184
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know people are complaining about how GTAIV will be edited...well be happy you're getting it.

There is doubt as to whether Fallout III will even be released in Australia due to a lack of 18+ gaming classification.

Some righteous nong from some place says that, "Having 18+ ratings is bad for children because it exposes them to unnecessary scenes of sex and violence."
Well, what does the lack of a classification do? Exposes them LEGALLY.

The people who are against 18+ classification for gaming are people who can't even start their damn computer up.

I was 10 when Doom came out and to this day, I have never shot, stabbed or cut anybody with a chainsaw.

The argument that "games promote violence" is unfounded.

/unsubstantiated rant off

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #185
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
A component cable will support up to 1080i. Only 1080p needs a HDMI.
There was a huge difference on my TV though. I don't recall if I could set 1080i with the component cable but when I got an HDMI for my PS3 it was like I just plugged a next gen console into it in comparison...
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2008, 08:32 PM   #186
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I know people are complaining about how GTAIV will be edited...well be happy you're getting it.

There is doubt as to whether Fallout III will even be released in Australia due to a lack of 18+ gaming classification.

Some righteous nong from some place says that, "Having 18+ ratings is bad for children because it exposes them to unnecessary scenes of sex and violence."
Well, what does the lack of a classification do? Exposes them LEGALLY.

The people who are against 18+ classification for gaming are people who can't even start their damn computer up.

I was 10 when Doom came out and to this day, I have never shot, stabbed or cut anybody with a chainsaw.

The argument that "games promote violence" is unfounded.

/unsubstantiated rant off
Fallout 3 getting banned has nothing to do with violence, Its the way you use drugs, they deem it as being too realistic.
Old 27-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #187
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Fallout 3 getting banned has nothing to do with violence, Its the way you use drugs, they deem it as being too realistic.
Well, it could all be easily fixed if they introduced an 18+ rating, meaning parents will have greater control over the games their children play.
Ultimately, responsibility lies on parents to know what their children are buying. Introducing an 18+ rating will make it easier to know that their underage children cannot have access to games they are not entitled to.

That's all I ask.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 27-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #188
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

even then on the ps3 you can set it to only play XYZ rated games

with the 1-9 rating system
im not entirely sure how it works re: who controls the content...
maybe its a password i dont know .. as theres different logons etc
and i play all my games and im the only 1 who plays my ps3
Old 27-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #189
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:
Well, it could all be easily fixed if they introduced an 18+ rating, meaning parents will have greater control over the games their children play.
Ultimately, responsibility lies on parents to know what their children are buying. Introducing an 18+ rating will make it easier to know that their underage children cannot have access to games they are not entitled to.

That's all I ask.
You don't have to tell me, every single time they pull this crap on some of the best games. Common sense never seems to prevail though, they still think the target audience of gamers is 5 - 12 year olds.
Old 27-07-2008, 09:37 PM   #190
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
There was a huge difference on my TV though. I don't recall if I could set 1080i with the component cable but when I got an HDMI for my PS3 it was like I just plugged a next gen console into it in comparison...
Yep, if you want the very best out of a PS3 you need a HDMI cable/1080p.
Old 27-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #191
3vXT

+1 for a 18+ classification.

Maybe it wasn't needed years ago when we were playing sonic the hedghog and super mario brothers but consoles and games have evolved a lot since then. The average age of a current console owner is getting older so the people making games for them are making more adult orientated games.
A huge proportion (the majority even) of people playing current console games are adults, its time the rating reflected this.
Old 27-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #192
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:
A huge proportion (the majority even) of people playing current console games are adults, its time the rating reflected this.
Well it has to be.. I wonder if they thought that the people playing sonic and mario 20 years ago were never going to grow up?
Old 27-07-2008, 10:53 PM   #193
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You don't have to tell me, every single time they pull this crap on some of the best games. Common sense never seems to prevail though, they still think the target audience of gamers is 5 - 12 year olds.
Well that's the thing.

When SOnic was released back in 1991, it was a cute little game.

However, games now have far darker storylines etc. and are far more complex to solve...clearly designed for a mature gamer as the puzzles would be too complex for some kids to solve.

As I said, the people blocking the 18+ censorship are the people who really have no idea about gaming or its demographic, and its frustrating because most mature gamers are responsible people with families, jobs, and a sense of responsibility. We know right from wrong.
Why should we be punished?

I'd love to do a giant march to make the point of 18+ classification. I reckon parents would support it if they were told, "Your children will be unable to purchase the most violent games, which may also contain drug use and/or sex scenes."

Unfortunately, as you said Phil, people see gaming as a thing for toddlers and early primary schoolers.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 27-07-2008, 10:56 PM   #194
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still have my SNES and Sega Mega Drive...
I bought an emulator for the SMD and play SMS games on it too.

THe games back then were very simple and generally pretty cheerful.

Gaming has come a long way.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 27-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #195
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Yeh, but I also remember Leisure Suit Larry coming out back in the day, there's always been some adult orientated games. I remember the 'adult protection' it had lol, 'Who was Hitler?'.

Here's something interesting:

Old 27-07-2008, 11:50 PM   #196
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Falcon_Phill]Yeh, but I also remember Leisure Suit Larry coming out back in the day, there's always been some adult orientated games. I remember the 'adult protection' it had lol, 'Who was Hitler?'.

