Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
Froudey
Banned

Default Trouble Starting AUII XR6

My AUII XR6 HP is a bugger start in the morning and when it has been siting longer then say an hour. Once running not a drama. it trys to start but is acting like it is starved of fuel or not enough ignition source, I turn the key nothing a clicking noise (assume the relay working how is suppose to) then switch off then on it will try to start or will start then stall out seconds later, i have to feather the thorttle to get it running,

also when it fails to start it pops and backfires out the air box. recently I went to start it at on my lunch break to shoot home, wouldn't start then everything went blank as if a flat battery was the calprite, no lights no numbers nothing on the cluster, got the jump pack from work, started and reversed stalled it same drama, got it started once again,

drove it and it stallled while driving, chucked her in 2nd and dumped the clutch to roll start it was very sketchy on the way home.

got home let it run for 5 minutes to 10 minutes, then missus turned it off, same drama woulnd't start, no lights etc etc dead. removed the batttery and then put it back in, no drama lights etc etc but failed to start, clicking and carrying on, no lights or info on odometer etc, played with the terminals and started it up, drove it and it was very doggy the revs sat between 1000 and 0

I removed the what i beleive is the idles postition sensor. sprayed it with silicone spray and when you try and start the car there is no click click situation but it does have trouble starting cranks and cranks no go. then it starts but when you drive and go down gears it goes down to 0 and almost stalls the car then pops up to 1000 again. and also there is all accelration) after 3thou rpm it is fine but below it is crap.

recently I booked it in to get the rear handbrake adjusted at my friendly machanic and i explained about the problems etc and he used his scan tool couldn't pick up any error codes or any history codes etc, he cleaned the throttle body and reset the isc and adjusteded it to the OE settings,

he concluded that i have a faulty power steering idle switch and that is making the idle wierd i simply unplugged that. it ran fine for a while but it didn't sort out the whole hard to start the car problem but the idle is fine but it is still a C*** to start. Now the car runs smooth and alike, BUT it is still hard as all to start the car, i am thinking it might be the ignition it self or a fuse or relay

I crank and crank and crank and once started i have to feather the throttle and give a rev etc, it is acting like if the imboiliser is on. this has been an ongoing drama for ages. recently i had a a battery alternator issues etc well that is sorted replaced alternator with a new aftermarket one)

So at the moment, the car has stuff all power roughly upto 3grand (my works little suzuki carry on ute thing seems quicker etc) but after 3grand it seems to have the proper omph etc but below .

Also after the car is driven for a long drive from for example my missus took my car for a drive to orange with my sister to go shopping etc and it ran fine to orange and back from orange later on in the day (i assume they drove around orange going to various shops etc stopping and starting) BUT exactly one block from our house the car "" it self lost all power and revs dropped and the car stalled out. she waited 5 to 10 minutes and then drove around the corner to my house.

And then i drove it to the local liquarland and it itself again revs dropped no power and stalled out, waited 3 or so minutes and started and parked (keep motor running seemed like a tiny tiny tiny miss) reversed out and the car stalled yet again so while i waited, started it up and gave it a bootful and took off, drove out to my fathers place about 30kms outta town, set the cruise control to 115km and left it, about 15kms into the trip again the car crapped out, no power revs dropped and then finally stalled out. waited 10 minutes and took off again. around the corner of my fathers joint no power revs dropped and stalled out and it just would not start. for like 10 minutes or so,

SO i explained all this to myfather and he said the coil or coils are rooted getting hot then failing. could this be the culprit for all my ing headaches? or do i have a dodgey injector, or is the anti boil motor safety feature with me.

The car as new air filter, new fuel filter (fitted sunday) new spark plugs.

Cheers Geoff

Froudey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
justa6
justa6

not sure, but if it was the coil it would alway's turn over wouldn't it?
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
Froudey
Banned

long story short. car doesn't start takes 5 or more attempts to start, runs really shithouse when it is at operating temp, i changed the fuel filter replaced the spark plugs, had the throttle body cleaned and i think the coil is fine actually as there is no powder on the leads or plugs etc,

any ideas. i have read similair things on the AFF and seems to me that there problems were the fuel pump, i don't know if that is my problem but i don't know
Old 09-02-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
Fordfan4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverxr
not sure, but if it was the coil it would alway's turn over wouldn't it?
Thats correct, even with a dead coilpack the engine would still crank providing the battery had good charge.

Froudey,
How old is the battery?
How often has it being doing this?
How do the cables/cable mounting points running to and from the battery look?
Last time you checked your fuel filter?

