Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-08-2005, 06:01 PM   #1
gregj
Starter Motor

Question CD Stacker

Hi Guys,
Totally new bloke here.Bought a 99 au wagon last november & very happy, so happy that have just purchased 2000 au S pack for missus & kids to replace her 97 Nimbus. Going thru roadworthy to get vic plates @ moment.
Only problem is kids are bitterly disappointed doesn't have cd stacker (optional with Prestige audio system as fitted). Have found a factory 6 stacker (unit only) for sale from a 97 Fairlane Ghia - model number FCH006A1x, 8 wires at stacker, 1 red, 1yellow, 3 white & 3 black.
Wifes car currently at mechanic. Can anyone tell me if this is all I need to give it a cd playing capacity ?? & how much if any of the wiring to boot is already in place (unit does not come with wiring to head).
thanks
Anyone have a need for a 97 Nimbus ??
- be gentle guys, this is my first time - on any site

gregj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2005, 10:42 PM   #2
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Welcome Greg.

The EL Ghia had the old style seperate stacker connected to the head unit, whereas the premium audio in the AUs have a double din in-dash CD stacker. You should try and dig up one, as many people decide to rip them out and reaplce them with a better system. Being a 200 model, it will be either Series I or Series II AU, and the dash changed a bit between series, but I would think the general shape of the double din stereos didn't so you might be ok getting one from any series AU.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 12:03 AM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

While the radios look the same in an AU1 and AU2, they are actually very different. The wiring and controls are different, so they are actually incompatible between the 2 series. And I doubt a 97 EL/NL stacker would be compatible with either.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 09:05 AM   #4
gregj
Starter Motor

Thank you, I'll try & pick something up. Because the current radio has a cassette ("prestige" - not premium), and a button for switching to cd, when fitted, would appear that a separate cd stacker/player was what was reqired. I'll settle for the in dash type stacker if I can find one, but sort of like the idea of retaining current radio for use of cassette player also. Wife/kids have heap of favourite cassettes, which I don't fancy recording to cd - but can be done for a few of the best if necessary.
Old 21-08-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Greg - my olds have an AU2 Forte, that has both cassette and single CD. Best of both worlds. I know you're interested in my single CD, but if you can find one with cassette as well, even better!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 21-08-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
Greg - my olds have an AU2 Forte, that has both cassette and single CD. Best of both worlds. I know you're interested in my single CD, but if you can find one with cassette as well, even better!
my au forte has a cassette and cd as well, i thought they all did?
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 05:56 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

My AU2 Forte and the AU1 XR8 both only had/have CD. I think the CD/cassette option was an option. 90% sure that CD only was standard in AU2.

Old 21-08-2005, 06:51 PM   #8
gregj
Starter Motor

Research is starting to bear fruit. The guy next door has a AU1 wagon, so went & had a chat & look see. He has the same radio cassette with factory Ford 6 stacker under front passenger seat
As advised will be carefull is not just similar looking unit in dash only. Understand their is an Alpine model that will hook straight up to dash unit with correct adapter cable (model no.CHM S630 found info elsewhere in this forum) & still use steering wheel controls.For moment belief car is an AU1 model (at least that is what grill would indicate) will confirm with compliance plate when it comes back with new rear disks from workshop tomrrow. New to Fords. Meanwhile will keep researching & exploring options. Thanks for help all.
Old 21-08-2005, 06:59 PM   #9
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a stacker in my AU1 not being used at the moment, I am trying to sell the car but if the buyer doesnt want it, it may be available. It was connected to the factory unit that had the cassette in the dash so everything you need will be there.

What were you quoted for the EL stacker?