Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 347 stroker with stock top end?

Hi all,

I've been tossing up whether to get my AU XR8 supercharged or strokered.. Obviously i want both but funds do not permit it at this time.

Anyway, i was thinking, since im after low down torque/power at this time. Would it be a good idea to run the stock AU XR8 GT40 heads, explorer manifold and stock cam? I will eventually change all this stuff but wanna get other peoples opinions first. Who thinks that its worth it? And has anybody got an idea of the cost of putting in just a 347 bottom end?

Anyone got a rough idea on the gain in torque and kws from a 347 bottom end on an AU XR8 with pretty much all bolt on mods? Di Filippo 4-1s, hi flow cats, G&D CAI, twin 2 1/2 exhaust, MSD Ignition.....

redauxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redauxr8
Hi all,

I've been tossing up whether to get my AU XR8 supercharged or strokered.. Obviously i want both but funds do not permit it at this time.

Anyway, i was thinking, since im after low down torque/power at this time. Would it be a good idea to run the stock AU XR8 GT40 heads, explorer manifold and stock cam? I will eventually change all this stuff but wanna get other peoples opinions first. Who thinks that its worth it? And has anybody got an idea of the cost of putting in just a 347 bottom end?

Anyone got a rough idea on the gain in torque and kws from a 347 bottom end on an AU XR8 with pretty much all bolt on mods? Di Filippo 4-1s, hi flow cats, G&D CAI, twin 2 1/2 exhaust, MSD Ignition.....
The only difference from that list in my old set up was that I had a GT40 upper manifold with the explorer lower and I also had a Crow Cam. The GT40p heads from a 220kw XR8 (I think I remember reading that's what you have) aren't too bad.

I made 237rwkw in the end on that combo with a heap of low down torque, ran a 13.4 with stock diff gears and auto and it was sweet to drive on the street.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
The only difference from that list in my old set up was that I had a GT40 upper manifold with the explorer lower and I also had a Crow Cam. The GT40p heads from a 220kw XR8 (I think I remember reading that's what you have) aren't too bad.

I made 237rwkw in the end on that combo with a heap of low down torque, ran a 13.4 with stock diff gears and auto and it was sweet to drive on the street.
13.4, thats a great time for that setup RG. im looking for something similar, how much better is the GT40 upper manifold better than the explorer?

I've seen a T3 manifold for sale with the trumpets that i reckon would be a great setup. How hard would it be to bolt that up to my future setup? I reckon i should just put a new cam in while i have the engine apart to.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
13.4, thats a great time for that setup RG. im looking for something similar, how much better is the GT40 upper manifold better than the explorer?

I've seen a T3 manifold for sale with the trumpets that i reckon would be a great setup. How hard would it be to bolt that up to my future setup? I reckon i should just put a new cam in while i have the engine apart to.
The GT40 upper is a bit better than the explorer and a lot prettier too. If you can find a T3 upper & lower intake for a reasonable price buy it and buy it fast, it's a direct bolt up and is a bloody good thing by all reports. Even better if you can pick up the 82mm TB that goes with it. Definitely do the cam while the engine is out.

The DF 4>1's are great for a 347 and in time you'll be able to add to what is a great base. Soon enough you'll do an intake manifold (there's an Edelbrock RPMII on here atm for $750 ;) )and then some heads later down the track.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh definetly gonna snap up a T3 intake manifold if i find it, however they are a bit pricey... Looking at the Edelbrock RPM now... Looks good... I think ill be buying myself a few early Christmas pressies haha
Old 09-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Cub35
Starter Motor

have a look at the trickflow gear as well. Sometimes they can be cheaper. Depends if there has been a big order etc for them
Cub35 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub35
have a look at the trickflow gear as well. Sometimes they can be cheaper. Depends if there has been a big order etc for them

Mmmm yeh, i luv the look of Trickflow manifolds... Theres actually one for sale that im thinkin about right now....
Old 09-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
Sprint347
Tickford

Save yourself the grief and buy a blower.

Once you're ready to sell the car take it back to standard and sell the blower.
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint347

He makes a good point, funny how lots of us with strokers seem to agree...

But if your after a stroker then the top end will be ok stock..
I'm running VIC JNR's and a Trickflow street heat atm, I'm looking at an R series upper and a larger cam to make good use of my heads, but this is not going to have overly nice manners..

For a more mild setup i'd suggest some AFR 185's and a trickflow street heat, would be a pretty nice combo mated with a nice streetable cam
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
Sprint347
Tickford

Alot of us have had motors out, tuning issues, fuel consumption woes, problems with police etc.

Don't get me wrong strokers sound great, have awesome power/torque and can be built to be well behaved/reliable.

But for a regularly driven street car and value for money I'd suggest a blower over a stroker.

Try and sell a stroked falcon as opposed to selling the car standard and blower seperate.
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Old 09-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #11
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Mmmm yeh.... Its just i that i've had this fascination of having a nice tough N/A for a bit.... Plans are to Stroker the engine for more downlow power/torque then run a centrifugal blower to compensate for more top end...

At the moment i am waiting for raptor superchargers to make a kit for the AU V8... should be within 5 weeks or so... So depending on the outcome of the new blower setups from raptor (power output, reliability and price) ill see what happens....

Or maybe just get a 347 bottom end with a raptor blower at once? I dunno aye to many decisions.....
Old 09-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Alot of us have had motors out, tuning issues, fuel consumption woes, problems with police etc.

