Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #31
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn, my mistake but better for you, the new FG EGas will be Liquid Injection (LI) which is much better than SVI. No power loss and better economy.
Old 28-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #32
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I own a wagon and i can tell you that there is no sedan that can match a practicality of a wagon. Dogs, prams ,tools , bikes, shopping - so easy to transport in a wagon. They are not sexy cars but very convenient.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #33
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
I own a wagon and i can tell you that there is no sedan that can match a practicality of a wagon. Dogs, prams ,tools , bikes, shopping - so easy to transport in a wagon. They are not sexy cars but very convenient.
Exactly! Its not always the need for the large space for a single large item, but its practical.
Old 28-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #34
Wally
XP Coupe

I'd wait to see how you feel about a wagon when the kids come along. I must admit we had one when the kids were bubs and it was handy for the wife when getting stuff in and out.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #35
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I'd wait to see how you feel about a wagon when the kids come along. I must admit we had one when the kids were bubs and it was handy for the wife when getting stuff in and out.
I have had plenty of wagons so I know I've been happy with them, we are just in between cars at the moment. The only disadvantage of a wagon is parking the thing in suburbia sometimes - the Civic is fantastic in that regard. Having said that, if I wasn't getting a wagon I'd probably be going LWB sedan anyway, so not much in it.
Old 28-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #36
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
How about get the ford wagon and translpant Fairlane seats, doorskins, carpets etc into it.
Great idea! A little work, but a good and cheap way to have a great Ford wagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
Just remember to fit good waterproof seat covers over the back seat cos, trust me, they WILL get covered in crap. Think sticky fingers, dropped bottles, spilt sipper cups and poppers, food scraps, crumbs etc, you name it, the seat will wear it at some point. Don't say you won't be letting them eat or drink back there cos you'll end up giving them anything you got on hand to feed and water them just to shut them up. Mine are nearly 3 and 5 and the back seat of the missus' wagon is a certified disaster area.
So, so true! LOL! My girls are 3 and 5 also! We also agreed that there would be no eating in the back of the car! Yeah right!

Bushbasher[/QUOTE]oh, and here's a tip, get yourself a portable DVD player you can strap to the headrest or bolt to the roof for trips longer than 45 minutes, [/QUOTE]

Our protable dvd player gets a bit of use on the trips to Canberra. Fantastic device. LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #37
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BMW 5 Series, 1995 onwards. Ideally a 540i, V8, goes bloody hard and good on gas, best I got my old one (sedan) on a trip was a little over 8l/100km or 11-12 around town. The 2.8 6 cyls are supposedly the best al rounder, and no doubt cheaper.

The VZ V8 Berlinas are nice, especailly with leather, but you know what its like with Holdens, by now the crap plastics are probably rattling themselves to bits, those BMWs will be in better shape than a VZ with twice the mileage and age.

But ya can never go wrong with an AU. The Fairmont wagons are a nice package.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #38
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
BMW 5 Series, 1995 onwards. Ideally a 540i, V8, goes bloody hard and good on gas,
Either they don't make 540 wagons or they are as rare as hens teeth - out of 44 on Carsales, there is not one wagon. :( Shame, look like nice cars.
Old 29-06-2009, 12:01 AM   #39
DougM

Our AU wagon has earned its keep 5 times over.....We have 3 young kids.....We could not get by without it.....You don't know what a messy car is until you put young kids in the back!!!! We both agree, no fancy car for these monkeys.....On weekends away, we fill it to the top!!!!! We have a cargo barrier.....The six enough power, even fully loaded..

Admittedly, we are a 2 car family....My daily is an AUXR8 with leather interior.......We do go out in it on the weekends......There is no way the sedan is big enough to go away with...Good luck!!!!!!!1
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #40
Late braker

You need practical, durable transport, leather is not advisable, it WILL get wrecked as will plush door trims etc. You need hard wearing interiors and practicality. 6 over V8, think of your fuel bills- Falcon wagon would be fine.
Late braker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 08:34 AM   #41
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Start saving, the new FG SVI Egas wagon due next year.
Ummmmm....

No.

There's no such thing......
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #42
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Another thought; Assuming you're budget is 12k going by your sig, consider lowering your sights a little cos I think 12 for a low k BF might be a struggle. How about this, look for a 100k-ish dual fuel AUII-III Futura wagon for around 6-7k then put some of the change towards a nice NF-NL 5L dual fuel Fairlane. These can be picked up for under 5k these days. That way you get the best of both worlds in that you get a good reliable wagon AND a nice luxo cruiser with a bit of grunt that are both cheap to run on gas. The wagon will do everything you want it to do with ease and the 'lane is still a lovely car to drive with enough comfort and luxury (and a bit of grunt on petrol) to keep you happy especially if you get one with leather. Running costs for the both on gas would be no more than running one 5.7 V8 on petrol plus insurance would be not much different from the 2 older Fords to the one newer holden.

Just a thought.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 11:29 PM   #43
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Buy yourself a Tsunami.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=80694

Lukeyson
Old 30-06-2009, 01:01 AM   #44
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
He wants about 30k, about twice my initial budget. Wonder if I can talk him down to $15k??