Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-02-2007, 09:58 PM   #31
braddo

me and my son done the v8 race at calder last year was a blast , but goes very quicly , also when i got back into the wifes ef ghia i thought it was not running very well!! very slow after 8 laps of calder son wants ta go again, its worth the rush im 48 and doin it again soon
braddo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 12:23 AM   #32
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selwonk
have the "v8 supercars" got a sequential gearbox or just conventional h pattern? also how much rpm is needed to get it going out of the box as real v8 supercars your mr average would stall 10 times before they got used to the clutch.just curious to see how realistic they are!!!
the real V8 supersars have a sequential box, these cars run standard road car drive train, see my post above.

320rwkw????? not a chance the cars are hi milage standard engines with the exhaust cut off and a tune. 280 - 300 at the flywheel if you get a healthy one!

getting them off the line? as easy as your standard SS or XR8 cus thats what they are!!
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 01:40 AM   #33
MRJUCY
Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
the real V8 supersars have a sequential box, these cars run standard road car drive train, see my post above.
The real V8 Supercars hollinger box runs a H pattern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Supercars Operations Manual
9.4.9 all gears being selected by the driver exclusively via a non-sequential mechanical linkage which permits “H” pattern gear change mechanisms only;

The V8 Experience had a big crash in QLD a couple of days ago.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...51-911,00.html

http://www.qt.com.au/pics/newb.jpg
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 08:11 AM   #34
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

^^^yeah I saw that yesterday morning, some nasty injuries and I have no idea how you would do that. I dont know all the facts but I reckon you would have to be acting up to get into that much trouble.

The instructor usually keeps things under control.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 11:24 AM   #35
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This on the v8 Supercars site.

V8 Supercars Australia wishes to place on record that a vehicle involved in an incident at Queensland Raceway yesterday was incorrectly described by several media outlets as a V8 Supercar.

The purpose built ‘ride’ car operated out of Queensland Raceway has very little in common with a V8 Supercar and has never been registered as a V8 Supercar.

The only similarity is that the car involved in the accident had a V8 engine, as do many makes of vehicle.

V8 Supercars Australia extends it’s wishes to those involved in the accident and their respective families.

As usual the media making it out to be something it is not. Or they just have NO idea. Or both.
Old 13-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #36
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
The real V8 Supercars hollinger box runs a H pattern.
Thats correct mrjucy, my mistake. Sorry, I think I got a bit towie about all this talk of modified road cars being passed off as V8 Supercars..........
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #37
Stepwah
Starter Motor

Hi all,
Just did a V8 race experience 5 laps at eastern creek today. Had an absolute blast and highly recommend anybody to have a go.

Just 1 complaint, thought it would be great to get the in car dvd of my drive as a momento. Very disappointed with the footage. Was just footage from a camera mounted infront of the instructor. I was under the impression that there was 2 cameras. 1 facing forward and another facing me and the footage would switch between the 2 cameras. The footage started just as i left the pits and finished at the end of the pits on the last lap. didn't show me getting setup in the car or entering the pits at the end.

Also the sound was very heavily distorted and sounded like a very bad computer generated V8 sound.

Just wondering if others have bought the dvd ($45) and whether they were happy with the footage?

cheers Stepwah
Stepwah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #38
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

My younger bro did the v8 race at eastern creek ( the one bought thru supercheap). While he enjoyed the day he was disappointed, as he was of the belief that you'd be getting a v8 experience, but instead all he got was a commodore SS and falcon XR8 with the v8 body kits. The XR8 was a BA as it had the 5 speed box.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2007, 04:59 PM   #39
hotgemini
Starter Motor

First a caveat, I'm a driving instructor and I do work for V8 race experience (www.v8race.com) but I do not represent them here.

To quote the v8 race website
Quote:
V8RACE cars are built from scratch to our own formula and specs. It's all about speed, grunt, grip and you and your coach making it back to the pits in one piece.

These are not Supercars, but look like tham and are easier to drive. So you can get strapped in, then get straight into it - No limits on speed or heart rate.
I'm really glad your brother enjoyed the day, the guys at V8Race experience do their utmost to make the day as accessable and enjoyable as possible whilst still offering a great learning experience. To make a similar event feasible in a current spec V8Supercar™ you'd have to expect something like $4500 for 5 laps plus an assurance of anything up to $150,000 worth of damage and in reality you'd probably expect 75 or 80% of people to have at least one over-rev and cost themselves $6k in engine damage at an absolute bare minimum. Then you'd have to factor in about 1 in 5 people lunching an engine at $45,000+. It simply isn't feasible, if it was, someone would already be doing it! In short unless you have $60k disposable income then you'd never get your backside in the seat.