Don't get me wrong strokers sound great, have awesome power/torque and can be built to be well behaved/reliable.

But for a regularly driven street car and value for money I'd suggest a blower over a stroker.

Try and sell a stroked falcon as opposed to selling the car standard and blower seperate.

The only problem i can see with the blower, apart from the tranny and diff going is the POLICE... If i get defected where i am, ill have to drive 1300kms to the nearest engineer to get it certified... Thats if i wanna keep the blower... The cops are usually a bit lenient with engine mods in my town ( I live in north WA) however, the city cops come up from Perth 2-3 times a year and go on a yellow sticker spree, they slap defect notices on left right and centre... Then the local cops do the same for a few weeks before they get slack again LOL

Its just a matter i laying low i suppose... But i dont wanna lay low when i got a blower!

Actually, does anyone know of a good Engineer in WA?
Old 01-12-2009, 09:50 PM   #13
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bringing this thread bak from the dead.....

Anyway... Does anyone know how much it would cost to build a 347 bottom end with a crane 2040 cam? I plan on keeping the gt 40 heads and explorer manifold for now... (Possible forced induction coming up with a centri blower)
Old 24-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #14
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Quote:

Just going to resuscitate this thread once more. I have been convinced that bolting on a set of afr's to the T3 is the way to go and most likely will still go that way.
Although i have been thinking about raptor superchargers and the results i would most likely receive with one of these.
My last dyno run showed the car was making 207rwkws which was up about 8kws on my old T3. The old T3 had 10klms on it and the second T3 had 35klms on it. Both are stock auto's.

So what would be rough guess on the result of a non-intercooled raptor running say 6psi?

Going the afr head route i am guessing once tuned with new exhaust, intake, upgraded ignition and possible fuel delivery upgrades i may pickup 25-30rwkws.

I do like the advantage that if i feel the need i can remove the blower and sell without to much difficulty and she is still stock. Running low boost of 5-6psi shouldn't be an issue either.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #15
Sprint347
Tickford

The only issue I'd have with strapping a blower to the T3 would be their sub-par valvesprings, which brings the new heads back into the equation.
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Old 24-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #16
Sprint347
Tickford

Quote:
bringing this thread bak from the dead.....

Anyway... Does anyone know how much it would cost to build a 347 bottom end with a crane 2040 cam? I plan on keeping the gt 40 heads and explorer manifold for now... (Possible forced induction coming up with a centri blower)
I pretty much did this, don't expect much change from $6k by the time you buy kits, cam, lifters, gaskets, balancing, machining, assembly etc.

Personally, I wouldn't stroke AND supercharge a factory block because there's a very high chance of the block failing.

If I had my time again I'd freshen the 5.0 and run a KB at moderate boost, and keep revs below 5500rpm.
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Old 24-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #17
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

What sort of power do you think it would make though? Whats your estimate? As i said the afrs are still the most likely option, i could always throw a blower on the xr8.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #18
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Check out the short cut below, The raptor kit would no doubt give you more bang for buck and can be taken off and sold if need be.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...6&postcount=54

Cheers, Craig.

Last edited by CRAIGAU3220; 24-02-2010 at 10:49 PM.
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #19
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy

So what would be rough guess on the result of a non-intercooled raptor running say 6psi?
Theres a black T3 running around Perth somewhere, making about 420rwhp with a Vortech blower. Only other mods are a restrictive single 3 inch exhaust, extractors, hi flow cats and injectors (plus the tune)... Its running about 8-9 psi i think... I think the cars recently been de-tuned because the heads keep "lifting"....

Theres also a blue T3 in Street Fords magazine making 400rwhp with just the blower, injectors and exhaust.
Old 25-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #20
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Blower is way easier than a stroker thats for sure and basically u install the blower urself if ur good with ur hands which would take u 1-2 days depending on how quick u are. All u need to do after install is get it tuned and all that done within a week and some mechanics may take months to build u a 347 engine.

If cops are gona be an issue then go stroker as they wont know what there looking at and if not then go blower.
Old 25-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #21
Cam
Stroking it...

For anyone who has the money to spend, blow it. Take it from those who have stroked it!

Run say 10psi on a stock 5L, and get a metric bucketload of power throughout the rev range, spend the money u saved on perhaps beefing up the 'box, then save for intake + heads.If the motor goes boom, theres a good chance your heads and intake will be ok, buy another short block, and off you go again..

or

Build a stroker, spend more money for less power, and when the engine lets go you can cry because your nice bottom end is now useless with a great big crack down the middle! Or more commonly, get to the point when you want to upgrade power on your stroker, but then realise you cant, and alllll the work you've done you can still be munched by an XR6T with a tune...

If it was me, I'd buy a low boost raptor kit, freshen up the bottom end, buy some decent heads and intake, 90mm MAF etc. Spend a lil on fueling it, add a stall and diff gears and your set... All for about the price of a well built stroker....

Personally, until I can afford a new block my car will stay as is setup wise. I will add a raptor supercharger kit and keep the revs around 5300rpm. But once I get another bottom end to build, its a whooole other thread!

If money was not an issue, then you need a dart block and a V7 SYI!

if cops are your issue, dont build a dodgy car, do it properly, make it legit! If you can afford 5k+++ for a blower kit, you can afford to get it engineered..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #22
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not that ive got a v8 but thats some damn good advice Cam
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #23
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Totally agree with cam, very good advice