Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Yellow sticker for 1 bald tyre....

I got a defect notice for 1 bald tyre on the weekend.... Tried to get me for 2 bald tyres but one isnt even bald, its almost brand new.....

Anyway, is there a certain amount of stuff u have to have "illegal" on ur car to get a yellow stick? I live in WA and heard that u have to have 3 things wrong to get it...... I dont think 1 bald tyre is enough to put u over the pits..... Its ridiculous....

Old 25-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redauxr8
I got a defect notice for 1 bald tyre on the weekend.... Tried to get me for 2 bald tyres but one isnt even bald, its almost brand new.....

Anyway, is there a certain amount of stuff u have to have "illegal" on ur car to get a yellow stick? I live in WA and heard that u have to have 3 things wrong to get it...... I dont think 1 bald tyre is enough to put u over the pits..... Its ridiculous....
If one item is of a serious nature, such as a bald tyre, then that is enough for you to be put off the road.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 25-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

?? a bald tyre is plenty enough reason to defect you.

The officer just needs to suspect your car is unroadworthy to defect you, then its up to you to prove it is roadworthy via a qualified check.

Old 25-05-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

One bald tyre is enough to get a yellow. I don't know how bald yours is but if it gets a little damage that a legal tyre can handle and yours can't then you could get a blow out which is unsafe for you and others.

I've never heard of the 3 things wrong rule. Doesn't make sense to me. If its bad enough to warrant the car being unsafe its not fair on other road users to wait until another 2 things are unsafe before taking it off the road. Can you see my point? I don't want to get into symantics about what things as I'm not a cop or car inspector but you can probably see the point.

I'm more curious to know is how the policeman thought a new tyre was bald?
Old 25-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Police are not qualified roadworthy inspectors, all they need to do is "suspect" your vehicle is unroadworthy to defect you, there are obvious "defectable" issues that can be easily detected by an untrained officer such as bald tyres, smashed windscreen, large animals in the grille etc..., then there are intangible "defectable" issues such as attitude etc.....

Old 25-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

*sigh* The daily "i got caught doing something illegal, how do i get out of it" Thread...

Get new tires, keep your car roadworthy and get over it.
Old 25-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:

Must be one of them days...?

Ridiculous that a bald tyre is enough for a defect...? I'd give you a pass if one of your tail lights was out, but we're talking about the only thing that makes contact with the road. What if it blew out travelling at speed or rain falls that afternoon? How long before you planned to have it replaced?
Old 25-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #8
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
then there are intangible "defectable" issues such as attitude etc.....
Which are the ones that give police a bad name.
Old 25-05-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8
Which are the ones that give police a bad name.
WHY??? they get a bad name because they have to deal with some arrogant smart mouth upstart who fails the attitude test and drives a car with questionable roadworthiness??

Old 25-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
*sigh* The daily "i got caught doing something illegal, how do i get out of it" Thread...

I just put my car through the pits, i didn't even change the tyres as one is at 70% tread (the "bald" one) and the other is 90%..... Anyway it passed, they didnt find anythin wrong, even the "bald" tyres were fine.....

I didn't get caught doin anythin illegal, just cops doing a money run, targettin young drivers with V8's..... I dont care that they target us as much, its just ridiculous decisions like this that tick me off... Im on a traineeship earnin 680 bucks a fortnight ATM and they come and give me a defect notice, i just paid my loan repayment of 520 bucks, that is not fair at all!
Old 25-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Thats a poor call on the cops behalf saying a 70% tyre is bald. Maybe he was on a "money run" Maybe he doesn't like Au XR8s. Maybe a another 100 different reasons but not good enough.

Don't listen to anyone judging you here only you and the cop know what happened.
Old 25-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats a poor call on the cops behalf saying a 70% tyre is bald. Maybe he was on a "money run" Maybe he doesn't like Au XR8s. Maybe a another 100 different reasons but not good enough.

Don't listen to anyone judging you here only you and the cop know what happened.
Dont listen to anyone passing judgment ok? Yet its ok for you to pass judgement on the cop??
Yes only he and the cop know what happened...

Old 25-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #13
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

I can pass judgement on someone who said it was bald and then factually it has 70% tread left as per pit inspection.

I was sticking up for the forum member not the cop who messed him around.

Lets all dismount OK?
Old 26-05-2009, 01:41 AM   #14
xy500
Constant annoyance

hey man, it sounds like you probably have an attitude, as you'll find most police in WA only do yellows for dudes with bad attitudes these days. I've seen guys get away with driving bombs, because they were respectful when pulled over. But if you're being smart with them, they can yellow sticker a car straight off the show room floor if they want to.
i'm doing my best not to give them a reason to yellow me... cos i do have bald tyres
Old 26-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #15
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6

...+1

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 26-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #16
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As much of a pain as this is, the police had two things to consider.

