Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Petrol v Diesel, It's got closer all of a sudden

Having 2 diesel Vehicles, I couldn't beleive the difference in the price between Petrol and Diesel for the last 18 months. Diesel has always been at least 30 cents a litre more expensive than Petrol. Until this week up here. All of a sudden Unleaded is 96 cpl and I got diesel today for $1.07 cpl. What's happened in the last week to change this ??????????

Old 07-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Still $1.22 here, i hope this will be across the board.

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conne...es/?CACHE=NONE
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Adelaide is still $1.28 p/l. You have it lucky up there!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
go_ford

$1.36 here..wow thats cheap. but isnt it about to go back up
Old 07-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
Luke3000

Its $1.05ish in syndey for unleaded, premium about the same price as Diesel which is $1.22ish.
Strange, but i suspect we are getting massively ripped.
Time to but some shares in shell or caltex people!
They seem to put the price up straight away and disregard lowering crude oil prices when it happens.
Robbing bastards!
Luke3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 01:35 AM   #6
old_mate
Smash the Boost

i'd drive up the coast and back to buy it for $1.07, musta been a signo (think typo)

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #7
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Back in the early 00's when fuel was $50 a Barrell we were paying 89c per litre at the Bowser. The exchange rate was much the same.

It's now $38 a barrell and we're paying $1.09 a Litre.

Yeah, we're being ripped.

Lukeyson
Old 08-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
i'd drive up the coast and back to buy it for $1.07, musta been a signo (think typo)
Actually was $1.11cpl minus your 4 cent discount voucher which made it $1.07cpl. A lot better than $1.52cpl a couple of months ago........
Old 08-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Spotted 97 cents per litre for regular BP unleaded on Monday in Sandhurst this week...
Old 09-01-2009, 02:21 AM   #10
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

here unleaded is $1.12 and i think diesel is $1.29.9
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #11
axeray

Still 20c to 30c difference here
axeray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #12
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

buggerlugs and others, i'll explain it to you.
in aus, when you buy a litre of oil-based fuel (petrol or diesel, not LPG) you're paying two components - the price of the fuel and the government taxes. so the government taxes account for about 40c. The rest of the cost of the fuel is largely predicted by the price of oil per barrel. Why is diseasel more expensive than petrol? Cos there's more oil in a litre of diesel than petrol, hence why some people call diesels 'oilers'. I thought the refining process for diesel was shorter, thats why it used to be cheaper? Yes, it used to be shorter, before government mandated low-sulphur diesel. When the price of oil per barrel comes down, obviously the gap in price between petrol and diesel is going to come down, but not in a fractional sense. Ie lets set a benchmark at 40c per litre is the govt taxes. On top of that used to be a dollar for the actual petrol component, making $1.40/l for petrol. Add 30% for the extra cost of diesel, and that's $1.70 for diesel. Now, the price of oil per barrel comes down significantly, and the cost of a litre of petrol is now only 50c above the cost of the govt taxes, making 90c/litre. Add 30% for the extra cost of diesel, and we have diesel at $1.05 per litre. The gap has halved! But by no reason whatsoever but the simple change in the price of oil per barrel. It's all relative.

PS I hate diseasels.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
in aus, when you buy a litre of oil-based fuel (petrol or diesel, not LPG) you're paying two components - the price of the fuel and the government taxes. so the government taxes account for about 40c. The rest of the cost of the fuel is largely predicted by the price of oil per barrel. Why is diseasel more expensive than petrol? Cos there's more oil in a litre of diesel than petrol, hence why some people call diesels 'oilers'. I thought the refining process for diesel was shorter, thats why it used to be cheaper? Yes, it used to be shorter, before government mandated low-sulphur diesel. When the price of oil per barrel comes down, obviously the gap in price between petrol and diesel is going to come down, but not in a fractional sense. Ie lets set a benchmark at 40c per litre is the govt taxes. On top of that used to be a dollar for the actual petrol component, making $1.40/l for petrol. Add 30% for the extra cost of diesel, and that's $1.70 for diesel. Now, the price of oil per barrel comes down significantly, and the cost of a litre of petrol is now only 50c above the cost of the govt taxes, making 90c/litre. Add 30% for the extra cost of diesel, and we have diesel at $1.05 per litre. The gap has halved! But by no reason whatsoever but the simple change in the price of oil per barrel. It's all relative.

PS I hate diseasels.

Diesel just happens to be more in demand now as most of Europe and Asia use it as not only a transport fuel in trucks and buses, but also in the VW Golfs & Audi A3s and Toyota Kijangs and Innovas. Its all supply and demand, look at what happend to the price of Iron Ore and Aluminium, with high demand, came high prices, now demand has crashed and so has the price of those commodities.

God help us diesel drivers if the bloody yanks start buying diesel cars!

Having said that, I think the price of fuel is artifically high. I'm trying to think when the Government froze Fuel Indexation, was it 1999? That's when the tax on fuel effectively froze at a set percentage. So if the price of a "barrell" of oil is now around the $50 mark, which it was back in 1999, I think, we should be seeing fuel prices close to that with an increase to cover wage, transport, capital and other things that have gone up ion the preceeding 10 years...
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

PS I hate diseasels.
Nothing wrong with diesels if used in the correct application. Also they're the strongest motors out there and mixed with LPG are very cheap to run.

Also there is an extra excise on Diesel (17.5c) then there is on petrol. This was done by the hippys when the GST came in as they didn't want everyone getting diesel cars.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #15
winkle

Here in Ballarat unleaded is 97.9 and diesel is 128.9, so still the 30c differential. I've heard it said that one of the reasons diesel is so dear is that there is little retail demand. Comments?
winkle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #16
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Also there is an extra excise on Diesel (17.5c) then (sic) there is on petrol.
Are you sure?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkle
Here in Ballarat unleaded is 97.9 and diesel is 128.9, so still the 30c differential. I've heard it said that one of the reasons diesel is so dear is that there is little retail demand. Comments?

