Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 02-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up FORD Focus Wagon 2011

Here's the compact wagon we could have called our own. Ford has revealed the latest variants of its next-generation Focus small car line-up, unveiling a stylish wagon at Geneva overnight that will eventually sell alongside its already announced four- and five-door sedan and hatch siblings.

Featuring an even more advanced form of Ford's 'kinetic design' language and looking surprisingly like a shrunken-down version of the mid-sized Mondeo load-lugger, the Focus wagon is expected to roll out to European showrooms some time next year before eventually expanding to more than 120 countries worldwide - including Australia.

Ford Australia had planned to build the Focus here alongside the Falcon large car and Territory soft-roader but changed its mind when it realised it would make better economic sense to instead source the Focus from Asia.

A long nose featuring the now signature cut-through grille leads back to a sharply angled windscreen and sweeping roofline that drops down at the rear, finishing in a subtle lip spoiler. The Focus wagon is given a more aggressive stance from bulging guards, a rising beltline and diminishing glasshouse that might make it a bit difficult for future younger passengers to take in the passing scenery.

Under the hood, the Focus wagon slated for Europe is expected to feature 1.6-litre four-cylinder turbocharged petrol engines from Ford's EcoBoost range, while diesel engines run to a 1.6 or 2.0-litre version, mated to a dual-clutch gearbox.

Ford says the engines will save between 10 and 20 per cent extra fuel over existing drivetrains, which would push Australian models down to about the 7.0 litres per 100 kilometres mark for petrol versions and 5.0L/100km for diesel models.

Nothing is mentioned - yet - about hybrid drivetrains.

Even so, Ford is talking up the technology that will feature in the new wagon, and for that matter any one of the 10 models it plans to spin off the Focus platform by 2012.

It runs like a luxury car's options list, including speed limiter, lane diversion warning, blind spot warnings, driver fatigue monitor, adaptive cruise control, and a system that can even automatically avoid a collision at speeds below 30km/h - all for a car that currently costs just over $20,000 in base-model form.

Stuff we've not yet heard about includes a forward-looking camera that can recognise speed limits and overtaking signs, and throw them up on the dash display to alert the driver.

Other expected features include reversing camera, keyless entry and start, a capless fuel filler system that can prevent the driver adding the wrong type of fuel to the tank, and seatbelt reminders for up to seven seats.

There's also the neat feature of allowing owners to integrate their mobile phone with the car while using the phone's satellite navigation feature.
One thing that we can count on is some modification to the global small car to account for Australian tastes. Ford says up to 80 per cent of parts will be shared worldwide, leaving a fair margin of modification to adjust the Focus for our conditions.

Ford is also expected to spin off five and seven-passenger versions of a compact people mover based on the new Focus, as well as a soft-roader, by 2012.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
jarradgoodwin91

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Stuff we've not yet heard about includes a forward-looking camera that can recognise speed limits and overtaking signs, and throw them up on the dash display to alert the driver.

this will be interesting to see.
would it just be speed limits and overtaking signs or other signs too?
will also be interesting to see how this holds up when travelling through the city with all the streets signs.
jarradgoodwin91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Image is a bit small. Have you got a bigger one.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Image is a bit small. Have you got a bigger one.
Bigger wagon photo
Old 02-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Is that definitely the wagon?

This looks a tad more wagony...

This new model is really starting to grow on me, although still not keen on the hatch. Although I feel same about the current model.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
jarradgoodwin91

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
Is that definitely the wagon?

This looks a tad more wagony...

This new model is really starting to grow on me, although still not keen on the hatch. Although I feel same about the current model.

lmao
atm looks more like a convertable:P
jarradgoodwin91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yawn...

Old 03-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarradgoodwin91
lmao
atm looks more like a convertable:P
Hmmm, obviously the image host changed the pic associated with the link.
Doh! :
Thanks Leakey, exactly the pic I was TRYING to post!
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess I was a bit harsh stating "yawn". Wagons, IMHO can actually be the best looking of the family if done right. They have the longest 'lines' which can often make them look flowing and smooth.

I had a Magna wagon once that looked great. Everyone loved the look of it, even though Magnas werent the best looking car design,
and the ride, power etc, until I told them it was a Magna!! Oh, Magna's are crap.... But that's another story, and another forum...

The Focus wagon doesnt seem to have this 'flowing look'. Very Mazda 6 to me, IMHO.
Those big shoulder pads over the arches break it up. I think this model will date quickly, as have the Mazdas. Too busy and fussy.

They could a done something mad like Mini Wagon -

Where's the POT STIRRER smiley when you need it?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:01 AM   #10
AG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leakey
Yawn...

Looks great from the front and rear quarter views...

AG3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 02:04 AM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I wonder if it'll have more space then a Commo wagon......
Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I wonder if it'll have more space then a Commo wagon......
Depends on whether you're talking VE or VT-VZ. Wouldnt be hard to beat a VE.... and they keep crapping on about the forward hinge point!!
Leading you away from the fact it is no longer long wheel based.

I liked the wagon area in VZ, and its flatness.

Do you think the actual loading bay area will be bigger than current Focus?
The "hole" if you like, is pretty dismal on the current models. I guess its a trade off with crash protection.