Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
Richad

Post Traffic Camera Viewer Development Help

Hi everyone,

I am currently writing an application which incorporates the traffic cameras (not speed cameras!) of most australian states . Basically this program will contain all publicly available traffic cameras. My question is whether I am allowed to ask for volunteers to test the program?

Just a couple of things:

The program is freeware and will always remain free
I am not posting this to advertise anything - I simply need some user input.

If that is against forum rules, my apologies.

Anyway these are some details of the software:

I hope the following will make the software a little clearer and easier to understand. ATC (Australian Traffic Cameras) does not prevent you from getting speeding fines, it does not keep you out of traffic jams or heavy traffic. It does however create added convenience, easier use of the camera networks around the country and adds plenty of entertainment.

The ultimate goal of this software is to make a program which is a unified source of all webcam images available in australian states. The program is sitting currently at beta 2 with over 70 cameras already loaded into it. The integration process of traffic cameras is very slow as a lot of coding is involved.

The latest build (from late last week) with the main navigation window, Australian map and the currently available states. In the status bar, you`ll find the current time (set by local computer) and a network check on startup. If the network cannot be found, you may not be able to use the software.

Example of navigational layout (in this case NSW), radio buttons are used to open the next window which contains a collection of latest traffic camera images.

This screen shows Sydney metro camera grabs.The preview screens are live images and are only refreshed upon relaunch of the software. This keeps software performance to a maximum while giving a glance of traffic conditions. Full sized images can be retreived by clicking on the wanted camera. A user can also jump directly from one area to another from any window (toolbar). By using live images, I get around the issue of copyright protected content. Since nothing is stored or saved, the software behaves a bit like a web-browser. Only in a sense of retreiving images and nothing else. All windows operate exactly the same making navigation easier and keeping in line with coding practice.

The live traffic window above has been completely re-written to include a better layout (better looking aswell), new code to improve performance and easier usage of inclduded features. This includes always on top, ticker stop and start and saving of images (where allowed by copyright), all images are centred and maintain their original size and shape keeping images looking sharp. All images are refreshed by timer class every 60 seconds. The 60 second ticker routing keeps performance and refresh rate balanced.

The exact location can be viewed from within google maps as well.

Thanks for reading,

Richad

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

That's awesome for route planning IMO. Good work. You say you want volunteers? For what exactly? Testing in which respect?
Old 01-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Richad

Hi mate,

Thanks. Basically I just need people to use the program that are prepared to give feedback on any bugs or design flaws. Nothing more advanced than that.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
XR.Turbo
Spooler

I'd be up for some beta testing!
XR.Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
Richad

Ok cool thanks.

PM me and I will send you the link. Once I get some positive feedback, I will post the link in this thread for everyone to download.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:00 AM   #6
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

I'm up for it too.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
Teflon Turbo
Banned

wouldn't be easier to create a webpage and link all the cameras through a portal if you like? Then give it a .com address.

This way people can check traffic from work, before they leave home, or access the internet through their mobiles even interent cafes without the need of any software.

that is basically what you are doing but incorporating it into an application.

creating a webpage and copying a few lines of html would take far less time and is more practical across a wider ranges of devices.

I do admire what you are trying to do, but unless you provide some kind of a solution I really can't see the point.

on a separate note....

how do we know your software isn't maliscious? you have only had one post?
Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
Richad

Hi Teflon Turbo,

Of course it can be done through a webpage, but that is already available if you go to the states roads and traffic governing bodies. Besides, coding is somewhat a hobby of mine and having all that in an application has the advantage of not having to have access to a web browser. For example at my work I would not be able to go to any website. I suppose it comes down to the question if you are interested or not.. and each to their own

I may have only one post but see when I joined. Some of you from 2005 probably still remember this:
http://fordforums.com.au/printthread...1&page=6&pp=15

I am the owner and operator of that website, I really wouldnt have anything to gain by giving out virus infected crap. But again, if you dont trust me then dont download.

Thanks

Last edited by Richad; 02-08-2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
Cam
Stroking it...

Would be nice to have this in WM6...

But yes, I am up for some beta testing
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
Teflon Turbo
Banned

fair call....

just having had a look at your site there.

what's the deal with digital scanners, when can we pic up the boys in blue down here in vic?

any news on that?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like a nice app. What's it coded in for interests sake?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #12
Richad

Hi Teflon Turbo,

All metropolitan police channels are now Digital with in-built encryption. Due to the encryption, its not only near impossible to listen now, but its also highly illegal. Even if you do manage to get hold of the 64 bit encryption key, this is changed weekly as well.

I guess the time to listen to law enforcement has come to an end, and sadly Ambulance and Fire are following suit soon.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #13
Richad

Hi Mitchay,

Its developed in Visual Basic .net
Old 02-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #14
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ill do some testing for you if there are areas in geeong that have the cameras

i do travel to melbourne a bit via the westgte ect as well

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #15
Teflon Turbo
Banned

i didnt realise it was illegal.

ah well, I wish you well with your innovative application!
Old 02-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #16
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richad
Hi Mitchay,

Its developed in Visual Basic .net
Ah very nice. I love VB.NET, it was my job until 6 months ago. Love the .NET Framework.

I'd ask you for the solution file to have a look except that I have Visual C++ installed at the moment trying to up my skills in that department. I'm not getting far with it either.

Why can't they release a Express version with all the languages is beyond me

:
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #17
Richad

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the kind feedback so far.

This is the direct download link. It is however password protected to stop the distribution of the program until I have gotten some feedback from people.

If I got up to 5 people installing and testing this and the feedback is good I will remove the password. Please PM me for the password.

System requirements

Windows XP (with .net framework), Windows Vista or Windows 7
6 mb of required space
Broadband connection

Download Size: 1mb

Thanks