Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-06-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
MrXR6

Default Toyota Tundra ?

I spotted something a bit different today in my travels around Newcastle. A red Toyota Tundra? Didn't know that they were available in Australia. Is Toyota planning to bring them in?

MrXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Never heard of it, but it looks real nice. I wonder if it'll be competitive pricewise with other utes in the market if they bring it over.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personal import.
Toyota wont bring it here unless its built in Thailand like the Hilux.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

Work with a bloke who's brother imports Tundras and Nissan Titans and converts them, he's based on the Gold Coast. they are on the road for around 100k. nice looking trucks too.
gregg_13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 01:27 AM   #5
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are great unless you compare them to the competition.

Frame tests (vs F150)

The Ford actually sits on a boxed frame, the Tundra is using C-channel rails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRfE_XAk2mE - this one shows torsional deflection of the frame by adding weights to both frames.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j3PWGRrCZ4 - look at the way the Tundra bed just wobbles all over the place over rough road.

Rust:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/11...ation-due.html

Plus the interior on the Tundra is just horrible!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 02:49 AM   #6
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I drove a mates one in LA a couple of weeks ago. 5.7(or was it 8) litre engine. Thing was the biggest thing I've ever driven, but surprisingly very easy to drive. Even took it through a drive through!! Though I'd never try that again!

Good truck for all accounts. I think they will be overpriced here much like the F series was.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 11:42 PM   #7
yetchh
go bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
They are great unless you compare them to the competition.

Frame tests (vs F150)

The Ford actually sits on a boxed frame, the Tundra is using C-channel rails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRfE_XAk2mE - this one shows torsional deflection of the frame by adding weights to both frames.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j3PWGRrCZ4 - look at the way the Tundra bed just wobbles all over the place over rough road.

Rust:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/11...ation-due.html

Plus the interior on the Tundra is just horrible!

they've upped the anti with the new one.. now sits on a boxed frame instead of a c channel frame.. and i bet theyve fixed the rust issue since the 2000 model... toyotas have never been very rust proof, thats their major let down, but then most cars on salted roads rust, live in the uk for a while and you'll see what i mean
1977 RX4/929 coupe in epoxy finally
1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo
yetchh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 02:34 AM   #8
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

@yetchh, the current Tundra still sits on an open C-Channel frame with rivetted cross members. The top two videos are actually about the current shape. Toyota made it look tough on the outside though, following the Dodge styling a little, and throwing a larger 5.7L V8 in it. The frame is still pretty weak though, and that's why you see the bed wobble all over the place looking as if it's completely separated from the rest of the vehicle when going over rough road. No doubt Toyota fans will still justify their purchase and still say it's the toughest, most reliable truck out there, even if they were guaranteed to explode as they rolled out of the factory.
Old 14-06-2010, 03:20 AM   #9
1TUFFUTE
Banned

wont see them here much..they are a laaaarge truck and hence the price tag aswell. If you like your sport trucks Search the F150 RAPTOR. Factory F serious ready for baja of the factory floor...Awesome
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 03:27 AM   #10
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
wont see them here much..they are a laaaarge truck and hence the price tag aswell. If you like your sport trucks Search the F150 RAPTOR. Factory F serious ready for baja of the factory floor...Awesome
on this topic i agree with you lol, the raptor is a damned impressive bit of gear for a factory truck.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 04:51 AM   #11
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I'd buy a Tundra or a Titan, F150, Etc 100x over before buying a Ranger, Hilux or Navara.

Like the Nissan Titans in particular.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
yetchh
go bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
@yetchh, the current Tundra still sits on an open C-Channel frame with rivetted cross members. The top two videos are actually about the current shape. Toyota made it look tough on the outside though, following the Dodge styling a little, and throwing a larger 5.7L V8 in it. The frame is still pretty weak though, and that's why you see the bed wobble all over the place looking as if it's completely separated from the rest of the vehicle when going over rough road. No doubt Toyota fans will still justify their purchase and still say it's the toughest, most reliable truck out there, even if they were guaranteed to explode as they rolled out of the factory.
the chassis torsion video is dated june 2007, three years ago probably more.. youre right, sorry on the 2010 model only the front engine frame is boxed, mid section rolled lip c-section, the rear is open c channel designed to flex to minimize cabin vibration under load, so more for passenger comfort then all out load carrying capacity.. plus, fully boxed doesnt always mean its strong as flex is a major part of chassis and body performance..
1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo
Old 14-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #13
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetchh
the chassis torsion video is dated june 2007, three years ago probably more.. youre right, sorry on the 2010 model only the front engine frame is boxed, mid section rolled lip c-section, the rear is open c channel designed to flex to minimize cabin vibration under load, so more for passenger comfort then all out load carrying capacity.. plus, fully boxed doesnt always mean its strong as flex is a major part of chassis and body performance..
If the thickness of the metal is the same, the boxed frame should be similar. But you are right, it is possible to have a ****-weak frame that is boxed. They are usually pretty thin.
Old 14-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetchh
Funny how none of the locally available twin cab 4wds have c-channel frames. Hilux, Navara, Ranger, Colorado, Triton all have boxed frame all the way to the rear end.....
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #15
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry I meant to say if the thickness of the metal is equal, the boxed frame should be stronger.
Old 14-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #16
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

It would be a personal import i believe, don't think Toyota would be bringing it here as it would eat into Hilux sales i think
Old 14-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #17
yetchh
go bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Funny how none of the locally available twin cab 4wds have c-channel frames. Hilux, Navara, Ranger, Colorado, Triton all have boxed frame all the way to the rear end.....
yeah, so does my fj55.. its either money saving in the us or the fact that the smaller 4x4s do far more off road work than the bigger kuz, dunno..

they import them commercially into nz, so i wonder why not here

http://www.tundra.co.nz
1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo
Old 14-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #18
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

The 99-current model Tundra's are currently on the SEVS list of allowed imports. There's a couple of places on the Gold Coast that comply them. They get converted to RHD and cost a lot to do.
I guess they're not offered by Toyota Australia because they're only built in LHD. Toyota do plan on bringing in the FJ Cruiser into Australia sometime this year though.
Old 15-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #19
Aulpgute

Do the Gold Coast companies that do these conversions have a website or contact details?
Aulpgute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #20
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

The joint on the Gold Coast is
M.J.H. Crash Repairs
U18/ 229 Brisbane Rd, Biggera Waters QLD 4216
(07) 5537 6399

The guys name is Mark, I work with his brother in Perth,
He has 6 Tundras in at the moment doing the conversions, also imports the Nissan Titans.

Ive got his mobile number to, PM me if you want it.
gregg_13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post