Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #91
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
2008's two biggest sellers were still pick-up trucks. We have many many contractors here.

I think the majority of Americans don't believe that gas prices will stay as low as they currently are. Steve
Yet the payload of several Falcon ute models is higher than the F150 that was sold here for a fews years ago. They don't necessarily need the same size vehicle, just the same carrying capacity.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 04:17 AM   #92
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Yet the payload of several Falcon ute models is higher than the F150 that was sold here for a fews years ago. They don't necessarily need the same size vehicle, just the same carrying capacity.

I would agree with that. What is the carrying capacity of the utes now? The base F-150 is 3,000 pounds / 1,361 Kg.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #93
cool65
carefactor zero

Struggling US motoring giant General Motors (GM) has axed the Australian-made Pontiac G8 ST sports truck, a vehicle based on the popular Holden ute.

The car was to be built at GM's plant at Elizabeth, South Australia, and shipped to the American market but with GM's survival relying on a multi-billion dollar US government bailout, the company confirmed on Tuesday the Pontiac ute was one of the casualties of its financial problems.

The Pontiac ute was a re-badged version of Holden's VE ute.

Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson said GM would continue to produce Pontiac sedans for the US market from the Elizabeth plant after impressive sales in the US.

"It's just the ute model," Hopson confirmed to AAP on Wednesday.

"Not the remainder of the G8 family."
cool65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #94
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I would agree with that. What is the carrying capacity of the utes now? The base F-150 is 3,000 pounds / 1,361 Kg.

Steve
Around 1200kg.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 06:41 AM   #95
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Around 1200kg.
That's very impressive for a vehicle that size. What about towing capacity?

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 08-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #96
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool65
Struggling US motoring giant General Motors (GM) has axed the Australian-made Pontiac G8 ST sports truck, a vehicle based on the popular Holden ute.

The car was to be built at GM's plant at Elizabeth, South Australia, and shipped to the American market but with GM's survival relying on a multi-billion dollar US government bailout, the company confirmed on Tuesday the Pontiac ute was one of the casualties of its financial problems.

The Pontiac ute was a re-badged version of Holden's VE ute.

Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson said GM would continue to produce Pontiac sedans for the US market from the Elizabeth plant after impressive sales in the US.

"It's just the ute model," Hopson confirmed to AAP on Wednesday.

"Not the remainder of the G8 family."

I would suspect because GM is getting money from the Federal Government that they don't want to be seen spending it to bring over cars from Australia that they aren't bringing over already. Just my guess.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 08-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #97
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
That's very impressive for a vehicle that size. What about towing capacity?

Steve

Auto model its 1600kg but you can option a 2300kg tow pack (again auto only, manual only allows 1200kg).
Old 08-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #98
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Auto model its 1600kg but you can option a 2300kg tow pack (again auto only, manual only allows 1200kg).

Again, very impressive for a vehicle of this size, but not quite in the range of the F-150.

I have shopped around the Falcon Ute at some message boards with younger crowds and get mixed reviews. Thinking they would dig something different I thought they would like it. Basically it seems to be a love/hate thing. Some love the styling, others wonder why someone would build such a thing, usually those that have never seen an El Camino or Ranchero.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 08-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #99
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Again, very impressive for a vehicle of this size, but not quite in the range of the F-150.

I have shopped around the Falcon Ute at some message boards with younger crowds and get mixed reviews. Thinking they would dig something different I thought they would like it. Basically it seems to be a love/hate thing. Some love the styling, others wonder why someone would build such a thing, usually those that have never seen an El Camino or Ranchero.

Steve
Did you show them what they (Commodore and Falcon Ute) are based on? Falcon usually gets drools (among other things) from the Americans on various boards, wondering why you don't have the XR6 Turbo and XR8 for sale over there. Pontiac have tried and Failed with the Commodore, and the El Camino won't appear any more (but Pontiac itself is on shaky ground).

Do you think Falcon would sell in the States as, say F100? Hypothetically, as is (I6T as an option).
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post