Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-05-2010, 01:14 AM   #121
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

I worked in a call centre once. the boss said my calls were too short and i couldnt be providing enough customer service. The next month he told me that my calls were too long and I was providing too much customer service. I hadnt changed anything that i was doing. My point is that the sales figures are just numbers on a spreadsheet. Im more interested in hearing that FoA is going to produce another falcon because they sold enough last year. Another Falcon means manufacturing stays in Australia, which means people have jobs where I live. This means lower unemployment and less lowlife scumbags taking drugs and making the streets look untidy.

I just tied me, working in a call centre, Ford Motor company of Australia, The ford falcon, car sales statistics, junkies and social disorder all into one neat and succinct post....Man I love the Internet.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 01:24 AM   #122
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
didn't ford have % intrest in kia
I believe they still do. They are sharing a factory in Vietnam I believe.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:40 AM   #123
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
The Commodore is in at 3,165 for the month and a quick look at the graphs shows that to be the case - with the exception of the combined platform graph which adds the Ute sales in as well. Likewise the segment based graphs in the Supplementary stats are based on rolling averages so the figures do not represent a single month but the average over 40+ months.

Cheers
Russ
my goodness , my eyes were starting to go wobbly with all those figures and graphs Russ, nice job putting all that together.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #124
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
When put like that is sounds ok, but Toyota wanted to sell 10,000 of them a year, which is 833 per month.. So 396 is well short of Toyota's own goal..
Yes. But we don't know how the supply situation is either. Also, the Hybrid Camry got launched into the middle of the Toyota recall fiasco which involved 8million vehicles and then spread to other models including hybrids...

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #125
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
festiva/fiesta was a joint project from memory.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #126
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Holden Commodore
2009 > 3177
2010 > 3165
Holden Cruze
2009 > 0
2010 > 2514
I'm not sure that the Cruze is stealing many Commodore sales at all. That would be like saying that the Focus is stealing sales from the Falcon.

I think the Cruze is more likely to be stealing sales from Corolla and Mazda 3 etc.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #127
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well considering most other cars went up from this time last year.. and commodore stayed the same.. i think some commodore sales have gone to the cruze...

the most accurate way to check would be to check the month to month sales since the cruze as been released.. not just from 12 months ago... and being that was a peak time of the GFC.. the figures can be very misleading. and should be compared perhaps to the year before..
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #128
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

carmy/aurion outsold falcon too. Realy they are the same car. Like a falcon 6cyl and v8 are the same car.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #129
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
I'm not sure that the Cruze is stealing many Commodore sales at all. That would be like saying that the Focus is stealing sales from the Falcon.

I think the Cruze is more likely to be stealing sales from Corolla and Mazda 3 etc.
Completely agree. I dont buy the whole 'Cruze is leaching sales from Commodore' argument. The stats seem to argue otherwise.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #130
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Holden buyers want a good small car and Cruze is filling that bill.
Rather than knocking Cruze, we should be asking why Ford's Focus (and Mondeo) sell so poorly...

Maybe FoA should look at Falcon based M3 and M5 sized RWD vehicles and skip a couple of non performers...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #131
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
Completely agree. I dont buy the whole 'Cruze is leaching sales from Commodore' argument. The stats seem to argue otherwise.
My best mate is a salesman for GMHolden at one of the largest dealers in SEQ. He sold 25 cars last month and the majority were Cruze. Certainly more than Commodore. He agrees it isn't a great car, but it is a very good one. But he tries to get people into the diesel as he rates it so much more highly than the pathetic petrol. At a retail level, his experience since launch is that Cruze is stealing sales from Commodore.

Retrotech thread
Old 07-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #132
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Holden buyers want a good small car and Cruze is filling that bill.
Rather than knocking Cruze, we should be asking why Ford's Focus (and Mondeo) sell so poorly...

Maybe FoA should look at Falcon based M3 and M5 sized RWD vehicles and skip a couple of non performers...
Like the sound of that, but it just isn't realistic unfortunately. Falcon is just a bit bigger than M5 size though. So, maybe Falcon could shrink a little for the next gen when GRWD happens.

Retrotech thread
Old 07-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #133
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Hmm, interesting points you raise phillyc. I wonder if this is a broad epidemic or if it is an isolated issue to that dealership that your friend works at. Commodore still seems to be holding its own with the Cruze in terms of sales volumes.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #134
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped

I haven't got the time right now to check the exact numbers but wasn't teh comodore one of few cars (both segment and overall) to LOSE sales year on year. Basically, given the current deals on teh table (at least equal to those this time last year if not more) why is commodore not up at all.....

Also the cruze comparison is misleading. You need to look at teh previous model/s that were on sale adn compare those year on year.

Based on that (astra/viva last year) cruze has increased holden's sales in that segment from 980 to 2500. Now the commodore went DOWN 10 sales. The overall market gain was 27% year on year. This tallies with ford going up 600 or so FG sales year on year (29%). Cruze did a much bigger jump than just 29% over the previous model....and that is understandable (its more appealing to the market for a range of reasons). BUT, its is not clear where those sales come from. Corolla for example increased 22% year on year....not much of a dent there...) My argument would be, given holden isn't that well known in that segment (esp with no hatch product) and with a new model car the sales probably come from the buyers most familiar with holden already (either previous small holdens or other models).

