Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default new cats for au xr8

Im eyeing off a couple of magnaflow cats on ebay... What size should i get? My mate also has an au 5 litre and is interested. He has stock exhaust, i have a 3 inch lukey..... Can we both get the same size cats? And wat size do u guys recommend?

Worth buying off ebay u reckon?

Cheers guys

redauxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redauxr8
Im eyeing off a couple of magnaflow cats on ebay... What size should i get? My mate also has an au 5 litre and is interested. He has stock exhaust, i have a 3 inch lukey..... Can we both get the same size cats? And wat size do u guys recommend?

Worth buying off ebay u reckon?

Cheers guys
Personally I wouldn't (and won't next time) go past the 100cpsi Ballistic Cats from Sureflo. They have a forum here as they are site sponsors and they are really well priced.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My bro has a 3 inch zaust and headers and i have a stock zaust... we both have au xr8's Anyway, can we both get the same size cats? Can i get a 3 inch cat for my stock zaust? im upgrading my zaust a bit later to 3 inch.... can i re use the cats?
Old 23-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
shazaam

Quote:
My bro has a 3 inch zaust and headers and i have a stock zaust... we both have au xr8's Anyway, can we both get the same size cats? Can i get a 3 inch cat for my stock zaust? im upgrading my zaust a bit later to 3 inch.... can i re use the cats?

Not to get too off topic, but what does your bro think of the 3 inch exhaust? Is it a 3 inch single system? I've been contemplating one but thought maybe a single system on an 8 would be restrictive.
shazaam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The single 3 inch on his car sounds awesome, apparently hes been told that 3 inch is to big... But he loves it, and compared to my stock xr8, (we have EXACTLY the same cars) it goes alot better. It has more "go" than my car throughout the rev range so even though people say u lose low down power with 3 inch, they are usually just comparing it to a twin 2 /12.... Im definatly getting 3 inch single... Lukey Growler!

He also has lukey headers and custom CAI... But hes giving me the lukey headers cos hes getting pacmakers

Cheers mate hope info was helpful
Old 23-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
AUbigfoot
Ford beginner

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If you have the money to spend on a high flow cat and are pushing some power, its not a bad idea. From what I've read, sureflo seem popular (for a reason maybe). If they are a site sponsor, I would say it would be good to go through here rather than bother with ebay. Support those who support us!

Most of the time, a 3" isn't needed for most daily runners but 3" comes in handy for boost etc.. It may be different for an XR, but in my experiences it wasn't required and as a result I run a 2.5" single lukey and it sounds the goods.

**Bare in mind, I'm no car expert, only what I have learnt from recently coming into the car scene.**
AUbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
Cooper69S

Quote:
keep in mind that a 3" exhaust on a v8 will not need 3" cat converters. at most you'd get 2.5", and then you'd probably need to get a custom y piece made up to join the twin 2.5 into the 3".

you can usually also get the extractors modified to be close to 2.5" at the outlet so you get no restrictions all the way through.

Theoretically, a 2.5" single exhaust is enough for a stock 5L, but I used a 3" and the sound was great (used two mufflers, both straight through, so nice and quiet at idle or cruise but great note when it opens up - you can hear it in the video here). Also I picked up about 10-15rwkw right through the rev range going from 2.5" to 3". if you plan any major mods for the engine later, a 3" might be needed. Twin 2.5" is good too. different sound to a single system.
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post