Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Default I don't understand

I start a thread for the FG aircon issue and people inform me that a discussion already exists in another thread.

So I decide to the right thing when posting news about KK's financial problems and find a suitable thread. People then claim I am thread mining and that thread is now locked.

Confused.

Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I hear you mate, and here's the solution: if you start a new thread about aircon but there is a current thread already going, you'll get told so and your thread locked. If there isn't a thread on such and such, and you go and dredge one up from 2006, then sure it's a mine and they'll lock it. A thread that old doesn't need revival, so you might as well start a new one.
Hope I don't offend you, that's just my take on it.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
I start a thread for the FG aircon issue and people inform me that a discussion already exists in another thread.
Out of 49 replies (not a bad response?) 1 mentions only that you may find information about it else where ..... that in itself is helpfull? Being pointed to the same topic for reference? Thread wasn't closed, is still going with heaps of info ...... cannot for the life of me see a problem there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
So I decide to the right thing when posting news about KK's financial problems and find a suitable thread. People then claim I am thread mining and that thread is now locked.

Confused.
Nothing worse than spending time reading a thread to find out that it is 5 years old. If you want to start a new thread on something that was covered 5 years ago .... depending it is with in T&C's there is no problems.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
kinksta
Luxojet

Is it still classified as thread mining, if say there is a thread in the project cars that hasn't been touched for a while and you just was wondering how it was all going? Or should a PM just be sent?
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

No that is normally not a problem as it relates specifically to the project car and other readers may be interested in how it is going too.

That is my take on it but then again I am not a mod, if I were I would not see a problem.

But as Auslandau said, thread mining is not enjoyed by most here and is frowned upon.
If i was to have new information to an old subject that I think might be of benefit to the forum, I would probably start a new thread that gives reference and a link to the old thread that others may read if they are interested. In the opening post give a good intro and the substance of your point so the discussion can develop without everyone having to wade through 20 pages of 5 year old posts if they chose not to.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
No that is normally not a problem as it relates specifically to the project car and other readers may be interested in how it is going too.

That is my take on it but then again I am not a mod, if I were I would not see a problem.

But as Auslandau said, thread mining is not enjoyed by most here and is frowned upon.
If i was to have new information to an old subject that I think might be of benefit to the forum, I would probably start a new thread that gives reference and a link to the old thread that others may read if they are interested. In the opening post give a good intro and the substance of your point so the discussion can develop without everyone having to wade through 20 pages of 5 year old posts if they chose not to.
true.. my problem is that at times i can't find the info i need...
motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

If you cannot find the info ....... start a thread asking. If the thread exists somewhere and someone can put a link up the new thread might be closed to continue with the other one.

Think many have to understand that most thread closures isn't because someone has done something wrong ...... its just to keep the same topics to a minimum and stops people from repeating themselves on topics that are commonly asked.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
If you cannot find the info ....... start a thread asking. If the thread exists somewhere and someone can put a link up the new thread might be closed to continue with the other one.

Think many have to understand that most thread closures isn't because someone has done something wrong ...... its just to keep the same topics to a minimum and stops people from repeating themselves on topics that are commonly asked.
So you are saying mentioning and bumping up old threads annoys you and other moderaters ?

I was never aware of this and no one has ever told me this fact.. I have always dug up old threads because of the wealth of knowledge hidden here, if you cut /paste and try to pretend it was your New idea you would be frowned upon , but if you bring up a 4 yr old thread because the info is currently useful to newbies -that apparently irks people as well ....now i'm confused

I guess i wont bring up or start any threads just to keep my nose clean , when questions are asked and i believe i know where the solution lies i will link my favourites/bookmarks into the answer ... presumably that should keep me out of the spotlight for now....
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLER351
I was never aware of this and no one has ever told me this fact.. I have always dug up old threads because of the wealth of knowledge hidden here
This is something I agree with as well. Some of the older threads here have excellent information on them and great detail in some posts. It's good to keep that going if the topic of a new post (years later) is the same. Other forums have threads dating back years but if new info comes to hand then it's good to have it in the old thread so you don't have a doubling up of threads everywhere (messy) - my opinion only.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sometimes i google answers to my questions about my car, and FordForums has the most relevant answer, it is difficult not to mine, when someone has had your exact problem that you cant find anywhere else, i usually try to PM.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #11
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the difference is the type of threads!!

One about KK and how much people enjoy or don't enjoy that was mined so that new info about the financial info is probably not the correct type of thread to mine, a new thread would have been a good idea.
Whereas a useful one in regards to something that everyone might find helpful being mined with new info (or asking how something worked or is going, is ok to do so...

That is just my thoughts on it anyways, could be wrong too :
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

In all seriousness, a small amount of discretion should be used when thread-dredging. If it's a thread on "which tyre to use on my AU XR8" well, leave that old thread alone, it's probably been done to death and is most likely out of date. Start a new one and get current advice.
If it's a thread on fuel prices, same thing. But if it's about fords debt history or how GM us maintaining it's debt, then that's probably ok, as you can just tack info on to the end. This is just my take on it.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post