Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #61
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I sent the link to Ted Baillieu office this is the response i got.

Thank you for your message submitted to Ted Baillieu 29 May 2010 via his website.

Ted has seen the YouTube video from Topher (Unpopular View) and appreciates your interest in the “magic solution”.
The idea of bringing water from Tasmania to Victoria is not a new one. It is a proposal that would require vast sums of money from Victoria, estimated to exceed any benefit. It is therefore difficult to envisage budget capacity for investment in such a project.

Furthermore it would be contingent on full support from the Tasmanian State Government and Hydro Tasmania, both of whom have clearly stated they will not consider the sale of Tasmanian water to other states.

Nevertheless we have passed a copy of your message on to Louise Asher, Shadow Minister for Urban Water, for her information.

Thank you for taking the time to let Ted know your thoughts on this important matter.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #62
JazManXII
Starter Motor

i would of thought that the promise of never having water restrictions again(well not for a long time at least) would exceed a one off build project cost.
but then if tassie government doesnt want to sell the wasted water then well yeah its prolly not a great idea
JazManXII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #63
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy

Ted has seen the YouTube video from Topher (Unpopular View) and appreciates your interest in the “magic solution”.
The idea of bringing water from Tasmania to Victoria is not a new one. It is a proposal that would require vast sums of money from Victoria, estimated to exceed any benefit. It is therefore difficult to envisage budget capacity for investment in such a project.
Strange, I’m sure the video states that the pipe can be build for less cost than the desal plant..
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 05:04 PM   #64
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are 2 videos in this thread, one that MAD posted and one that I posted, I think the link to the one MAD posted was the one sent to Ted
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #65
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the cost of the N/S pipeline + Desal plant would'nt be enough to cover the Tas project..... I doubt it..... Oh and there would actually be some water in the pipe when the pumps are turned on... Now would'nt that be great!!!!!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 10:28 PM   #66
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazManXII
but then if tassie government doesnt want to sell the wasted water then well yeah its prolly not a great idea
And even getting this idea (or ideas of this kind) to any forum where positive action could be taken would be a mammoth task.

The concept of long term sustainability will never be adopted by people who are elected into (or out of) power every few years, yet it's the government who decides what is in the best interests of the people...
Tribal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 11:01 PM   #67
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when i was in tassie at christmas time they werent exactly over endowed with water.seems funny how every time lake eyre is wet we have above average rainfall .wouldnt it be easier to divert water from the annual northern floods down there and let nature take its course.
jmack is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 10:28 AM   #68
MAD
Petro-sexual

Diverting water is not exactly nature's course.

The water supply problem in Tassie was brought up in the videos. There is always water in the dams, just none falling on the farms. The money made from selling water to Vic could help pay for upgrading their water infrastructure which would help get more water to the farms.
Old 22-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #69
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or, we could start eating vegan/vegetarian, grass fed free range and start growing hemp, like we always did.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #70
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Desal is the way of the future, and yes i have tasted desal water and it's far better tasting and cleaner than the water i currently get at my tap. Like someone said only problem with a large desal is the amount of power it takes to run it, but the solution here is (also like someone mentioned) nuclear plants.

Anyway my 2c.
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #71
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:

Thank you for your message submitted to Ted Baillieu 29 May 2010 via his website.

Furthermore it would be contingent on full support from the Tasmanian State Government and Hydro Tasmania, both of whom have clearly stated they will not consider the sale of Tasmanian water to other states.

Nevertheless we have passed a copy of your message on to Louise Asher, Shadow Minister for Urban Water, for her information.

Thank you for taking the time to let Ted know your thoughts on this important matter.
Just another problem with it, Tasmania has been on water restrictions for the last 3 years. They're having below average rainfall ATM and have been for a while. My parents live there. Last time I was down (June) I wasn't even allowed to wash the car.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #72
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Build a dam in Kilmore. We have had so much rain that my property is still covered in water (on the leveled areas) despite being on a slope! Been like this for weeks and the ground here is so waterlogged, it just sitting like ponds that never empty. There are frogs everywhere. Driveway is stuffed and now has holes filled with water that are up to 6 inches deep. I'll be off to the drags today in a GT that is covered in mud and I have given up cleaning her until it improves.

Kilmore didn't have the water restrictions last year I could wash cars the entire summer.

GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #73
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Just another problem with it, Tasmania has been on water restrictions for the last 3 years. They're having below average rainfall ATM and have been for a while. My parents live there. Last time I was down (June) I wasn't even allowed to wash the car.
Didn't you pay any attention? There is no shortage of water on the West coast of Tasmania,
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #74
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:

After reading this I thought I'd go straight to the source...