Put it this way, if the cruze didn't have a measurable impact on the commodore...why did the VE not keep pace with the market improvement (not even close). Either VE had a very good april in 2009 (doesn't look like it to me based on raw numbers but maybe so) or it got shafted by someone. Cruze is the likely suspect IMO.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #135
Chopped
as in chopped

Maybe the VE has finally reached it's use by date and needs a freshen up. Fleet sales are keeping the numbers up. The potential private buyers are waiting for the VF or have switched to the FG.

I think Cruze buyers had already made up their mind that they wanted a smaller vehicle than a Falcon or Commodore (a worrying trend). I think if Cruze wasn't around then it would just mean more sales to the other brands in that class.

Unrelated : Watch the Chinese brands come up. The crowded pond just got some more fish in it !.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #136
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i do agree with the trend towards smaller cars...

i just bought myself a new lancer last month.. (going from a BF XR6).. it ticked all the boxes.. it's very comfy.. doesn't feel small.. fair amount of space inside it too.. and fuel usage compared to the falcon is brilliant..

i'm completely happy with the decision to change to a smaller car.. the cruze was never even an option to me tho..
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 10:25 PM   #137
Chopped
as in chopped

Nice buy. I like the look of them. They are quite big for a "smaller" car.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #138
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Based on that (astra/viva last year) cruze has increased holden's sales in that segment from 980 to 2500. Now the commodore went DOWN 10 sales.
I think you probably need to maybe go back a bit further as there was an unofficial stop on the importing of the Astra early last year. Remember at that time that Opel/Vauxhall were up for sale as GM staggered towards bankruptcy and GMH (we're led to believe) narrowly avoided the same. So, they waited until GM Daewoo had the Cruze ready to roll.

Astra used to sell in that 1500 bracket. Viva got about 500 from memory.

Retrotech thread
Old 07-05-2010, 11:57 PM   #139
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cruze looks like an ok car for the price, the diesel anyway.
But didnt they have a recall on it? some fuel line thing?
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 12:07 AM   #140
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am not surprised by the success of the Cruze though.
It's a moderately priced car that looks okay. I think the back of it looks sloppy and outdated, but the front is okay.
It is well equipped for the cost, and Australians still love value.

The fact that it has a Holden badge, and Holden can also market to people's naievity has only made it an even better seller.

If I was going for a smaller car, I would pay a bit more and go a Lancer. I've always felt Mitsubishis are grossly underrated cars, the Magna being a prime example.

Seeing that I am not, it almost makes my views irrelevant, but that's okay, because I'm not really all that significant either.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 01:15 AM   #141
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I believe Hyundai now own 100% of Kia.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 01:40 AM   #142
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
I think a few of them change if you work it that way
1) Toyota 16697 + Lexus 449 + subaru 3216 = 20362
2) Holden 9964 + Saab (0) = 9964
3) Hyundai 6725 + Kia = 1938 = 8663
4) Ford = 8192
5) Mazda 6805
6) Nissan 4660 + Renault 203 =4863
7) Mitsubishi 4805
8) Volkswagon 2846 + Porsche 53 + Bentley 6 + Skoda 65 + Audi 1064 = 4034
9) Honda =3063

I think you will find that there is some guy in downtown tokyo that actually owns all the worlds car companies. The industry is so incestuous, you'd have a far better chance of working out the family lineage of someone from salisbury than you would the worlds car industry.
That makes very little sense at all...

* Toyota only owns 16% of Fuji Heavy Industries, who make Subaru.
* Holden no longer even distribute Saab, let alone the fact that GM no longer own any of it.
* As mentioned, Ford still own 13% or so of Mazda, but none of Kia and we won't count Volvo as it's been sold.
* Nissan and Renault do not own each other outright. They both hold a share in the other company - a true 'Joint Venture'. To make things even more complicated, they have both just taken 1.55% each in Daimler, while Daimler has taken a 3.1% stake in both Renault and Nissan.
* Volkswagen also own a 20% share of Suzuki.

And they're just the brands on that list.

Still want to combine numbers?

Last edited by imugli; 08-05-2010 at 01:47 AM.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 12:45 AM   #143
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

It is interesting to note that more FG sedans were sold than VE sedans.

I Ford did a FG wagon they'd now be no. 1.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #144
Bossxr8
Peter Car

FG sedan outsells VE sedan quite often.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #145
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
FG sedan outsells VE sedan quite often.
No FG sedan hasn't until recently.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #146
Bossxr8
Peter Car

It has done it at least 4 times in the past 12 months.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #147
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
It is interesting to note that more FG sedans were sold than VE sedans.

I Ford did a FG wagon they'd now be no. 1.
Yes, but the money invested in designing, testing and producing a wagon would never be recovered.

SUVs are the way to go now. The market has spoken.

Selling more cars does not necessarily equate to a larger profit, or even a profit at all.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #148
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Selling more cars does not necessarily equate to a larger profit, or even a profit at all.
a concept many fail to grasp. like performance figures, there is often way more to the story than just numbers.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2010, 12:57 AM   #149
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
It has done it at least 4 times in the past 12 months.
Correct. FG sedan outsold VE sedan twice in the final quaterof 2009 alone.

Retrotech thread