Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

Default 15in wheels over au2 brakes

hey guys,
I'm setting my ute up for a pro street theme and have already got my back wheels(convo pro) and now i need the fronts. I've seen plenty of ba falcons with 15in front runners so i wasn't worried when i bought the back one's but now i need the fronts. So does anyone know what backspace and size i need to clear au2 brakes? i was thinking 15x6 with very little backspace so the rim opens up over the brakes? I have always assumed 15in would fit with the correct offset because i couldn't see ba guys reverting back to au1 brakes to go drag racing but you know what they say about assumptions lol. Any help would be great. Cheers, preston

blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

G'day Preston , this is a topic im sure many of us would like a definative answer on ... we have a large gathering of racers on here and i have yet to see pics of what was done or needed to be done to get Frontrunners over BA front brakes..

I just use bigger space savers from other models ( Nissan/Mopar), i tried WELD wheels last year (FLUB378) but i needed loooonger studs to secure them properly...

I will subscribe to this thread and hope to here from the sponsors who run these type of vehicles ...Daz
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

From my understanding ... AUII XL utes had 15" steelies as standard ... and that's over the twin psiton front calipers ... so I am pretty sure they will fit.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
JaguarDave

If it's of any help to you, I have an AUII Fairlane and ran it on a set of fifteen inch standard factory AU "classic" alloys for quite a while with absolutely zero problems.
JaguarDave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 11:40 PM   #5
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now thats wierd, would it be that 15s dont fit on series 2 and 3 a myth?

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 12:11 AM   #6
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
From my understanding ... AUII XL utes had 15" steelies as standard ... and that's over the twin psiton front calipers ... so I am pretty sure they will fit.
Mechan1k my au1 xl had 16in on the front and 15in on the back but thats how i bought it i don't know .if they came like that standard. I have an old 15in steelie there i'll give it a try tomorrow.
I thought there might have been a few drag racers on here that have tried this before?
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 12:37 AM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
Now thats wierd, would it be that 15s dont fit on series 2 and 3 a myth?
correct, it's a myth. perhaps certain factory 15" alloys might foul, but most will fit fine. by and large a myth.
Old 29-10-2010, 04:17 AM   #8
The Monty
Just slidin'

When I converted my S1 Fairmont to S2/3 brakes the S1 Fairmont alloys 100% deffinately did NOT fit. They wouldnt go anywhere close to going on.
Old 29-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
When I converted my S1 Fairmont to S2/3 brakes the S1 Fairmont alloys 100% deffinately did NOT fit. They wouldnt go anywhere close to going on.
Yep Josh , likewise an e-series 15" alloy wont clear my BA rears BUT an e-series 15" steel does !

oh and they look heaps tuff widened as well
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownv8au
Mechan1k my au1 xl had 16in on the front and 15in on the back but thats how i bought it i don't know .if they came like that standard. I have an old 15in steelie there i'll give it a try tomorrow.
I thought there might have been a few drag racers on here that have tried this before?
It's has been a while since i traded my AUII in ... but I think the spare under the back of mine was a 15" steelie ... and the tyre was NEW ... so I'd say if it came with one as a spare from factory ... it should fit on all corners.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #11
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old AU ute had 15" alloy's on it.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #12
Barryxr6turbo

AU2 XL utes come with 15 inch steel rims standard.

They have the series 2 brakes.

It all depends on offset and how that particular wheel is made.
Barryxr6turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #13
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You need a min 4 1/2" back space on 15s,5 1/2 if your going wider than 6.5" from memory or it could be the other way around I will have a look when I get home , VPW do a Front runner that fit for around $180

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post