Your safety, and the safety of others.

Yes, it's a pain in the backside and yes, it's time that you'd rather spend elsewhere but at least the police are looking out for cars that should be off the road, even if yours wasn't in that category.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 26-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #17
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Sorry to say a bald tyre is enough to warrant a defect notice. Depends on the cop. When I was younger they just asked me to get new tyres. I did get a defect once, the cop went over my car and said it was immaculate, then he asked me to get out and of course I had to open the door from the outside. He appologised to me and explained exactly why he now had to defect my car. But he did right down 2 other things to make a list. It was fix door, de grease motor lol and something about tyre pressure. He just asked me to get those 3 things done and all would be sweet. The guy inspecting a kelmscott had other ideas. He decided my XE was too old and he put things on like hole in seat fabric, rear window jet didn't work, indicators did not self cancel, there was no rust in the sub frame so he came up and punched a hole in my rear panel just under the window and said get it fixed, my tinting was too dark. Hopefully you don't get some of an inspector. If you get some inspector you can try what I did. I got most of the stuff fixed then "lost" the notice, I paid for a whole new inspection in my local town 400km from perth, never did replace that tint lol.
Old 26-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #18
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

you answered your own question when you said bald, Bald = unroadworthy why do you think you need more things wrong ???????????????????????????????????

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
Old 26-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #19
Wally
XP Coupe

The old WA yellow sticker....the policeman's best friend as a teaching aid for larrikin drivers.

I wonder if they will be phased out along with the rego stickers?
Old 26-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #20
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
hey man, it sounds like you probably have an attitude, as you'll find most police in WA only do yellows for dudes with bad attitudes these days. I've seen guys get away with driving bombs, because they were respectful when pulled over. But if you're being smart with them, they can yellow sticker a car straight off the show room floor if they want to.
i'm doing my best not to give them a reason to yellow me... cos i do have bald tyres
I find that extremely offensive mate, u don't know a thing about me, all i did was say yes sir, no sir, yes sir, no sir, sorry sir, really sir? And u and all these other people who been posting should read wat i said for god sake!

I put it through the inspection WITH the "bald" tyres and it passed! Wats the point of posting in something if u dont read previous posts!

My point is that my tyres WERE NOT BALD! Only bald to the cops! Not to the Q.U.A.L.I.F.I.E.D...... R.D.A Inspectors!
Old 26-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
O
I've never heard of the 3 things wrong rule. Doesn't make sense to me. If its bad enough to warrant the car being unsafe its not fair on other road users to wait until another 2 things are unsafe before taking it off the road. Can you see my point? I don't want to get into symantics about what things as I'm not a cop or car inspector but you can probably see the point.
Its meant to be 3 minor things can defect your car.

Bald tyres is a major so its yellow sticker time.

Anyway, to the OP just replace the tyre and problem is dealt with.
Old 26-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #22
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Its meant to be 3 minor things can defect your car.

Bald tyres is a major so its yellow sticker time.

Anyway, to the OP just replace the tyre and problem is dealt with.
Passed the pits with the "bald tyre" on the car, cops got there money, thats life man, can't do anythin about it.... Dunno why everyone keeps telling me its my fault, ill post some pics of the "bald tyres" for u abolutely ignorant people who havent read my previous friggin posts....
Old 26-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #23
TickedEFSix

*Sigh* to all the people who haven't read the whole thread properly.

His car was found not defective.
Old 26-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #24
Wally
XP Coupe

LOL... somehow I think they knew that already.
Old 26-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #25
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

we were once defected while travelling at the speed limit in the middle of nowhere, for three things that we subsequently had tested. We were told by the mechanic/vicroads that there was nothing at all wrong. Complete waste of time & money for us. Unfortunately we live in an area with very few modified cars, so anyone who owns one is considered a hoon. Been pulled over a heap of times since moving here.

Joke of it is i used to live in a part of melbourne that had a huge modification culture and we were never pulled over once.

The point is i make a real effort to modify my cars in a LEGAL way, so it's insulting to be told my car is unroadworthy when i know it's not. Not a lot you can do about it though.

There are good and bad in every profession, it's luck of the draw.
Old 26-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #26
ch33z1l
Dawn

Weren't cops issuing defects at Summernats for empty washer bottles?
Old 26-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #27
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

anyway this thread is pretty much done
Closed Thread