Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
yanknbank
Very regular

Default Commercial bias on TV

I couldn't help but notice today as I settled in to watch the AFL final, a new Beaurepaire commercial on the TV.
It depicted a vehicle with the front end out of alignment and the wheels out of balance. The message was of course, you will need to get these problems rectified and Beaurepaire is the place of choice to get them sorted. Well, fair enough.
But what car did they use to illustrate the vehicles unfortunate mechanical predicament? Well a Ford of course. A brand new FG G6/E in fact.

There was also an RACV add that ran on TV awhile ago that illustrated a vehicle breakdown. You guessed it. Another Ford, a Territory this time.

Who can forget those misleading and blatantly dishonest TAC adds where it was suggested that if you wipe off '5' you won't hit the truck (the premise being of course, you'll avoid an accident). AU Falcons again this time.

There have been other commercials over the years where Fords (usually the local F of A product) have been used to demonstrate a particular problem, but when something positive is being presented it's usually anything but a Ford that is used to show this. An example of this that springs to mind is the add that tells us about the advantages of the DSC/ESC and how it works. Commodores were used for this commercial.

Whislt the adds don't for a second suggest that there is anything wrong with Ford's product, they must over time, have some sort of subliminal impact.
It must drive the marketing guys down at Ford crazy. They spend big dollars on some flash looking promotion only to have it undercut, disbased by a commercial such as the beaurepaire add mentioned above.
Why didn't they use a clapped out '69 mini minor? That perhaps would have have been more appropriate than a brand new FG. Then again if they wanted a more upmarket visual impact, I suppose they got it right.

There does however seem to be an unintended, but obvious bias of a negative bent (well for those that visit these boards at least) towards the Ford brand which needs to be addressed. However, when you've got sections of the media such as Carsguide and maybe Wheels leaning so dramatically towards the other side, it's going to be a hard thing to fix.

Old 26-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And the Castrol Magnatec ad with Gilly shows a FG Falcon, yet depicts a V6 engine configuration.....wtf?
Old 26-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

noticed the exact same thing yanknbank....
Old 26-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
Thankfull
Banned

Look at it this way......when a young fella wants to part with some cash to buy a collectable classic car....he is going to seek advice from somebody right.

We all know that advice will be to buy a Ford....there aint nobody gonna advise him to buy a Holden.

We all know the reality of that...including Holden owners.
Thankfull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

i think you guys are looking into it waaayy too much.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
burnz
VFII SS UTE

ha ha ha bored much??
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
fast gt

They aslo use fords on those sip and save ads to! Its like they think we like to drink hahaha. Or is it the fact that the holden boys have been caught drink driving and the ford boys have to drive them to the bottleshop cause we're more sensible

Last edited by fast gt; 27-09-2009 at 02:56 PM.
fast gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I agree about looking into this way too much. If anything its good for Ford. Free advertising whether the ad is good or bad.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
yanknbank
Very regular

Quote:
I agree about looking into this way too much
I wasn't suggesting or promoting some sort of conspiracy theory or any other such thing. It was simply something I noted yesterday when I saw the add. Nothing much deeper or more cosmic than that.
If the producers of the add wanted a particular visual tone to it, they probably got it right. The FG looked great.
But if the vehicle depicted displays some sort of mechanical problem (albeit a minor one) why not use an Aurion or a Commodore for example. As someone who has owned and enjoyed a G6ET for the last 12 months, I was annoyed that they had used an FG in the commercial which had some slight negative overtones attached to it. That's all.
Old 27-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

or..think of it this way...

the beuarepairs guys needed a hire car that wouldn't fall apart just by running it up a gutter, hence why the hired a falcon.

the RACV add thay just wanted to illustrate a point, not kill someone. therefore they got a trusty old au that they knew was up to the job, rather that risk using a commonwhore that'd come unstuck resulting in tragedy!!

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #11
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not all wheel alignment ads are Falcons

http://www.pedders.com.au/products/55

Now theres a car that needs some servicing :
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #12
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
Not all wheel alignment ads are Falcons

http://www.pedders.com.au/products/55

Now theres a car that needs some servicing :
looks like they put new rear tires on it, must have traction problems hey. :
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

more likely they trying to stop the rear tyres from scrubbing on the inside!! wasting their time there. thats mission impossible :
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #14
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8falconsrule

the beuarepairs guys needed a hire car that wouldn't fall apart just by running it up a gutter, hence why the hired a falcon.

the RACV add thay just wanted to illustrate a point, not kill someone. therefore they got a trusty old au that they knew was up to the job, rather that risk using a commonwhore that'd come unstuck resulting in tragedy!!
This.

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #15
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I spotted this too but figured they just picked one of the best models from a lineup, then coupled it with a ditz who drives into a kerb. If they'd had a commodore it's wheel would have fallen off and we all know what that would have done to the commodore market.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #16
kircher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankfull
Look at it this way......when a young fella wants to part with some cash to buy a collectable classic car....he is going to seek advice from somebody right.

We all know that advice will be to buy a Ford....there aint nobody gonna advise him to buy a Holden.

We all know the reality of that...including Holden owners.
What about chargers? and monaros? I'm pretty sure HQ coupes are pretty rare and desirable as well. I can't remember the last time I saw one. An HQ coupe with numbers matching 350 or 327 would have to be worth as much as an XA GT coupe of the same condition. Of course GTHOs command a premium, but chargers and monaros are by no means cheap, and won't be getting any cheaper.
kircher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #17
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

You guys need to lay off the drugs. Paranoia much?
Old 28-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #18
Thankfull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8falconsrule

yea got to agree....this one..
Thankfull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #19
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Certainly not as much harm caused by a run of these ads. as your local Ford dealer can do in one day.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post