This is my original email to the Tas premier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
David,
I have recently seen a couple of videos that have been published at youtube.com about a possible solution to Melbourne's water shortage, one that doesnt involve using huge amounts of brown coal generated electricity, one that doesnt increase the salinity of the local ocean water, one that actually will supply enough water to Melbourne's water storages and one that will actually have a positive effect on the environment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZwy1dR0oM4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2zECTIKsFs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzXrmioDk9U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADVB3DqEYK0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTNs11XIFN8

We have been informed by our government that Tasmania will not sell water to Victoria, but how can I be sure this is the truth.
Hence my reason for sending this email. What better way to find the truth than to ask at the source?
So, what is Tasmania's stance is on the possibility of selling water to Victoria?

Regards,
Paul.
The response took a while but here it is...

I think he has overlooked the finer details, such as the tiny amount of water that would actually be taken annually from the dams compared to the annual flow, and the selling of this amount would go towards paying for their water infrastructure upgrades/enhancements.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #75
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, our new Victorian Premier, true to his word has turned off the controversial North / South pipeline as of yesterday - well done Ted (and I am a Labor voter)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1225963311459
Old 01-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #76
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
Well, our new Victorian Premier, true to his word has turned off the controversial North / South pipeline as of yesterday - well done Ted (and I am a Labor voter)

Yep... Even though it's been dormant for months, still great news!
Now, let's see if he has the goolies to re-visit the Arundle retarding basin proposal??
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #77
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:

You mean the two way pipeline that was to be used in either direction, depending on where the water was required, even though it was only fitted with one way pumps and piping that didnt suit two-way water flow?
Maybe he could spend some $$ on it and turn it into what labor had promised in the first place. Then any excess from the desal plant can be pumped up to the river to increase flows.

Now if only he would take an axe to the desal plant and cut the losses on that stupid waste of money. So many more options that wouldnt have the massive ongoing running costs, or the increase of electricity usage of the desal plant. And our water would maintain it's great taste.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #78
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As I haved said before, why not just collect the warer from East Victoria where they seem to have heaps every year even through the dry.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #79
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Hooray!
Old 01-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #80
Bobman
Regulator

So much rain this year and it's pouring right now.

A new dam even if built 3 years ago would have been full by now. Even Eildon is well over 60% full.

Disgraceful!

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #81
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
You mean the two way pipeline that was to be used in either direction, depending on where the water was required, even though it was only fitted with one way pumps and piping that didnt suit two-way water flow?
Maybe he could spend some $$ on it and turn it into what labor had promised in the first place. Then any excess from the desal plant can be pumped up to the river to increase flows.

Now if only he would take an axe to the desal plant and cut the losses on that stupid waste of money. So many more options that wouldnt have the massive ongoing running costs, or the increase of electricity usage of the desal plant. And our water would maintain it's great taste.
imo its just lucky we had some rain this year and not so hot tempretures, had the drought continued and we were down to 24%
? water capacity, the desal plant could have been a life saver, not only that, another 10 years time they are expecting population to have another million people in melbourne, even if its not used we need a back up.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #82
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
imo its just lucky we had some rain this year and not so hot tempretures, had the drought continued and we were down to 24%
? water capacity,
and the goddam stupid pipeline was pulling water from the Goulburn River which is the mouth of Eildon and Eildon was at 7%, how smart is that.

The Goulburn Valley is the food bowl of Australia, yet that ****** Brumby was ready to sacrifice all that so that Melbourne could have water, what would he have done after they sucked Eildon dry, use the pipeline as a train line? FFS!!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #83
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
So much rain this year and it's pouring right now.

A new dam even if built 3 years ago would have been full by now. Even Eildon is well over 60% full.

Disgraceful!
Wasnt the first investigation into whether a dam would be the way to go done about 7 years ago?
Would be well and truly full by now.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #84
munkky
turbo mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Dang, every time I try to watch that clip I get distracted by the swimsuit videos on the right.. :(
me to lol hahahaha

2008 FG G6E TURBO
AND YES IT HAS A LSD
ORSM F.C.
munkky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #85
rodderz

Pipeline was a waste of time and money imo, better ways to collect water. Pipeline hasnt been used in months, and in an earlier post of mine I mentioned that the pipe was severely damaged last year or before due to lack of care during construction, it's hardly ever ran at capacity.

Eildon is at 69% full at the moment, probably 70% after this weekend. Yet last week during minor flooding of central and north Vic, yet they let out 1000's or megalitres to "flush out black water" from the Murray (tannins and rotting leaf litter from the embankments that washed into river), which the rain would do anyway?

Most houses need to have water tanks installed now that hook up to your dunny/laundry to pass certian energy saving requirements, I'm not sure if factories, buildings, amenities etc in city areas have to do the same? If they implemented that in a lot of places it would be a start to saving a lot of water.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 11:24 PM   #86
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As I haved said before, why not just collect the warer from East Victoria where they seem to have heaps every year even through the dry.
Do you propose to put a dam in the Mitchell River National Park?
Old 05-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #87
JamesR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

whats a water restriction? :P

my photo blog;
http://www.jamesruff.net
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post