Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #31
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked

I see a little bit of Veyron in this car, I wonder if it was some of the inspiration for the style/colour?

Old 04-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #32
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
I would love to have kept it, but with the gun laws if I'd been caught with it could have gone to prison.
I regret not getting it decommissioned now, I could have kept it then.
Ahhh well another one of lifes regrets, the list just gets longer.
Do you know what type it was?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:06 AM   #33
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was a German MG34 light machine gun. He captured it in Crete during WW2, don't know how he got it home.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:59 AM   #34
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It was a German MG34 light machine gun. He captured it in Crete during WW2, don't know how he got it home.
Shame you gave it away. If it was in good nick it would be worth up to $20,000 in the collector/theatrical market.
If you can get it back I can get you a LOT of money for it legally (for a percentage of course).
I am out of the trade but I still have friends in low places........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #35
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
I see a little bit of Veyron in this car, I wonder if it was some of the inspiration for the style/colour?

actually i can see a fair amount of similarity in there with certain lines, the dual colours most probably influenced it the most but also the lines of the side window on the old model and the huge side air intake on the veyron.. love bugatti's though, always have its weird how only the Veyron and the historic models get mentioned anywhere, havn't heard a thing about the EB110SS and others for a very long time!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #36
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
actually i can see a fair amount of similarity in there with certain lines, the dual colours most probably influenced it the most but also the lines of the side window on the old model and the huge side air intake on the veyron.. love bugatti's though, always have its weird how only the Veyron and the historic models get mentioned anywhere, havn't heard a thing about the EB110SS and others for a very long time!
EB110's...

Nice car, one of the fastest cars of the time (XJ220 was faster, the the Maclaren F1 was released...in '93..). Was a bit odd for a bugatti, looked alot more like a lambo, and the trademark grill was almost non-exsistant. Still it was expensive...$480-$570 thou, but cheaper then some others like the XJ220...sad time really for the company, it went bankrupt and only 150-dd were built. Its a shame the EB112 didn't make it bast concept stage, but it did lend some design aspesct to the Veyron....

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 09:59 PM   #37
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Shame you gave it away. If it was in good nick it would be worth up to $20,000 in the collector/theatrical market.
If you can get it back I can get you a LOT of money for it legally (for a percentage of course).
I am out of the trade but I still have friends in low places........
Good thought but afraid I can't get it back. Because it was donated to the Commonwealth it's now theirs. When they collected it the guy made a point of letting me know that I'd never be able to get it back, but I just wanted to be rid of it in case I got dobbed in. Of course I'm kicking myself now. :togo:
Old 06-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #38
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is that a photo of the actual weapon? I hope the Australian War Memorial got that! They have a lot of "bring back" weapons from Aussie diggers in their collection.
cheers
Bill.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #39
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

What a great story, and an incredible car. I'd agree strongly with comments re cost - it would cost more than most people have to restore that car properly, it would make doing a GT to concours spec look cheap!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #40
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
Is that a photo of the actual weapon? I hope the Australian War Memorial got that! They have a lot of "bring back" weapons from Aussie diggers in their collection.
cheers
Bill.
No Bill it's not the actual gun it's a pic I pulled from a google search, but it was exactly the same.
The WA museum were supposed to get it but on the 2 occassions I've been there it's not on display. When I asked about where it was I was told it was probably in their armoury at Leewuin because the museum had been broken into before and 2 AK's were stolen so they don't keep any weapons there any more.
So unfortunately it's just locked away which defeats the whole purpose of me donating it to them.
Maybe I should write to the Canberra War Museum and advise them and they can do something with it.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #41
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No Bill it's not the actual gun it's a pic I pulled from a google search, but it was exactly the same.
The WA museum were supposed to get it but on the 2 occassions I've been there it's not on display. When I asked about where it was I was told it was probably in their armoury at Leewuin because the museum had been broken into before and 2 AK's were stolen so they don't keep any weapons there any more.
So unfortunately it's just locked away which defeats the whole purpose of me donating it to them.
Maybe I should write to the Canberra War Museum and advise them and they can do something with it.
AWM Mitchell annex has wheelbarrows of them BUT if you can dig up the story of "who, what, where, when, why" it was captured they will be VERY interested. They want history not lumps of metal.

I gave them a Tokarev AVT-40 select fire 7.62x54 battle rifle pinched from a russian tank in Germany during the final days of the war (actually I swapped it for a M60E3) years ago. I got to see some of the goodies and heard some of the stories.
A mate swapped them the interior of the ME-262 jet for 9 Sturmgewehr 44 assault rifles (which I foolishly did not buy one of).

They are not allowed to "trade" now except with other museums (thank you jackboot johnny) but they will accept donations.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post