Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-05-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Default Fusion Hybrid Averages 81.5 Mpg, Sets World Record

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=30289

FUSION HYBRID AVERAGES 81.5 MPG, SETS WORLD RECORD WITH 1,445 MILES ON SINGLE TANK OF GAS

The 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid 1,000 Mile Challenge Car

-Drivers trained in mileage-maximizing techniques achieve 1,445 miles on a single tank of gas in a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid – averaging 81.5 mpg in Washington, D.C. – and set world record for gasoline-powered, midsize sedan

-The Fusion Hybrid 1,000-Mile Challenge proves that fuel-efficient driving techniques can nearly double a vehicle’s EPA-rated fuel economy

-The demonstration of the Fusion Hybrid’s ultra high-mileage potential also raised more than $8,000 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation

WASHINGTON, April 28, 2009 – Drivers trained in mileage-maximizing techniques such as smooth acceleration and coasting to red lights were able to get an extraordinary 1,445.7 miles out of a single tank of gas during a fund-raising effort in Washington, D.C. that concluded today. They did it by averaging 81.5 miles per gallon in an off-the-showroom floor, non-modified 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, the most fuel-efficient midsize car in North America – nearly doubling its U.S. certified mileage.

The Fusion Hybrid 1,000-Mile Challenge started at 8:15 a.m. EDT on Saturday, April 25, from Mount Vernon, Va., and ended this morning at 5:37 a.m. on George Washington Parkway in Washington, D.C. After more than 69 continuous hours of driving, the Fusion Hybrid finally depleted its tank and came to a stop with an odometer reading of 1,445.7 miles – setting a world record for gasoline-powered, midsize sedan.

The challenge team, which included NASCAR star Carl Edwards, high mileage trailblazer Wayne Gerdes and several Ford Motor Company engineers, raised more than $8,000 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) by exceeding the goal of 1,000 miles on a single tank of gas. The Fusion Hybrid’s official estimated range is approximately 700 miles per tank.

“Not only does this demonstrate the Fusion Hybrid’s fuel efficiency, it also shows that driving technique is one of the keys to maximizing its potential,” said Nancy Gioia, director, Ford Sustainable Mobility Technologies and Hybrid Vehicle Programs. “The fact that we were able raise much needed funds for JDRF while raising the bar on fuel efficient driving performance made the effort doubly worthwhile.”

Maximizing mileage
A team of seven drivers prepared for the challenge by learning a few mileage-maximizing techniques, most of which can be used in any vehicle to improve fuel economy, but are especially useful in the Fusion Hybrid where the driver can take advantage of pure electric energy at speeds below 47 mph.

CleanMPG.com founder Wayne Gerdes, an engineer from Illinois who coined the term “hypermiling” to describe the mileage-maximizing techniques, provided the pointers. They include:

Slowing down and maintaining even throttle pressure;

Gradually accelerating and smoothly braking;

Maintaining a safe distance between vehicles and anticipating traffic conditions;

Coasting up to red lights and stop signs to avoid fuel waste and brake wear;

Minimize use of heater and air conditioning to reduce the load on the engine;

Close windows at high speeds to reduce aerodynamic drag;

Applying the “Pulse and Glide” technique while maintaining the flow of traffic;

Minimize excessive engine workload by using the vehicle’s kinetic forward motion to climb hills, and use downhill momentum to build speed; and

Avoiding bumps and potholes that can reduce momentum.

“You become very aware of your driving because you’re constantly looking for opportunities to maximize mileage, and a more aware driver is a safer driver, too,” said Gil Portalatin, Ford hybrid applications manager.

In addition, it is important for Fusion Hybrid drivers to manage the battery system’s state of charge through the use of regenerative braking and coasting, and balancing the use of the electric motor and gas engine in city driving to avoid wasting fuel.

Fusion Hybrid drivers also can stay more connected to the hybrid driving experience with Ford’s SmartGaugeTM with EcoGuide, a unique instrument cluster that helps coach drivers on how to optimize performance of their hybrid.

The Challenge
The Fusion Hybrid 1,000-Mile Challenge team took turns driving several routes in and around the national capital over the course of approximately three days and nights. The route involved elevation changes, and ranged from the relatively open George Washington Parkway to a 3-mile stretch in the heart of the city that is clogged with roughly 30 traffic signals.

“The Fusion Hybrid works brilliantly,” Gerdes said. “When you don’t need acceleration power while driving around town, the gas engine shuts down seamlessly. There’s not another hybrid drivetrain in the world that does that as effectively. The Fusion engineering team really knocked it out of the park.”

Ford NASCAR star Carl Edwards took time away from the high speed world of professional car racing to contribute to the Fusion Hybrid team’s success in D.C.

“It was exciting to be an active part in this challenge. The fact that it will help spread the word about the Fusion Hybrid’s great mileage, and help out a great charity, makes it even more special,” said Edwards, whose ‘99’ team has used fuel-saving techniques to win races. “There’s no question that the Fusion Hybrid will help consumers save fuel when they drive it. Having driven the car, I feel strongly about how great it is – so strong that I’ve purchased one myself.”

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 02:05 AM   #2
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

holy crap batman... 2,300km per tank! Now that is good economy... Better than my measely 350-400k with 90 litres of petrol. Puts things in perspective hey...
futura97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

ON its 65 litre tank (which incidentally costs $35.75 to fill at current prices of $55c/L) that means it averaged 2.82L/100km for an incredible 1.55 cents / km.

Insane. That's better than a Fiesta Econetic!!!
Old 02-05-2009, 02:32 AM   #4
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

55c/l?! Where do you get your petrol from? might need to move to sydney as here in perth we are paying $1.20.
futura97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 03:39 AM   #5
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

i believe he is referring to in the USA?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

More great news for Ford. Things are looking up.

We need this car here though. What are the plans for bringing it here?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Looks a darn sight better than a Prius as well
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just out of interest, I have a new hyundai Elantra 2.0 manual and drove a bit like this for a change, low rev accelleration, not accellerating up hills, just letting the car slow down a bit till the top, then rolling to speed up over the other side. I was amazed. Using 98 octane fuel too. And the big thing was I was sitting on 120km/h the whole time (apart from the 60km of 110 zone average speed cameras on the hume between seymour and the ring road and some road works in NSW), slowing down to at the least 105 up hills. My speed by GPS. I drove from Canberra city, to Geelong 730km on 42 litres! Wasnt even down to the quarter mark! Could have done near 1000km on the tank.I could only imagine if I did 100km/h instead of 120 all the time! Anyway, usually I am near empty (say 55 litres used) by the time I reach geelong from Canberra, same speeds, just not being so careful.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
The Monty
Just slidin'

Gosh, we desperately need this thing over here. Whats the expected price tag on one in the US?
Old 02-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

81.5MPG - that's an incredible 2.9Litres/100km! :

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
HSE2

Oh No

Shoot me now
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #12
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Well done Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Oh No

Shoot me now
Old 02-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Gosh, we desperately need this thing over here. Whats the expected price tag on one in the US?

$27,100 US.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post