Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Peak hour Idiot on the Monash M1

Earlier this week on the Monash M1 near the Police Rd turnoff I witnessed the most dangerous driving I have ever seen on the road. I think it was a late model silver Barina driving erratically swerving in and out of lanes and high beaming constantly. Up in the distance I could see the mayhem with lines of brakelights and this silver dart swerving in and out. Time was about 7.45am heading outbound from the city on Wednesday. I am told by others who drive regularly on the M1 of similar incidents of possibly the same vehicle?
cheers
Bill.

Old 22-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You always get idiotic and incodsiderate drivers in the peak hours on the monash.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A while back retuning from Ford to Hallam on the Monash there was an idiot that was in a hurry, i was in the centre lane near Blackburn Rd and noticed this SAAB in the left coming up fast in my mirror. He then out of stupidity decided to overtake a car in the left lane using the emergency lane, he would have been doing over 100 in an 80 zone. But he didnt see the Commodore wagon further up changing a flat tyre. If he overtook a second or two later he would have killed people but he got back in the left lane just in time. It put the wind up me to see what could have been.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
GT-E

You need to understand that it could have been someone rushing their kid to hospital or someone who is trying to get away from someone with a gun.
Normal people do not drive like that unless there is something seriously wrong.
I am not condoning this type of driving, but with all the attraction and danger it is attracting, you would hope it was a life or death emergency. I drove "quickly" to assist my father who was having a stroke alone at home as I knew he could not let the ambulance into his house as he had collapsed on the floor.
I am sure people thought I was driving like an iddiot as I blew past them.
Old 22-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapXR6T
it could have been someone rushing their kid to hospital or someone who is trying to get away from someone with a gun.
I was going to say the same thing...but there are genuinly stupid people behind the wheel.

Of all the things I have trouble understanding is why people wanna race off to work. If anything you'd think they'd wanna take their time and then sprint home.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Hemicuda
IH8TOG

Quote:
You need to understand that it could have been someone rushing their kid to hospital or someone who is trying to get away from someone with a gun.
I am not condoning this type of driving, but with all the attraction and danger it is attracting, you would hope it was a life or death emergency. I drove "quickly" to assist my father who was having a stroke alone at home as I knew he could not let the ambulance into his house as he had collapsed on the floor.

Exactly what i was thinking.
Hemicuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
I see where you are coming from. However, looking at it the other way, when you drive dangerously, the chances of something going seriously wrong increases. So in rushing someone to the hospital they might cause an accident which could take themselves out and others. Now you're in a situation where the person that was being rushed to the hospital has been delayed longer and a few more people need medical support. Is that an acceptable situation?

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In my case he was in no hurry to get to a hospital as he was alone and was not being chased. If only i could have gotten his plate to report him. There arent too many Hospitals on the Monash apart from the Valley Private at the end of Police rd which would have been the one to go to if he needed one. There is NO excuse for endangering other peoples lives full stop.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
That is no excuse to drive dangerously, break road rules and put themselves or some other innocent peoples lives in danger.

Drivers do not have the experience and skill to drive like that and would most likely put their "patient' also in greater danger by having an accident and not even getting there. After all, you may only save a minute or two driving like an idiot.

How many times has it been advised for people in that situation to call an ambulance? Thats why we have them.

And as for your father, why didnt he or you call the ambo? They have ways of getting in, in an emergency.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #10
3vXT

Quote:
I'm sorry about your dad, thats a nasty situation to be in and i'd probably have done something similar. That said though, its pretty stupid to write off that kind of driving behaviour on 'maybe he was being chased' or 'maybe he needed to get to a hospital'. Doing 5 or 10 k's over on the highway is one thing, but swerving in and out of traffic and being a retard is something else all together.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This driver wasn't a retard, they were a Kamikazi. How there wasn't a pileup I don't know. This was waaay beyond stupid driving but I guess you had to be there to comprehend it. Darting in and out across 3 lanes doing 120+ in an 80 zone in peak hour? Excuses? Nope.
Old 22-02-2009, 09:40 PM   #12
GT-E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
That is no excuse to drive dangerously, break road rules and put themselves or some other innocent peoples lives in danger.

Drivers do not have the experience and skill to drive like that and would most likely put their "patient' also in greater danger by having an accident and not even getting there. After all, you may only save a minute or two driving like an idiot.

How many times has it been advised for people in that situation to call an ambulance? Thats why we have them.

