Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default A few positives

Few interesting things I heard during the week.

FG's TGW (things gone wrong) ratings are the best in class, even better than the Camry/Aurion. It rating numbers are considered world class.

Public perception of Ford is up in every category, covering such areas such as percieved quality, desire to own one, economy, environmentally friendly, fun to drive etc. This is done by an idependent company, and is a big improvement over last years results.

January orders are full and February is already a week or 2 full up already.

Falcon sedan has outsold Commodore sedan for the past 2 months.

A lot of this needs to be contributed to Marin, apparently he lit a fire under the sales and marketing teams bums and they have finally started to get it together, and the results are starting to show. 2010 looks like its already off to a strong start and should be a good year for FoA.

Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Great to hear. Haven't heard much abot Marin but what I have heard sounds positive. Its good to hear someone is sticking it to the marketing idiots - that area has been straggling for a long time.
Old 19-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

That is fantastic to hear, It's about time we start seeing some positive thread's about FoA and their marketing, as all we ever hear about is the negative.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 10:34 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Great to hear. Haven't heard much abot Marin but what I have heard sounds positive. Its good to hear someone is sticking it to the marketing idiots - that area has been straggling for a long time.
He's a good bloke to boot, I met him this week for the first time and he went out of his way to thank the workers for the great effort put in this year. He's a total opposite of the Yank presidents, who would tour the plant with huge entourages of people who would probably wipe the presidents bum if they went to the toilet, and would try to avoid associating with the riff raff in the plant, like they were too good for the place. Marin would walk around by himself with just the plant manager. No BS, and who does a better job.

No wonder the place went so downhill with the yanks incharge, their own self importance was a higher priority than keeping the place going profitably. How Tom Gorman was offered the CEO job at Brambles is beyond me.
Old 19-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
He's a good bloke to boot, I met him this week for the first time and he went out of his way to thank the workers for the great effort put in this year. He's a total opposite of the Yank presidents, who would tour the plant with huge entourages of people who would probably wipe the presidents bum if they went to the toilet, and would try to avoid associating with the riff raff in the plant, like they were too good for the place. Marin would walk around by himself with just the plant manager. No BS, and who does a better job.

No wonder the place went so downhill with the yanks incharge, their own self importance was a higher priority than keeping the place going profitably. How Tom Gorman was offered the CEO job at Brambles is beyond me.
Well, Mullaly has often said there is no room for egos at Ford anymore. Sounds like they got a great guy and President in Marin.

He is passionate, energetic and motivating. Great hiring to get him back to Australia after he developed the new Fiesta. Which is as he puts it (Fiesta), his baby.

I love the fact that when he hears total crap, he goes to the source, whether it's the media or whatever.

Well done.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:

FG's TGW (things gone wrong) ratings are the best in class, even better than the Camry/Aurion. It rating numbers are considered world class.
So, it'd would be blitzing VE Commodore (electrics/interiors) for quality then. Which i already thought anyway. I've heard of almost zero issues. For a new generation vehicle, that is terrific. Are Ford likely to release these results like they do in the US?
Quote:
Public perception of Ford is up in every category, covering such areas such as percieved quality, desire to own one, economy, environmentally friendly, fun to drive etc. This is done by an idependent company, and is a big improvement over last years results.
Amazing what some great cars for the past few years and good advertising will do. I've actually noticed something of a shift towards Ford recently by various people I know that weren't previously interested.
Quote:
January orders are full and February is already a week or 2 full up already.
This is great stuff. January is typically a very poor month for sales. Bossxr8, with a number of down days from yesterday, until January 11th, how many orders would this equate to?
Quote:
Falcon sedan has outsold Commodore sedan for the past 2 months.
Didn't see that coming at the beginning of this year, although, i certainly felt that it was more than deserved.
Quote:
A lot of this needs to be contributed to Marin, apparently he lit a fire under the sales and marketing teams bums and they have finally started to get it together, and the results are starting to show. 2010 looks like its already off to a strong start and should be a good year for FoA.
If it wasn't for Marin, that Bathurst 6cyl economy would've just been a missed opportunity. Instead, it helped to stifle the new VE launch. Well done.