All I can suggest is slowly go over eliminating one thing at a time til its fixed.
Check all your sensors, vaccum lines, wiring..

After my cars battery comes out and goes back in the car runs a little rough for about 20mins or so, idle lumpy and sometimes low, sometimes stalls.
Me: What button?
Officer: The button for the clutch!!!
Me: [laughing so hard it hurts]
Fordfan4u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
Froudey
Banned

battery isn't that old around 12 months, it has a hard time starting every morn and when it has been sitting for a few hours, i replaced the battery connections, all cables etc look fine and connected well, i changed my fuel filter on sunday.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:28 PM   #6
Froudey
Banned

Bumpty Bump.
Old 13-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
Froudey
Banned

Another Bumpty Bump, car ran well today cause it was wet and house rainy wheather but didn't start that well.
Old 14-02-2009, 03:20 AM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

because the battery is only a year old is no gaurantee its not faulty, i think i would be first checking earths and battery (easey stuff first ) or get a sparky to check electrical system, how is the charging rate?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
Froudey
Banned

this site is C R A P!!!!!! i can't edit my first post so i can simplifiy it. can only edit the last post how gay. no wonder i prefer fordmods.

SO

My can't won't start right off the bat, it winds over and tries to start, sometimes it pops and backfires out the airbox, i am not running that BBQ gas crap so it is a lpg related drama.

So Far
I have had the car connected to a scantool and no codes or history codes have come up.
had the throttle bodie cleaned.
had the TSP adjusted
replaced alternator
changed the fuel filter and air filter
Cleaned the ISC today

it idles crap and on a hot day or is car has been running for a while the car has no power upto 3000 rpm and after a while car stalls out and i have to wait from 1 to 10 to restart the car only to have it happen later on down the road.

NOW my father says the coil might be degrading on a hot day and recently the mechanic that i know says it could be the ignition module.

thoughts?

Last edited by Froudey; 14-02-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 14-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #10
Froudey
Banned

Bump

hmmm

BUMP!!!
Old 14-02-2009, 11:06 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would`nt stuff around with it, i would run it down to a sparky before going further he should be able to eliminate what your dad said and your mechanic, a mate had something similar to your car it had a blocked catalytic convertor(after replacing the cat and fixing the earth it felt like a tickford he reckones ) bad earth at the ecu due to dodgey lpg fitters,,,,,but you can have a bad earth without those blokes (sparky can check earths too), i could be wrong but i don`t think the scan tool shows every thing, diagnosing stuff is a ------ , but its a process of elimination, don`t take my word for anything its only my opinion, i`m not a mechanics azzhole good luck.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #12
Froudey
Banned

I replaced the ignition module today and no change, next payday looks like the leads are going to get replaced... any advice is advice i am just trying various othere stuff and it looks like i am elimating stuff, when i am stumped of to the local auto elecy
Old 15-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
justa6
justa6

would it be to hard to get another computer, borrow one or something. switch them over and see. sound's way more serious then lead's or coil's. does it miss down low when it does run
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #14
Froudey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverxr
would it be to hard to get another computer, borrow one or something. switch them over and see. sound's way more serious then lead's or coil's. does it miss down low when it does run
hmm it doesn't seem to miss just hesistate
Old 16-02-2009, 12:01 AM   #15
Fordfan4u

While your at it, put a steel cap boot on and sink the boot into the fuel tank. Shake the fuel pump a bit.
Me: What button?
Officer: The button for the clutch!!!
Me: [laughing so hard it hurts]
Fordfan4u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2009, 09:47 PM   #16
Froudey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfan4u
While your at it, put a steel cap boot on and sink the boot into the fuel tank. Shake the fuel pump a bit.
i have been thinking of tapping the top of the fuel tank prior to starting the car on the weekend. but i will be replacing the fuel pump and ignition relays this weekend
Old 21-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #17
Froudey
Banned

hmm i checked all relay's and fuses today attempted to remove the fuel pump but gave up after trying to remove the sikiflex fuel pump cover.
Old 22-02-2009, 12:21 AM   #18
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Its a shame that TCT automtive went out of working on cars and into truck parts. Go and see Bill Buckley at speeds truck parts, take your car, ask him really really nicely and he will tell you what is wrong with it.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #19
Froudey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
Its a shame that TCT automtive went out of working on cars and into truck parts. Go and see Bill Buckley at speeds truck parts, take your car, ask him really really nicely and he will tell you what is wrong with it.
yeah i know bill (sorta well i know of him) will do,