There's quite a few trucks running in Australia, also Ag equipment, generators (unless they're using natural gas), mining equipment, large ships use proper diesel when coming into port (out in the ocean they just use crude on their low speed diesel engines) and 4wd's and some personal cars. Trucks, ag equipment and mining equipment drink due to being large and pulling big loads. So there is demand there.
I know mid 2008 there was a world shortage on the stuff so it would be supply and demand playing then. But now the world is slowing down so you would think that Diesel wouldn't be in as much demand as before.

Quote:
Are you sure?
Yes, but there is a rebate on commercial vehicles but these vehicles must comply with certain emmission laws to qualify for the rebate. I know the rebate started at 17.5c/l but it did go up a few years back. Unfortunatly my dads prime mover (while he said it complied) had to be proven to comply to get the rebate.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #18
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontPom
Spotted 97 cents per litre for regular BP unleaded on Monday in Sandhurst this week...
I saw 99.9 cents per litre for 91 at BP in Bulla yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #19
Mr Hardware

Well i bought E10 for 80.5cpl on wednesday
but i also bought LPG for 39.9 but hey, lets talk about the worst fuel in the world, diseasel, with its carcenogenic, pollutant spewing applications
Old 09-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #20
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Diesel passenger car sales are up 65% in recent years, it's supply and demand.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Well i bought E10 for 80.5cpl on wednesday
but i also bought LPG for 39.9 but hey, lets talk about the worst fuel in the world, diseasel, with its carcenogenic, pollutant spewing applications

Yet deisel wont kill ya if its pumped into a room!

From Tier 3 diesel is becoming cleaner then petrol. Tier 4 will be cleaner (this is why we need bio fuels). The only issue I can see with tier 4 is if the R&D to get a tier 4 engine is half assed then the life of the engine will not last as long as the old engine.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #22
Mr Hardware

biodiesel should be alright imo. however, diesel would have to come a long way before it could be a replacement for an LPG I6. Out of all the diesels i've driven, only one has impressed me, and that's a Ford Ranger Turbo Diesel. Even with the standard LSD, i had difficulty with not lighting up the rears from takeoff. Most other diseasels would just be utter slugs off the line, but not this one. However, it refuses to run biodiesel.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #23
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Quote:
biodiesel should be alright imo. however, diesel would have to come a long way before it could be a replacement for an LPG I6.
No one said any different, however the sulfur content of diesel fuel dropped from 500 parts per million to 50ppm in 2006.
It will fall again to 10ppm in 2009, in line with overseas standards, most notably those set by the European Union. The EU says that particle levels below 10ppm are so low they become difficult to measure.

Quote:
Most other diseasels would just be utter slugs off the line, but not this one. However, it refuses to run biodiesel.
You obviously have little experience with new diesels.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
No one said any different, however the sulfur content of diesel fuel dropped from 500 parts per million to 50ppm in 2006.
It will fall again to 10ppm in 2009, in line with overseas standards, most notably those set by the European Union. The EU says that particle levels below 10ppm are so low they become difficult to measure.
Also if they can get the particulate levels down to practically 0 with Tier 3 engines using 50ppm, the tier 4 motors should be fine with 10ppm. Mind you to reduce the NOx levels to practically 0 you do increase the particulate levels in the emmissions but that would be why they are running cleaner diesel and would be removing it from the exhaust.

I'm just wondering what the serviceing cost will be with these Tier 4 vehicles.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #25
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Also if they can get the particulate levels down to practically 0 with Tier 3 engines using 50ppm, the tier 4 motors should be fine with 10ppm. Mind you to reduce the NOx levels to practically 0 you do increase the particulate levels in the emmissions but that would be why they are running cleaner diesel and would be removing it from the exhaust.

I'm just wondering what the serviceing cost will be with these Tier 4 vehicles.
If you mean the European Diesel's with particulate filters. then about on par with other cars. A major service for the 307 HDi is approx $700, but it is stretched out over 20,000kms, so it balances out over a longer period, say 45,000kms. Two services for the diesel (minor and major) vs three for the petrol engine (minor, major, minor, based on 15,000kms service intervals). Not to mention that in our particular model, the cam belt doesn't need to be done until 180,000kms, so there is another saving in servicing costs.

To Mr Hardware, you need to get out and drive the modern euro diesels such as the Golf's and Peugeots. They are so much fun to drive, especially with the bags of torque on tap from such low RPM. As for emissions, I ran my finger inside the end of the exhaust pipe in the 307 after 17,000kms. My finger came out clean. With the particulate filter as well, there is bugger all that is released in to the atmosphere. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter
Old 09-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #26
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
If you mean the European Diesel's with particulate filters. then about on par with other cars. A major service for the 307 HDi is approx $700, but it is stretched out over 20,000kms, so it balances out over a longer period, say 45,000kms. Two services for the diesel (minor and major) vs three for the petrol engine (minor, major, minor, based on 15,000kms service intervals). Not to mention that in our particular model, the cam belt doesn't need to be done until 180,000kms, so there is another saving in servicing costs.
There is also some talk that the cars will run something in the exhaust (the best was to describe it would be a cat) for the NOx levels (this is for Tier 4 engines). If my mate from Merc is correct these things aren't cheap to change (mind you Mercs aren't cheap) and wont be there for the life of the car. Mind you I need to do further reaserch on this.