With that order bank, 2010 does indeed look to be a good year!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 11:06 PM   #7
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FG is still suffering some quality issues, one thing which is really disappointing it the fact they still haven't fixed the diff bush durability. A/C seems to be a weak point as some are not able to deliver the cooling in the QLD climate, whether it's TX valve related, HIM module or heater case is anyones guess at the moment. Also driveline refinement hasn't really made a step forward from BF either.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 11:24 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
FG is still suffering some quality issues, one thing which is really disappointing it the fact they still haven't fixed the diff bush durability. A/C seems to be a weak point as some are not able to deliver the cooling in the QLD climate, whether it's TX valve related, HIM module or heater case is anyones guess at the moment. Also driveline refinement hasn't really made a step forward from BF either.
You are correct but there are other threads for this - this isn't the right one.
Old 20-12-2009, 01:51 AM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
So, it'd would be blitzing VE Commodore (electrics/interiors) for quality then. Which i already thought anyway. I've heard of almost zero issues. For a new generation vehicle, that is terrific. Are Ford likely to release these results like they do in the US?
Amazing what some great cars for the past few years and good advertising will do. I've actually noticed something of a shift towards Ford recently by various people I know that weren't previously interested.
This is great stuff. January is typically a very poor month for sales. Bossxr8, with a number of down days from yesterday, until January 11th, how many orders would this equate to?
AFAIK, all the manufacturers have an independent company measure the TGW's, and the results are shared between them, but for this to happen they have to agree not to use the results against each other, so they won't be used to attack Toyota or Holden.

Work on roughly 270 a day x 14? days. Rough guess. Australia day etc in Jan.
Old 20-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #10
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

It's nice to hear this news, and also nice to see the "new" Ford culture is taking roots in other parts of the globe as well.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #11
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Ill drink to that!!, 2010 is going to be our best year ever! :
Old 21-12-2009, 02:21 AM   #12
1TUFFUTE
Banned

lets just hope this awesome news and good fortune translates itself to the track aswell this year. We may need a little more help then ussual this year...
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:

It's taken Marin over a year to make an appearance to the PD Engineers. I wonder why he's now making the effort... I think I know why, and wasn't to say Merry Christmas.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
. How Tom Gorman was offered the CEO job at Brambles is beyond me.
Off topic,

Tom got promoted/demoted back to Australia recently.

Why no one cancelled his visa when the bum left is beyond me.
Old 21-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it is about time Ford strikes back when the opposition makes claims - the fuel consumption one from holden for example, it is about time that Ford smacked back in this regard instead of just sleepily talking slander and allowing untrue claims to roll by - lets hope that Ford keeps holden honest and bites back when untrue claims are made, if Ford continue to do this and the opposition continue to state untrue facts, well that says it all really.

Also the G series cars are the goods much nicer than what the opposition are currently offering and the sales are reflecting this go Ford

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #16
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I've seen this cycle of few times now.

When an Aussie is in charge FoA does well :

How hard is that for Ford (US parent company) to realise :
Old 23-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
It's taken Marin over a year to make an appearance to the PD Engineers. I wonder why he's now making the effort... I think I know why, and wasn't to say Merry Christmas.
Why don't you drop us a hint.
Old 23-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #18
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Awesome news.

Quote:
Why don't you drop us a hint.
I'm guessing diff bolts, and crappy ute cv joint.
Old 24-12-2009, 01:12 AM   #19
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Awesome news.

I'm guessing diff bolts, and crappy ute cv joint.

Hope so, good to see he is doing the dirty work.
Old 24-12-2009, 02:42 AM   #20
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

No, something more sinister than that... it's to do with NO resolutions on a certain matter.
Old 24-12-2009, 03:25 AM   #21
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
No, something more sinister than that... it's to do with NO resolutions on a certain matter.
hmmm...so cryptic LOL!

resolutions?? Not sure what you mean by that one.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #22
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
hmmm...so cryptic LOL!

resolutions?? Not sure what you mean by that one.....
could that be resolving a future product decision?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 10:39 AM   #23
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No guys, prodcut related... I'm talking about EBA.
Old 24-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #24
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Always a difficult negotiation. Considering employees wanting more (which is usually justified) but given the recent GFC, rising interest rates, below par sales (relative to 10 years ago), another slow down in the Aust economy and potential recession, etc, it puts FoA in a very difficult position......

Interesting times.

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #25
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JutroXR8
Always a difficult negotiation. Considering employees wanting more (which is usually justified) but given the recent GFC, rising interest rates, below par sales (relative to 10 years ago), another slow down in the Aust economy and potential recession, etc, it puts FoA in a very difficult position......

Interesting times.
They are valid points Jutro. I will add that not all Ford AUS employees are affected or have the same outcomes (no outcomes) by the negotiations.

It's a bitter pill for those affected when they see Ford Oz will be pretty much the only Ford arm to not provide decent outcomes, while Ford US (US economy affected by GFC much more than us) will be providing welcomed outcomes, the economies are recovering, sales are increasing etc.

Even in our local market, Ford are arguably in a better financial position than Holden, yet even they are going to provide solid outcomes to all the workforce.

Certain Ford AUS staff are really going to get burnt here.
Old 25-12-2009, 11:27 PM   #26
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:

Thanks for that. Just curious, who did these ratings?
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
Thanks for that. Just curious, who did these ratings?
I don't know. Its apparently done indedendently with all the manufacturers providing info and funds in a type of syndicate.
Old 26-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Why are they any different from the rest of us that it needs Marins personal intervention?

The whole things a mess regardless of which area it is, we still have to stay under the closure agreement even though the plant is no longer closing, which makes very little sense to me.