Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Jeremy Clarkson's Car of The Year

Feel free to read that headline as many times as necessary, but yes, it's true: Clarkson-san wrote "Out of nowhere, my car of the year," the Corvette ZR1. The man who pooped on the spearhead of electric cars has given an American high horsepower pushrod V8 the gold and glory. And this is after comparing the ZR1's predecessors to Big Macs: "Cheap, plastic and at the right time, and in the right place, sort of just what you want."

Not only that, but to put the ZR1 on its pedestal, Clarkson went so far as to remove the Caterham 500 he had previously placed there. On the show, he said that the Caterham was the best of the year, but in his article writes, "However, if you broaden the search engine and look simply for the best car of the year, the Caterham isn't in with a shout because it's ugly and geeky and I wouldn't have one even if the option was the loss of my right testicle."

And so the ZR1 reigns, even though "it's not built very well." In Clarkson's words, it is "both docile and extraordinarily savage," looks good, goes fast in a straight line and around corners, "most of the time bumbles about like a forgetful uncle," and costs "lots for a Corvette" but is a bargain for the performance. His only lament about the car was this: "unless the healthcare and pensions company that makes it can be turned around, it will be the last of the breed." The ZR1 - winning hearts and minds...

Old 24-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

and i agree with him, im not a corvette fan but that is just one AURSOME car, aside from a 440K GT2 porsche GT2 nothing else comes close to it for go to whoah.... I really really want to have a steer of one, ive driven a Z06 while it was 'different' it wasnt a good different aparantly the Z01 is just sublime.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

nice choice, it would be between the ZR1 and the GT2.

anyone upset the FG didn't get a mention? :P
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Iv always been a viper fan (and a mopar guy), but the ZR1 is pretty nice, i would buy one if I already had 2 vipers ;-) Then S/charge them to drill the 'Vette! LOL!
Nah its a very nice car, and I agree with him in that modern performance cars of today have too many interfering electronics. The first thing I would do everytime i started my own BMW M5 or similar, would be to turn every interfering electronic element on it to off.. So I would be paying all that money for gismo's and R&D I would never use. Just my 2c!
Old 25-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The bfIII wagon should have won. with e-gas option.
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

ZR1 is nice, brutal power and torque yet so simple.. Big V8 + S/C = Smiles

Personally i'd be more interisted in a AMG Mercedes or even a Audi..
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Like the ZR1 it has faults (like the seats) but seems bloody good value for what it is and is trying to be.

And as for a Caterham I'd have an R500 (sequential auto with cage and without windscreen) any day of the week. Threatened with the loss of a testical or not.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Good choice, Vette's are one of my fav american muscle cars!
Old 25-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Personally i'd be more interisted in a AMG Mercedes or even a Audi..
It'd be interesting to see Clarkson choosing between the CLK63 AMG Black Edition and the Corvette ZR-1... cos Jeremy really liked the CLK63 AMG, I think I read it somewhere that he ended up buying one.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #10
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
It'd be interesting to see Clarkson choosing between the CLK63 AMG Black Edition and the Corvette ZR-1... cos Jeremy really liked the CLK63 AMG, I think I read it somewhere that he ended up buying one.
i thought he had the SLK55 AMG and the Gallardo

Either way the Vette was very impressive.

Not a fan at all of the Caterhams. A colleague at work has one and they are definitely fast, but I could never see myself lusting after one.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2009, 07:34 AM   #11
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
ZR1 is nice, brutal power and torque yet so simple.. Big V8 + S/C = Smiles
I would prefer it with the previous engine though, the 7 litre job rather than the blown 6.2
Old 26-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #12
itchy brother
Windsor Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
nice choice, it would be between the ZR1 and the GT2.

anyone upset the FG didn't get a mention? :P
Old 26-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
i thought he had the SLK55 AMG and the Gallardo

Either way the Vette was very impressive.

Not a fan at all of the Caterhams. A colleague at work has one and they are definitely fast, but I could never see myself lusting after one.
First he had an F355, sold it to get the AMG Merc, then he sold that to get a Ford GT, had problems with it so he sold that and finally got a Gallardo!

He sure does love his cars.

Apparently, Clarkson's Missus drives a Caterham on the weekends...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post