Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
cougermoon
Mr blue

Default Cluster Help

Hey guys, I know this topic has been mentioned a bunch but after much searching i still have some questions.

I bought a series 3 xr cluster to go into my forte au 2.
I know that the following changes need to be made to the loom before it will function correctly :

Wiring changes required when fitting a Mid/High Series Cluster to a Forte/Futura Model Falcon. Although the Mid and High Series Clusters will simply plug in, and A L M O S T function, there a re a few changes you will need to make, in order to get the Cluster to function correctly. These changes are needed in order for the following to function, Dial Illumination with Park Lamps On The ABS Warning Lamp to Illuminate correctly The Right Hand Side Indicator Lamp to function Correctly The following wires need to be moved around, in order for the Mid/High Cluster to function correctly, 1. The Park Lamp Dial (+ Positive) Illumination needs to be moved from Pin 13 to Pin 2. 2. The Dial Negative Dimmer Illumination needs to be moved from Pin 21 to Pin 3. 3. The ABS Warning Lamp Wire needs to be moved from Pin 8 to Pin 23 4. The R.H. Side Indicator wire needs to be moved from Pin 19 to Pin 26

(thanks to Howesy for that)

But I am unsure as to tell what pin is which.

If someone could show me in a picture or something what pin one is im sure i can count and swap pins from there.

Also (basic electronics question here) negative wires for these looms are ones with stripes down them??

Finally is there any tips to moving these pins around without damaging them?

Many thanks

Will

Engine Mods:| 4499's Pacies | 2.5" single muffler Redback Cat back | Hi-Flow Cat | Custom intake 3" | SS CAI snorkel | BM Hi-Flow Filter |

Visual Mods:| Clear side indicators | Tickford Wings | XR dash cluster | Black gear surround and shifter | Painted brakes | 18" BF XR8 mags | Black chrome tail lights

My Build
cougermoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are photos of the wiring in the link below. If this is no good then i will take mine out and take some photos of that. I put a series II/III Tickford cluster in my AU III wagon (same as my old au II).

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...cluster+wiring

Cheers, Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
cougermoon
Mr blue

yeah haha i found this thread just after i posted mine -_-

Photos would be awesome!

although Bartsau, im having an issue getting the pins out, how did you remove yours?

Also when re-connecting the pins into the cluster, with the conversion some pins wont be in the loom anymore as they need to go into the second connection slot, how did you attach these loose pins without them touching other un-used pins in the back of the cluster

Engine Mods:| 4499's Pacies | 2.5" single muffler Redback Cat back | Hi-Flow Cat | Custom intake 3" | SS CAI snorkel | BM Hi-Flow Filter |

Visual Mods:| Clear side indicators | Tickford Wings | XR dash cluster | Black gear surround and shifter | Painted brakes | 18" BF XR8 mags | Black chrome tail lights

My Build
Old 08-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will get some photos if i get a chance tomorrow.

I didn't pull the pins out as i didn't have the right tool. I cut the wires that were into the original connector but needed to be into the 3rd connector (high series / xr) i then joined these to the wiring off the 3rd connector (had this from a wreck i bought (had already been done before).

If that makes sense. It will mean more when i get some photos.

Cheers, Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
cougermoon
Mr blue

Yeah, im building my own connector found a part at some electronics joint. I couldn't get them out either without risk of damaging the lug.

thanks Bartsau

Will

My Build