Another bit of harsh reality is this, what we do on the street couldn't be any further removed from what we do on the racetrack, unless you already have a few seasons of motorsport under your belt (and therefore have already spent a small fortune) then I'd be willing to bet that in a full-spec V8Supercar™ you wouldn't go as fast as what lap times the V8Race cars are capable of (and I base this on 50,000 laps experience).

They offer a great experience, reasonably-priced and professionally-run.

Stepwah: Ring the folks at the V8 race experience office during office hours on 03 9533 7900 and let them know your DVD failed to switch views, normally they'll refund you the cost of the DVD but don't hold me to that, I just instruct.
hotgemini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2007, 06:28 PM   #40
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

well I for one absolutely had a ball last week when I did my 5 laps....my only whinge was I wished I had paid for the extra 5 laps.....and my instructor Michael was excellent....definately gonna go and do it again soon....by the way I was only a couple of clicks shy of 200kph down the the staright at Eastern Creek...not to bad goin' for a sheila....lol

2009 TWEEKD FG XR8 IN SILHOUETTE
all mods done by Walter Markham from Oztek Performance
killerjoolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2007, 06:54 PM   #41
SHIFTN
CL&JW BATHURST CHAMPS!

so the video is meant to switch views or not?

-SHIFTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
geeves can you pass the toothpicks please, i have some rice stuck between my teeth.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwley93
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
SHIFTN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #42
hotgemini
Starter Motor

Unless it has changed with the recent introduction of DVDs, yes.
Old 30-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #43
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFTN
so the video is meant to switch views or not?

-SHIFTN
my in car DVD switches from pics of me to view through front windscreen....
killerjoolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #44
SHIFTN
CL&JW BATHURST CHAMPS!

so it kinda depends on which car or instructor you get?

-SHIFTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
geeves can you pass the toothpicks please, i have some rice stuck between my teeth.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwley93
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
SHIFTN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2007, 09:49 PM   #45
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Id rather do a track day for the money
Old 31-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #46
hotgemini
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFTN
so it kinda depends on which car or instructor you get?

-SHIFTN
Generally the biggest factor is the attitude you take when you slide into the car. Try to be relaxed and calm but still focussed. It is no good trying to learn whilst you've got pupils the size of pin-pricks and adrenaline squirting out of your ears.

Keep a good mindset, be technique focussed. Don't say to yourself "How do I go faster?" but rather say "What can I do to make my racing line better?", you will still go faster but your technique will be better and you'll consistently keep improving, whereas if you focus on the going as fast as possible, in reality all you are doing is seeing how fast you can do on whatever random and most-likely flawed racing line you happen to start out on.

Be humble, nobody is perfect and we don't expect it either, so if the instructor is trying to get you to do something different, then it will be to make you go faster.

Thats basically my advice on how to approach it.

-Adam.
Old 31-08-2007, 11:04 PM   #47
rns-11z

im going on tuesday, taking my dad with me for his 50th... will post how it goes. (at qld raceway)

It was Gossip

Team AMG Cafe menu
Breakfast ///M3
Lunch ///M5
Dinner ///M6
Fruity Desert RS8
rns-11z is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #48
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

Old thread I know but is anyone heading out to Calder for the friday morning session? 29/5 I got 5 laps and going 2 get the dvd aswell. I raced karts for 5 or so years so that should help. Cant wait
xagsjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #49
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Thread mined twice it would seem, but reading it.. I think I'll take a craic one day. :P
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #50
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got one coming up at Calder.

Looking forward to it.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #51
GUTLES
Adam.

Talk about bringing an old thread out of the woodwork! but hey why bother starting a new one with the same topic..

I won a drive day @ Calder about 3 years ago, was alright, brakes we're awesome & so was the grip, if you own a XR6 Turbo, XR8, GT etc there about the same speed as your stock car, I got it to 180 down the straight which is as fast as anyones gone they told me.

About a year later I won a trip to Paul Morris's test track in Qld for the same sort of thing but a bit more full on, they had a slalom course, skidpan & we had a race with 3 teams, was great fun, highlight was 3 hot laps with Steven Richards in a TE50..

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 01:09 AM   #52
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTLES
Talk about bringing an old thread out of the woodwork! but hey why bother starting a new one with the same topic..

That was the idea. Should get me in the mood for the tassie round this weekend.
xagsjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post