Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #31
Erich

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Whats the point? Just means less airflow and a swiss cheese airbox.

The hole in the front of the airbox works (makes a nice sound too) but I wouldnt try it on a non-XR model. You just dont have as much airflow coming into that area because of the different headlight design.
But with the box wanting more air, surely it would be sucking it in from the path of least resistance (holes)? Even though the air is not so easily rammed behind the headlights, extra holes has got to be better than no extra holes
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #32
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich
But with the box wanting more air, surely it would be sucking it in from the path of least resistance (holes)? Even though the air is not so easily rammed behind the headlights, extra holes has got to be better than no extra holes
exactly, i was just saying what i was thinking and i was thinking heaps of little holes, 1 big hole is gonna be way better.
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #33
Erich

I can understand that ramming in air is better, but if its lacking up front (smaller snorkel), it will suck in front the lower part of the box like there is no tomorrow im sure

Things to remember though - you "cant" compress the air like this so you will be restricted by the pipe size from the box to the Throttle Body and the Throttle body size itself. Even worse - like me soon - if you have gas, that is how you will be restricted - by the size of the mixer ring so going a pipe that's 125% larger than the mixer is a waste
Old 03-05-2009, 01:22 AM   #34
Erich

I wonder if you can get a bit of a bigger gas mixer ring (as long as you make the induction bigger) - that would help?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #35
AUbigfoot
Ford beginner

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

There would have to be something out there. It wouldn't make sense to have an LPG system and be limited by the air intake. Even playing field!
AUbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #36
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you get a bigger mixer it is harder to adjust idle and low rpm settings. the reason being that, the mixer needs vacuum reference, the less resistance the air passing over the mixer, the less vacuum created. that's why they invented svi, for one, to get rid of the restriction. if you have a look in the lpg section, there are people trying to sort something out for a variable venturi mixer, this basically means, the middle can move to let more air through under high rpm, to reduce lean conditions as standard mixers run out of flow.

so, to summarise that, no, you can't have a bigger mixer. if you don't want a restriction, you better get svi or lpi. if you want to keep your mixer because it is cheap to fit, then don't expect to get the same gains as people only running petrol. just remember, lpg is to save money, not make your car go faster at the same time.

if you really want more performance, forced induction is the way to go
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #37
Erich

good point.

I think I may just add my K&N Panel filter and mod the box a little as per the above drawing
Old 05-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #38
david_100
Tickford Man

Thanks alot lads, you have been very helpful and this is a great help to me. I went to autobahn the other day n the guy behind the counter told me that this brand called 'DRIFT' produce more power in air filters compared to k&n filters,

Which filter do you think I should go for and is this info true?
david_100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #39
AUbigfoot
Ford beginner

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have always heard K & N are reliable and worthy of the coin. Never really looked into much else, trust what is trusted I guess!
AUbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #40
david_100
Tickford Man

Yeh i generally go with whats trusted but the guy did say it won't last aslong as the k&n. But the DRIFT product must good because I saw about 3 guys leaving with one each in their hands and they had high performance cars..
Old 05-05-2009, 10:17 PM   #41
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_100
Yeh i generally go with whats trusted but the guy did say it won't last aslong as the k&n. But the DRIFT product must good because I saw about 3 guys leaving with one each in their hands and they had high performance cars..
i got a drift pod in my car atm been in there for 3 years, still doesn't even look dirty!!
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 11:57 PM   #42
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_100
They may let more air in, but they may not filter as well as a K&N - it's all a balance. Would you trust a product that has countless hours of R&D, is guaranteed for a million km and only needs cleaning every 50,000 km (ie the K&N), or a cheap chinese knock-off with a funky name (Drift).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 12:18 AM   #43
Black XR
Narooma blue XR8 ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
They may let more air in, but they may not filter as well as a K&N - it's all a balance. Would you trust a product that has countless hours of R&D, is guaranteed for a million km and only needs cleaning every 50,000 km (ie the K&N), or a cheap chinese knock-off with a funky name (Drift).
Well Said JC
Black XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #44
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

The other day I made a 40 x 40 square cutout at the front of the airbox to see if would make any difference and was quite disappointed.

well today I took the plunge and widened the cut to a 100 wide by 75 high piece out of the front of the airbox as Monty had suggested.....

all I can say is WOW!

The low-down power has improved greatly and the sound is so much deeper. And to think it only cost me almost cutting my fingers off with a jigsaw

very impressive gain for quite little
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #45
david_100
Tickford Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
The other day I made a 40 x 40 square cutout at the front of the airbox to see if would make any difference and was quite disappointed.

well today I took the plunge and widened the cut to a 100 wide by 75 high piece out of the front of the airbox as Monty had suggested.....

all I can say is WOW!

The low-down power has improved greatly and the sound is so much deeper. And to think it only cost me almost cutting my fingers off with a jigsaw

very impressive gain for quite little

Lol, that sounds good.. I'm probably going to give this a go on saturday! What car did you do the 100 x 75 cut out too?
Old 07-05-2009, 12:30 AM   #46
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

AU Series 1 Fairmont Ghia with the VCT motor.

I'll post some pics tomorrow, looks rather dodgy as I didnt have anything to secure the airbox with as I was cutting it.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:33 AM   #47
david_100
Tickford Man

ah well, doesn't matter.. as long as you got the job done and it was effect that's the main thing!
Old 07-05-2009, 01:39 AM   #48
5L
[ 5L ]

you will find a greater difference david, more air is let in through the xr lights than the normal lights
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #49
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

As promised here are the pics of the airbox mod

Outside view: God it was a pain to cut through those lower supporting bits

Inside view:

Hope this helps
Old 07-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #50
Erich

GOOD WORK

I was looking at doing it from the fender side to ensure warm air wont get to it. You obviously find that there is enough airflow being a non xr light set up?
Old 07-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #51
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

surprisingly enough yes, I was also concerned about warm air but so far the power gain seems to be fairly consistent. the real test will be summer :
Old 07-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #52
Erich

ty - I will then look at doing the same
Old 07-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #53
david_100
Tickford Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXR8220
you will find a greater difference david, more air is let in through the xr lights than the normal lights
Yeh thats what I was thinking as well! cant wait to do it
Old 09-05-2009, 12:06 AM   #54
david_100
Tickford Man

Well finally got all my intake done! I bought the k&n panel filter today and also cut the box out on the front..
The whole note of the engine/exhaust changed and performance is much better.. much deeper note now!

Here's some pics of the cut out I did:

Old 09-05-2009, 12:25 AM   #55
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

you know how some race cars have some type of pipe or tubing to the brakes to allow cold air to help cool down..(i hope that made sence) can you add something like that to vent cold air to the box from the front somehow?..so heat isn't the only air sucked in??
motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #56
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

well done grandpa spec au, i'll have to drop round in the next week or two to check it out.
Old 14-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #57
5 FTR 5
Made the 300 :0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycles4eva
you know how some race cars have some type of pipe or tubing to the brakes to allow cold air to help cool down..(i hope that made sence) can you add something like that to vent cold air to the box from the front somehow?..so heat isn't the only air sucked in??
You Can I have a old battery vent opening and a tube running from the front fake brake duct opening to the underneath of the air box I cut a 70mm hole in the guard and put the pipe into that ,works well.
Old 17-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #58
crf529

No-one should be to concerned or take any company too seriously when they start flogging their 'RAM' air intakes. To make any use of ram air, it needs to be compressed, which you'll find just about impossible below 200-250km/h. The performance gains that come from any of these intake mods is simply increased volume of airflow.
crf529 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post