Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-07-2005, 02:01 PM   #1
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Default Looking at a Go-cart

Hay peoples. I am checking out second hand go-carts and I have around $2000 to play with. But I dont know that much about go-carting but I was looking on E-bay and found so Nice looking carts. Can some one give me some info or tips and some gen info ib what to look out for.
Here are some carts on E-bay.

$900 Demon XP kart ,it has 100cc PRD engine rebuilt 5hrs old plus new electrics (PRD is a faster engine than the Yamaha 100S), only used as a recreational kart, 30mm axle, 28 mm Chassis, new floor tray, twin piston hydraulic brakes, near new cross drilled brake disc,well presented kart, recently painted and with new Demon XP sticker kit.

$1800 ax6 silver annversary kart ,it has 100cc clubman rebuilt 6hrs old ,only used for social, it was build by parramatta kart centre,also has a raap jet exhust with silencer,35mm axle,pulse engine tacho,tires near new,excellent condition.

So what do yous think? I just need info please. Thank you

Old 11-07-2005, 08:54 PM   #2
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Hey XR8fella,
The Demon XP was a revolutionary Kart Back When, and I found it very tunable for racing in the wet. It is now a little old for racing competetivly. Do you wish to race, or just a blat at a club? (think about now and in the future). The PRD was Aussie built and made about 16hp, compered to 14 for a top Clubman(Yamaha KT100S) or 10 for a top National(Yamaha KT100J). They were said to offer a choice against the RESA which produced about 18, but the RESA outsold them. They were pretty level in actual performance though! Kart new, 12 years ago, $2450ish. Engine new $1010, inc pipe and carby. The price you mentioned is spot on, but only for social use!
The AX6 has been around for about 8 to 10 years now but changed a bit over the time. Pretty common to see them with a Clubby for $1300 to $1500, so it will have to be a good one. After about 10 hours, it will need a top end freshen up, ring and gaskets, and at 20ish a piston and ring. at 40ish, a bearings etc. A new motor is about $980ish, plus pipe and carby.
Extra's not included when you purchase new Gear is Carby, Pipe, Engine Mount, Tyres, Sprockets, Chain, and Trolley. These things add up, so the best start is to buy the whole kit and kaboodle like this. Drama will be if it is a bit out of date, some things will not pass current rules, with pipes, tyres etc changing from time to time.
If you wish to race, drop into your club on a race weekend, and ask an official if they can spare some time for a chat. Not only will they help you out with the good goss about costs of membership and liscences, but $1 will get you $2, they will introduce you to all and sundry who have a Kart for sale, and let you know if its a good price. This way you will likely get a Kart that will be current for rules, but also the bloke you buy from will likely help with set up advice etc.
Did I waffle on too much??
Happy to give any help, if you require more!!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2005, 10:20 PM   #3
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Well I'd have to agree with Mike on this, he's pretty well hit the nail on the head.
I've been out of racing karts for over 10 years, and things have changed too much for me to comment accurately.

My set up cost me about $2500 and was a reasonable clubman kart.
As he said, it's the extras that add up, and it's the very useful advice you can get for your local club that you can't put a price on.

$2000 should buy you prettywell everything you need, and a good kart & engine to boot.

I recently went & watched the Qld Championships here at our local track, and jeeze I'm tempted to get my kart out & have some fun again!!

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2005, 11:14 PM   #4
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much do these karts cost to keep on the track? MNM96 mentioned:
Quote:
After about 10 hours, it will need a top end freshen up, ring and gaskets, and at 20ish a piston and ring. at 40ish, a bearings etc...
Is this pretty well a normal cost for most motors, or only for higher end club racing?
How about tyres/chains/sprokets/brakes and any other wearing parts? (presuming they're chain drive?!?) How long do they last, and how much are you looking at to keep them fresh?

Karts sound like a fairly cheap way to have a lot of fun - i must say i'm tempted!

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 08:08 AM   #5
rodderz

I'de say $2000 will get you a decent 100cc 2-stroke considering that they are cheaper now that the Rotax classes are popular. I got an Arrow AX6 KT100Scc about 5 years ago for $2400, sold it for 200 bucks less 3 yrs later, and it was in grea condtion.

I would prefer buying a used cart from a reputable kart shop or someone that they could recommend, as these 2-strokes do need some care. They will need rebuilding after 8-10hrs or so depending on usage and care. Doesnt take much of wrong fuel/oil ratio's to prematurely wear them. Kart shops may sell them at a higher price than provate, but what a lot do is sell them for private people and keep it in their shop. This way a good shop will tell you what has/hasnt been serviced and how long ago the last rebuild was. If you're lucky they will have the kart stand, spares etc withit too

As ohers have said, it's very worth while holding off just a few more weeks and going toi your local kart place, or getting magazines etc (such as KartOz) and learning more before you jump in. Learning is pretty quick, and once you get one, the setup is just as fun as the driving
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post