Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2010, 04:39 AM   #1
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Default Transport Minister

Lo all

Not sure if this is the right section for this, if it's not can one of the mods please move it.

I'm in Queensland and would like to know the requirements and procedure to run for Transport Minister (or whatever its called). If anyone can enlighten me it would be much appreciated. I've done research to no avail.

I think we can all agree that someone with at least half a brain needs to get into office and get siht sorted:

Anti-hoon laws

Digital speed cameras

Speed camera locations

Rego prices

P plate laws

Driver education

Highway speed limits

Road surface quality

Bus and train reliability

Public transport ticket prices

Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

is this a joke?

first you would need to join a political party (one that has a chance of making office)
then you would need to get high enough in the said party for them to allow you to represent them at election time
if elected, you need more of your mates elected than the other parties mates
once elected you need to be on good terms with the premier of the state, so he/she will let you manage the transport port folio

you do not just run for transport minister - you need to be a politician and then hope your leader gives you the appropriate port folio

and once you are elected, then you will see that motor enthusiasts are in the minority, and while we see a scratch on our car as something worth crying about, most people consider losing a loved one in a traffic accident as a devasting point of their lives. and surprisingly they are the more vocal - car enthusiasts just complain about their so called bad treatment else where
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

I see. It's much more complicated than I thought. Well gtxb67, you seem to know a lot more than me on the topic, what can we do as a minority to take action on the issues in the OP other than just whinge about it?
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 25-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
I see. It's much more complicated than I thought. Well gtxb67, you seem to know a lot more than me on the topic, what can we do as a minority to take action on the issues in the OP other than just whinge about it?
Write a letter to your local member, vote for who you think will do a better job come election time.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'd vote for you
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Nag them, your local electoral seat "STATE" MP, both sides for long term, stuff, and the sitting member with CC to the opposition for existing complaint).

Then nag and negotiate with the AAA affilliate in your STATE.

Then nag talkback, papers etc. (Often duly ignored).

Miinister takes 'advice' from the roads agency (or police Traffic Senior) typically, so you get a 123 form response usually.

Often a written Ministerial response will give you a phone number within the roads agency for you to then nag a poor public servant directly.

Sometimes after discussion, they will refer you back to the Minister who then corresponds with the same fella once again, and you arrive at the exact same position, it can take a number of years really to achieve much of value, if at all.

What 'can' happen is that you get passable PARTY roads policy *before* an election, the roads agency is then pretty much obligated to do the deed.

A roads minister recieves MOUNTAIN LOADS of white paper each week, the public service is very, very adept at creating this. They also have much 'control' over 'matters and outcome' as a result. One can often become well associated with a Ministerial 'liason staffer', the person who is the go between for the Minister and his or her agency:-)

Instrumental in all this is the States AG and his or her Dept, one of the more powerful agencies that can say - yay or neigh, along with Treasury and the Auditor.

I can be Minister and tell you vis; 'we'll mandate that each car is to have in it a safety vest to EN471 Spec - after Jan 1, 2015 for the purposes of registration', etc, but - that is knocked dead IF the AG (or Auditor's dept) decides otherwise. Many many 'levels and tiers' can impact management.

A reason why things move slowly in AUS, in my view:-)
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exactly as has been stated - write correspondence to your local MP, anything in a written form has to be responded to, it's all part and parcel of the way the Public Service is run.

By the way Keep left - I'll vote for you .
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
By the way Keep left - I'll vote for you .
Thank you! But, at 47 I'm too young for that:-) I'll go into politics once again in 13 years time and will derestrict rural freeways!

Thing is by then, the powers that be will have us on an automated ITS/GPS system with inbuilt 145km/h governor, with shaved heads mandatory for exceeding a speed limit by 8km/h or more..... mutter mutter....

http://www.dvr.de/site.aspx?url=html...&qu=DIN+EN+471
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
i do not know how to fix the problem. in my opinion, the rules are only made tighter because too many drivers lack respect and responsibility and cause the type of carnage that has devastating consequences. accidents will always happen, but there seems to be too many that should not happen – not mistakes like not seeing an oncoming car or red light – but when the driver seems to only care about how fast he/she can go and how much they can impress their mates. while these accidents happen so regularly, the rules will never be loosened

it seems to me that problem of irresponsible driving, is only the tip of the iceberg. too many people are totally irresponsible and arrogant in most day to day things, hence the world is a much more dangerous place now, than in the past. that in itself, means that fixing the driving problem is going to take much more than anyone thinks it might. the driving part is not the main problem for society, it is just a consequence of the main problem (just like speed is not the main problem in an accident, it is the secondary problem – first there must be an impact)

probably like some have suggested, we need education from a young age – to try and mould kids minds into being responsible. there is a group in melbourne “teenager’s road accident group” that goes to schools and tries to get the message across to high school kids – it may be too late by then, but at least they are trying. the tragedy is that everyone involved has lost someone, or been seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident and therefore is trying to stop others from sharing the same grief. in my opinion, this type of group would have more benefits than being a politician because they try to fix the problem without trying to please the majority of people for the sake of votes. this actual group is not anti cars, just against families having to deal with devastation
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...highlight=trag

if you have time and the interest, this type of thing could be very beneficial for not only society, but for us car enthusiasts. if somehow the totally stupid accidents could stop, then we have a chance of the road rules not getting tighter

it is off topic for this thread, but i do not agree with complaining about road rules and speed cameras on forums
1) while some mature and responsible people have some good arguments against them, it is my opinion there are potential loose cannons on forums, that may read some comments and decide to do something against them. assault a speed camera operator for instance
2) the police and maybe even the transport minister may read these forums to get an idea of our mindset and if they read some of the posts in these threads, then they would have no doubt that they are doing the right thing. some of the answers here while having some good points, seem to show a disregard for anyone but themselves and also for authority. the powers that be would be very happy with their rules having read some posts here
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Wow. Just wow. I didn't think it was physically possible to miss a point by that much. You have just set a new standard of WTF. Well done.
Old 26-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #11
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Soon to be the proud owner of a 1988 Jaguar XJ6 - black with white leather and a supercharged 351 Cleveland.
Off topic I know, but how much?
Old 26-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #12
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Lol I've been meaning to remove that, it was going to cost $5500 but the owner stuffed me around for AGES so I told him to stick it. It's a bummer too, its a really nice car.