With LSL, on 1 and 3, just press CTRL + ALT + X (and maybe SHIFT too) to skip the password protection.

I was in early primary school when I learned what a lubber was all about, and what happens if you didn't use one when performing intercourse with a prostitute.

But yep...it shows gross inconsistency.
If we get a standard classification system that covers ALL ages, it will be far easier to police, and fairer on all consumers, including children, parents and adult gamers.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 28-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #197
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

the OFLC is about as reliable and consistent as an AFL umpire... not very at all.

I think the unfortunate part in this is that you cant keep everyone happy. Take for instance the soon to be released PSN game 'Fat Princess'. it involves kidnapping your oppositions princess, locking her up, feeding her cupcakes and other junk food to get her fat, so that it is harder for her saviours to rescue her. obviously the fatter she is the heavier she is so it requires more troops to try save her. Now already the feminists have thrown the proverbial at the fan, and theres potential in this case that even an 18+ rating wouldnt let it into the country. But that remains to be seen.

put things into perspective though, an R18+ rating etc is only going to work if people enforce it. i remember when i was young at the local video store, they would never let me hire a MOVIE that was MA15 or R18, but if i took a video game up there they wouldnt even bother looking at the rating on the box and i was free to go kill people (in imagination land).
Old 28-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #198
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndArdAU
Take for instance the soon to be released PSN game 'Fat Princess'. it involves kidnapping your oppositions princess, locking her up, feeding her cupcakes and other junk food to get her fat, so that it is harder for her saviours to rescue her. obviously the fatter she is the heavier she is so it requires more troops to try save her.

I will support anything that ****es feminists off.
Old 28-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #199
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The average age of a current console owner is getting older so the people making games for them are making more adult orientated games.
Yes. I read somewhere that the average gamers in Australia are 27-28 yrs old. I thought it'd be a lot lower, but yeh.

So I showed that fact/data to the people at work that looked me funny when I said to them that I play games.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #200
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
So I showed that fact/data to the people at work that looked me funny when I said to them that I play games.
Yep i know exactly what you mean. I was talking about it the other day with a mate that, like me, grew up with sega megadrives/playstation 1's etc... and i thought, when we are 50 (we're both 26yo) will we still be spending money on expensive consoles and generally taking games as seriously as we do now.
I asked him and he said "what the hell is wrong with that"
We both have decent jobs and earn plenty of money, we aren't weirdo shut-in geeks, we're pretty much normal but its still a little socially unacceptable for adult men to play video games.
Its just a hobby but the public perception is that PS3s and Xboxes are for children and while ever people think like that, they'll baulk at an R18 rating.
Old 28-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #201
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
Yes. I read somewhere that the average gamers in Australia are 27-28 yrs old. I thought it'd be a lot lower, but yeh.

Back when I was playing EverQuest II, there were a couple of blokes who were 60+ playing on my server.
Also many ladies in their 30s and 40s.

I must admit I wa surprised, but it goes to show that you have to experience gaming to fully gain an appreciation.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 31-07-2008, 11:37 PM   #202
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I have a q/n on this game, Is it possible to evade 5 or 6 stars? I have tried in everything, helicopter, speedboat and bike. Just end up going in circles...

Evading 4 stars gives you the 'walk free' achievement..

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 11:48 PM   #203
3vXT

Yep, its a little harder obviously but it can be done.
Best way i've found is to zig zag through the streets avoiding the cops (obviously) and working your way towards the edge of the circle.

I had the cops chasing me on 4 stars across all the big islands for 39 minutes today
Old 01-08-2008, 01:16 AM   #204
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

The best way to avoid 6 stars is to either get in a boat and fang it in a straight direction, or go under the rail tunnels and fly through them really fast in a car. Eventually you will be out of their search area. If you have 3 stars or more, you cant get rid of them with the helicopter. Going around corner after corner with them chasing you also makes it alot easier, or you could always just save your game and they're gone.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #205
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Just finished the game, but its only on 65% complete, what else is there to be done??
Old 01-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #206
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Kill 200 pigeons, beat all the races, make everyone a friend and do every activity with them, do all the side missions for the cops etc. Plenty!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #207
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=608766

1) You cant stab cab drivers in their cars.
2) If he hadnt played IV, I doubt he can blame it.
3) What a load of sh^t.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #208
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As I said, I've played more games than that little 16 year old Thai ****ant could point his 1-inch willy at, and I've never wanted to kill anybody, even when the games have driven me nuts.

The media have an agenda...here's my answer, "He was nuts.". Simple as that.
Hitler was nuts...he crazy regime wasn't due to a computer game angering him. He was simply nuts.

Why must such retards find excuses when the answer is so much simpler?

Don't snap my undies.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #209
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Announced for PC Nov. 19 WOO!

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=54059
Old 07-08-2008, 07:25 PM   #210
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

Quote:
As I said, I've played more games than that little 16 year old Thai ****ant could point his 1-inch willy at, and I've never wanted to kill anybody, even when the games have driven me nuts.

The media have an agenda...here's my answer, "He was nuts.". Simple as that.
Hitler was nuts...he crazy regime wasn't due to a computer game angering him. He was simply nuts.

Why must such retards find excuses when the answer is so much simpler?
otherwise they wouldn't have a job!

its so stupid that they try to put forward some unimaginably complex reason as to why these things happen.