Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default starter motor - i think

hi guys just a few easy ones (hopefully)

i think the starter motor is cactus...

the car is a AU3 SR, 6cyl auto, etc.

my wife took the car out yesterday for a few short trips and it made a funny noise when she started it once, but it started fine and was ok for the day.

then this morning we load the family up to go out for my son's 1st birthday, turn the key and... click click click, then nothing.

i searched the forums and read the old posts.. i tried to go back and forth through the gears (nothing), i tried turning it over with the lights on (no dimming), i looked and felt around the alternator for power steering fluid (nothing), i check/cleaned tightened the battery terminals (still nothing). so i'm thinking its the starter motor.

just wondering if these things up and die without warning? how much are they to replace and how hard is it to swap for a new one in the garage?

cheers

and yes, this kinda ruined our plans to make the little guys birthday a special day. he is now asleep in bed, my wife is cooking/cleaning and i'm on here and about to go help clean up and keep little miss 2yr old amused. joy

-tim

sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

hey mate
yes it could be a starter motor, however it could be battery too. try starting it in neutral just to make sure it isn't the inhibitor switch, but it sounds like you've already tried that? So you've got seemingly good charge in the battery? ie radio and dashlights and headlights and everything works otherwise?
I did see a situation once that the battery was at fault here - no amount of jump starting/jump pack would get it to turn over - put in a new battery - fired up first go and did so for ages.
But in all likelihood it'd be your starter motor as you suggested.
However when mine died it got progressively worse - ie just wouldn't really turn right or give proper kick, and would sometimes bang about.
Old 21-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Is it trying to crank over or did you just get a series of clicks? If the latter I'd suggest it's a dud battery at fault.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i tried it in neutral, no good.

i haven't noticed it playing up at all. my wife started it yesterday in the garage before she went out and it made a noise so she turned it off and back on and it went fine. she was out and about for the day (about 4 or 5 stops) and it didn't play up at all.

then today when i tried to start it in the garage nothing.

i have found a new bosch starter motor at bullseye auto parts locally for $250, how's the price seem? i was thinking i could buy it today and wait for the mechanic (brother) to check the car tonight, if it's dead swap them tommorrow.

i'm kind of pressed for time as i won't be able to do it for another week or two if it isn't done this weekend, and with 2 small kids the wife needs the car (and i won't let her take the pile of crap commodore i have)
Old 21-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bah..

no cranking, just 3 or 4 clicks when turning the key, then next turn nothing, then clicks...

might try a jump before spending the $250
Old 21-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakypete23
bah..

no cranking, just 3 or 4 clicks when turning the key, then next turn nothing, then clicks...

might try a jump before spending the $250
Sounds to me like battery. I doubt that a jump would get it going either (although it will see if the car will start) as it appears that it has collapsed.
Old 21-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i be damned. the jump start worked!!

yay, time to buy a new battery (should be cheaper than the starter)
Old 21-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakypete23
well i be damned. the jump start worked!!

yay, time to buy a new battery (should be cheaper than the starter)
Thought it would be, about $130 for a good one will set you right.
Old 21-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if only i listened to my brother, he said to jump it an hour or two ago... maybe he does know what he is talking about, lol
Old 21-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Is it trying to crank over or did you just get a series of clicks? If the latter I'd suggest it's a dud battery at fault.
yeah, same thing happened to me a few months ago. Battery was working perfectly well when I got home at night and the next morning "click, click, click".

No warning at all :(
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the same problem a week ago. Had been parked for 10 mins, waiting for someone, had the parkers on, and radio on. Was waiting inpatiently, when I glanced at the dash lighting and realised that it was growing dim (not by the dimmer). I turned the parkers off and the radio off (no easy task as the knob take 10 minutes of pushing and swearing to turn the radio off). Tried to start it, "urng-urng-urng-clickclickclick" It was trying to turn over for a second, then it just clicked. Stopped waited a minute, tried again, "clickclickclick-clickclick" nope, ok.. waited about 5 minutes, "urng-click-urng-clickclick-urng-urng-splutter-VROOM" just got it going. Kept above 2500rpm for a minute to charge. Previous to that, I hadnt had an issue on this battery, though its starting to get old, so it looks like I'm up for a new one soon.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post