Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
trendkill555666

Default power delivery

With the new s/c boss coming out and all the talk about power delivery, power down and car weight, it got me thinking about the differences between the EL XR8, AU XR8, AU3 XR8, BA/BF XR8, FGXR8 and I guess the GS. (in standard form)

How good was the windsor in the EL compared to the AU?

What was the differences in power delivery, windsor to boss to s/c boss?

And car weight wise EL, AU, BA to FG?

trendkill555666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

The Windsors have more torque down low compared to the boss (well the 260 anyway) so they have fairly linear power delivery from idle. The boss needs to get onto it's powerband and then takes off like a rocket and revs higher and freer. Thats very generally speaking too. Each one would be slightly different in personallity. The Boss is criticised for being gutless down low but it might just be that it is powerful up high and that makes it feel gutless down low.

Also the old windsors run out of puff by about 4500rpm. The AUII/AUIII windsors breath better up top.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old el xr8 was a nice grunter up to about 4,500rpm, then it went breathless. The lighter weight was a big asset in handling, especially on the track, but the suspension was not as good as the au on the road. The series 3 auxr8 was a real hoot. Tons of grunt up to around 5,000rpm, good balance and handling, a great drivers car.
The 260 xr8 has nothing on the au for grunt up to 4,000rpm. Nose heavy, small powerband, but sounds great. The FG addresses most of those issues, but can't overcome the nose-heaviness
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont think you will find anyone on here that can comment on the sc/boss yet but going by the dyno sheets ive seen it will pull like a train from 2000rpm to redline
in another leauge to any engine that ford have had except the clevo of course lol

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

82XD393.3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82XD393.3v
in another leauge to any engine that ford have had except the clevo of course lol
cough ahemm sure. That is the clevo that came out in a 302 configuration that was slower than the 250 2V 6cyl in the xa falcon. Last clevo I owned was an xb 302 that was a real slug. No power down low, even less up top, and nothing in between
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 19-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
trendkill555666

Ok so the s/c boss will torque monster but with power down issues and over all weight how good will the driving experience be ????? guess we will find out soon. (not trying to bag it, just wondering how good (or bad) the power delivery of some of the previous XR8 falcon were).
EL looked tough and had good useable torque but ran out to early, but how often do you rev over 4500rpm on a day to day basis? Was the car balanced? Was it fun to drive?
AU was better, but was it just let down by it looks? how did the V8 sound.
BA/BF heavy, not much down low but again looked tough and sounded brilliant at full song.

Clevo......no good??

The reason I ask is because I want to get another V8, I like to look of the EL but have not had a Windsor before and there are not a lot of EL XR8's around (series 2, manual and not white), on the other hand there are alot of AU1-3's around.
I would hope to get a (relativley) unmolested , clean example then mod it myself to be a tough daily driver but I want to start with a good drivers car.
trendkill555666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have tried the following - EF XR8, AU2 & 3 XR8, BA XR8, plus a number of other tasty blue oval V8's, but that's another story.

The pick of the bunch, IMO, is definately either a XR8 AU2 - 3 220kw engine. Can be easily & cheaply modified for a relatively tough street daily driver, without going over the top - and relatively economical to run.

The front quad headlight assembly also makes the AUXR8 series stand out from the crowd - the handling of an AU XR8 is also superior in my view as a daily driver.

The 220 kw Windsor, with a good 2 1/2 " inch system, hi flo cats & extractors, tuned, K & N filter or stainless CAI, will produce an exhaust note that comes close to one of the classic notes that is still, IMO, still trying to be replicated.

Driving through the twisty bits, down low the Windsor has the grunt where it really matters - but becomes breathless in the upper rev limits - drive & fun wise, for a daily driver - an AU2 -3 XR8 outshines the others.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As auxr said, the series 2 and 3 au xr series are the best. I think they eclipse the ba 260 boss motors and handling fairly easily, but not the 290 newer ones. I just never bought one based on their looks, both inside and out. The TE50 series 3 almost had me, but then the new gt was on the horizon.

The comment about the clevo was tongue in cheek, and not really applicable for the modern vehicles.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush