Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 17-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
Freddy121
Starter Motor

Default LT 2007 Focus TDCI looking to purchase

All

Looking to purchase a Ford Focus, and thought I would join this forum and ask the experts here.

The questions I have is :-

Is there any difference in the 2007 LT TDCI and 2008 LT TDCI.

I have noticed the 2007 LT TDCI when turning the ignition to the ON position results in some beeps, this after checking online is due to not putting on the drivers seatbelt, how come this does not happen in the 2008 version.

Is the 2007 version too close to the LS version, hence would rather leave this alone?

Thanks for any words of advice that can be offered

Freddy

Freddy121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One main advanatge of the 2007 model diesel is it has no particulate filter. These things stop the black soot from leaving the exhaust and "burn" it by injecting extra fuel. They are a potential source of problems. Nissan SUVs have heaps of fuel consumption issues because of their filter although have not heard of any with focus yet. Also you need a different oil for the motor with those.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
Freddy121
Starter Motor

Thanks, I heard about these DPFs, Still hunting around for information on the TDCI, however at this time, I have not read many bad posts about them.

Will continue checking before I do get one...
Old 19-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a CL petrol 2006 Focus 5 speeed and a 2008 TDCI 6 speed. Apart from tyre noise from the original Goodyears (and no sign of wear at 40000) the diesel is a great car. 5.2ltrs/100km on highway and 6.4ltrs/100km on round town only work.
Bags of torque -these cars do cruise. At 110km/hr the petrol is revving at 3100rpm the diesel about 2050rpm. I am forever looking for gear 6 in the petrol car.
Petrol car 6.5 highway and 7.8 round town. Both have given no faults or trouble whatsoever except for 1 blown headlight bulb and brakes due on the petrol at 85000kms.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
Freddy121
Starter Motor

All

Thanks for all your words of wisdom, I purchased a 2007 TDCI today, its gots just under 70,000kms, but in fair condition.

I agree its got alot of torque and is really fun to drive, looking forward to driving it more this weekend,

Yeah....
Old 19-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Dont forget to post pics when you can!
Congrats on the purchase
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
Freddy121
Starter Motor

Yep, will get some pics out, just need to give it a good clean, sounds like some weekend work

Also, since I am new to the Diesels, what is the optimum REV range to change gears, I am currently shifting at 2000RPM, is this right?

Is there any suggestions for driving styles that suit this, to get the best economy.
Old 20-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep changing at 2000rpm will give you great economy.
They will lug back to about 1200rpm but underthis there is nothing.
If you want acceleration rather than economy I work on 3000rpm, anything above this is just sending unburnt fuel out the exhaust pipe.
You will find the required accelerator/clutch match at take off is an acquired art.
When you stall one it certainly tells you most unlike a petrol stall.
Old 21-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
Turbodiesel
Torquer

It's good up to 4000rpm and loves hills. You can also take off just by using the clutch.

Putting your foot down in 6th gear at 100km/h is great fun
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
Dustproof

I agree, 100/110kph is great fun and no effort at all. I was told the torque value is roughly what a XW 302 falcon is, not bad considering I get 4.4l/100kph on a country drive.

Has anyone tried the various tuning boxes? are they a waist of time and money or do they actually work on the TDCi. If you want to punt a TDCi around a track you will need to do plenty of gear changes to keep it on the boil.

I love my TDCi
Old 22-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #11
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would be too scared to chip one of these engines. I would lose my license.
I reckon that motor is way understressed in the focus and could be rocket ship material with chip.

Have you wheelspun it in1 and 2 yet?
Old 24-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino
When you stall one it certainly tells you most unlike a petrol stall.
LOL im glad its not just my car which does this.. mine really thumps forward when it stalls, i hate it.. very different from a petrol stall
Loris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #13
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustproof

Has anyone tried the various tuning boxes? are they a waist of time and money or do they actually work on the TDCi.
I would stay away from them.. for the money they dont do very much.. mine was also constantly giving me engine faults\limp home mode when accelerating hard
Old 25-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #14
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loris
LOL im glad its not just my car which does this.. mine really thumps forward when it stalls, i hate it.. very different from a petrol stall
I use the smart idle in traffic to roll down the road, easy to just slip the clutch and roll along. I found I can do it up hills too, it takes a bit to stall the Diesel.

I was just interested in the Tuning box and thought a little more power and torque is always welcome, what model/brand is yours?

I read an article about getting 400BHP from the 2.0L focus engine, a decent Intercooler, a free flowing exhaust and tune will give the best rewards without too much fuss. Now there are cams, different turbos, porting and bigger injectors, the problem is to do this you need to pull the engine down and strengthen to bottom end and rods etc.
Old 27-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #15
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustproof

I was just interested in the Tuning box and thought a little more power and torque is always welcome, what model/brand is yours?
Got mine from this mob: http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/
Returned it about 2 weeks later
Old 27-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #16
Freddy121
Starter Motor

Thanks for the info, on this thread, I am learning heaps, never knew about this smart idle.

I am definitely enjoying driving the diesels torque...
Old 28-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #17
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy121
Thanks for the info, on this thread, I am learning heaps, never knew about this smart idle.

I am definitely enjoying driving the diesels torque...
This is only the beginning, wait until you are used to the clutch and gears. I got mine new and I have now got 40,000Km's and it goes better than ever now. I have recently tried using 20% Bio Diesel and love the stuff, a little more power and economy and the engine is quieter. Just to prove it to myself I tried a tank of regular diesel and it was back to ordinary again, I travel 40k's to get the Bio Diesel but it is worth it when my tank of fuel lasts a month, it is also a couple of cents cheaper and the car feels happier.
Old 29-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #18
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Note you void your warranty using 20% bio diesel.
Old 30-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #19
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino
Note you void your warranty using 20% bio diesel.
I think my Focus is out of warranty anyway, I have never been able to find out what the policy is from Ford. I don't think it will make any difference to the running or reliability of the car. It feels a lot better to drive though, less clatter from the engine and smoother.
Old 30-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #20
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah there is a few owner drivers running heavy trucks with big diesels where I work running the 20% no problems.