Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-08-2005, 11:17 AM   #1
spiteri

Default Concerning Startup Noise

Been getting a reletivly high pitched screech that lasts about 1 second on startup. Nothing after the initial noise.

With my limited car know how, it sounds like a belt or somthing...but its almost impossible to detect where it's coming from as it's rather non directional...

Any ideas?

spiteri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #2
gozza

im in the the wrong forum(i got an eb) but when its a cold mornin i get a screcch if i rev it before its been running for 5-10 mins
i replaced one of the belt pullys cos it seized up...had no worries for a while and now its back..either other pullys have failed or worn belts or somthin
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 12:34 AM   #3
Steve_T

Process of elimination. When the car is running, grab a can of INOX and spray some on the drive belt (careful not to let the nozzle or anything else catch in the running belt!). Do this just before you turn the car off for the night, then see if it still screeches next morning - if the spray has eliminated the screech then it's about time for a new belt. Else it'd be pully/bearing problem. You could try similar technique spraying into the bearings/spindle of each pully one at a time to try and track down which one.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 12:40 AM   #4
t2te50
Banned

I get the same thing steve, it's like sounds as if the starter gear release spring has lost tension and causes over extended engagement. Sounds like a high speed meshing of gears?
t2te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 01:14 AM   #5
Steve_T

That wasn't the sound I was thinking of - I was thinking of a belt slipping or dry/siezed bearing kinda screech - like the screeching you hear on the many badly maintained evap. air conditioners around the place lol.

The AU starters have an overrun clutch on the drive gear so (unless the overrun clutch is shagged/siezed somehow) you shouldn't have any real sounds from the starter even if it is overrun from weak solenoid spring etc. 'cause the gearset/motor won't be turning and the drive gear/clutch outer should be under no load. If it definatley soulds like starter you'd wanna pull it off and check out the solenoid and clutch etc.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post