And as for your father, why didnt he or you call the ambo? They have ways of getting in, in an emergency.
We had called the ambo's. but he was in a secure house alone and I lived 5mins away, so I could give access to the Ambos, who arrived 5seconds after me.
I am not making excuses, I am mearly pointing out that some "mainiacs" on the road may be driving like that because of an emergency, rightly or wrongly. Clarity in deciding to drive or call the ambo, is not always possible when you are making life or death decisions.
Old 22-02-2009, 09:53 PM   #13
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

The way I see it, is that if he was in a hurry that someone he knew was seriously injured, he should not have used the Monash at Peak.
Everyone who drives in on the Monash, from the Outer East should know about it's 80k's and it's roadworks, plus the traffic to go along with it.
I think you'd be silly to use the Monash at peak "to rush".

I would use alternate ways.

But yes, there are idjits that just want to get that 1 car ahead. Er in this guys case, 100 cars.
Maybe he learnt off some of those European Car races on youtube, that some guys do.
Race each other on a Freeway (traffic moves faster than the Monash) and near on take out so many vehicles. Including themselves. Finding gaps where there isn't a gap.
Oh my.

Only one way this idjit will stop. Let him be in his predicament, wrapped around a tree.
He'll learn the hard way.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 01:32 AM   #14
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Of course there are circumstances where erratic driving may be necessary, such as in life/death situations, but I find alot of the time that people are just idiots and have no respect for others on the roads. For example, the other day I'm driving through a 60 zone and this people mover goes swerving through traffic cutting people off etc at atleast 100km/h.. very dangerous. I thought to myself that it might be an emergency, until I caught up to him at the lights to find it was some fool showing off his fully sick Kia Carnival equipped with hydraulics and 22's. I really didn't know what was worse- the fact that he put people's lives in danger or the fact that he put hydraulics in his Kia minivan. Both are unforgivable.

But regardless of what others say, if you are in a serious emergency and you are a confident driver, I see nothing wrong with exceeding the speed limit (within reason) to save a life.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 01:45 AM   #15
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
This driver wasn't a retard, they were a Kamikazi. How there wasn't a pileup I don't know. This was waaay beyond stupid driving but I guess you had to be there to comprehend it. Darting in and out across 3 lanes doing 120+ in an 80 zone in peak hour? Excuses? Nope.
Sure, but is also a symptomatic outcome of poor lane discipline in general, so bad - its almost 'American'.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 03:04 AM   #16
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia

Mate got burnt in an explosion was going into shock, we told them this they said they'd send an ambo straight away. They just apologised.

30 minutes.

The hospital was a 10 minute NON SPEEDING car drive.
Then they tell us if it wasn't raining he could've easily went into a life threatening situation.

I don't condone that driving but you need to understand everything isn't like what they teach you in school.

Heard many stories like it.

If someone I knew was in a life threatening situation I would now personally drive them myself. Or get the ambo sent and meet up if possible
Old 23-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #17
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Half the people here have said there is no excuse driving like a maniac in a life threatening situation but in reality I would love to see anyone that sticks to the rules in an actual life threatening situation. Adrenilan usually overtakes and normal decision making starts to fly out the window
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #18
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
Half the people here have said there is no excuse driving like a maniac in a life threatening situation but in reality I would love to see anyone that sticks to the rules in an actual life threatening situation. Adrenilan usually overtakes and normal decision making starts to fly out the window
And that is where danger lies.

The driver has too many emotions and thoughts going on through his mind to have proper judgement and concentration required for driving, especially so if they are rushing a relation to hospital.

I know, many years ago I was driving my mother to the hospital that the ambulance was heading to, with my father who had a heart attack. Had a minor fender bender at an intersection that even though it wasn't my fault, I normally would have easily avoided it.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 11:15 PM   #19
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes true and this is what I'm saying I think it would be extremely difficult to drive within everyday boundaries, ofcourse driving during a life threatening situation would not be the best way to go since but sometimes it's the only way
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #20
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanrz
Maybe he learnt off some of those European Car races on youtube, that some guys do.
Race each other on a Freeway (traffic moves faster than the Monash) and near on take out so many vehicles. Including themselves. Finding gaps where there isn't a gap.
Oh my.
Or worse, those "crazy" hi-way drifting Arabs on youtube!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanrz
way this idjit will stop. Let him be in his predicament, wrapped around a tree.
He'll learn the hard way.
You are right, it does happen. Isn't there a current thread that's upset a few here on this already?
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post